• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United chairman Ron Martin hopes to name new manager this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've had a tiny representation of Weymouth fans on here and a couple have contributed to this thread with reasoned feedback, answered questions about Molesley and wished him well should he decide on the Essex Riviera. As a collective, they're just like any other bunch of fans following their club.

Sure, some have been decent contributors & conducted themselves exemplary, and I appreciate and understand their angst at losing the soul of their club.

But have you seen their forum? Or Twitter?

Just a couple of thoughts.

• Ron still hasn't learnt - everything moves at a glacial pace
  • The longer this goes on the less chance I see of it happening
  • The longer this goes on the less MM seems to fit the criteria Ron was looking for in a new manger

Imagine for a second, you have had 3 good seasons, with 2 promotions, a team from only the league above wants your manager (and support staff), that team has a dubious reputation as a managers graveyard of late, doesn't seem financially stable at present and has a perfectly good replacement with the club, I think you'll all be going bonkers as well!

We at least need someone who has managed a first team at some kind of senior level! Would be a really risky appointment
I get what your saying but i do not agree, Pep would never have got the Barca job if they went like that, yes i know it is different levels but for me if you think someone has the stuff to succeed then you give them the job. You can always give it to an experienced manager and they fail as well, lots of history of that

I expect king Molesley is having second thoughts after seeing how Goodship has been turned from a 30 goal a season striker to just another benchwarmer, whilst every other youth player is given a chance in front of him. Shambles

We on the other hand have taken a punt on plenty of non league players who have failed to step up to the professional game.

Compared to most Goodship had a decent first season.

Last edited:
Imagine for a second, you have had 3 good seasons, with 2 promotions, a team from only the league above wants your manager (and support staff), that team has a dubious reputation as a managers graveyard of late, doesn't seem financially stable at present and has a perfectly good replacement with the club, I think you'll all be going bonkers as well!

I disagree with the managers graveyard bit. Generally speaking we're a club that gives managers a chance. We also have a very well respected academy.

As with all things, you'll see it the way that suits your narrative.

The only constant in all our failings, however, is Ron and the lack of a CEO.

Before this saga got underway Ron said he wanted a young, up and coming manager that would live SUFC. If you can't make your mind up if you want to be here then you don't fit that criteria.

People seem to take his words out of context.

At no point did Ron say he hopes to name the manager at the weekend.

His words were:

"This should allow me to button down terms over the weekend.”

He then gave us the update at the end of the weekend:

"We are now in the final throes of settling contractual terms and expect to announce our man within 48 hours.”

It’s not Ron’s fault if certain people are holding up the deal and stalling.
Agree, I think RM has to issue a deadline though. Then we can move on and prepare the best we can for the season

So if, sadly for us, MM is favourite for the job, where do you think the barrier lies? Personal terms, mass staff transfer, Weymouth FC, AFC Bournemouth, or with Southend itself? It seems this transfer has more hoops to jump through than most.

I disagree with the managers graveyard bit. Generally speaking we're a club that gives managers a chance. We also have a very well respected academy.

As with all things, you'll see it the way that suits your narrative.

The only constant in all our failings, however, is Ron and the lack of a CEO.

Before this saga got underway Ron said he wanted a young, up and coming manager that would live SUFC. If you can't make your mind up if you want to be here then you don't fit that criteria.

I've only looked at the recent record of the last few years, it's how it is, not my narrative. We can all live on past glories but it's where we are now and the season going forward which is the important bit. We have also had our share of owners who shouldn't be allowed near a football club, it's not a great experience and nearly seen us fold, it just adds to the alarm bells.

So if, sadly for us, MM is favourite for the job, where do you think the barrier lies? Personal terms, mass staff transfer, Weymouth FC, AFC Bournemouth, or with Southend itself? It seems this transfer has more hoops to jump through than most.

Ron seems to want to go beyond what is normal. He should hire the manager and let the manager pick his team. It's as if Ron doesn't trust the manager's judgement.

Big shock! Bigger club tries to take manager from smaller club.

Big shock! Bigger club tries to take manager from smaller club.

But that's just a part of it isn't it? We have also been bankrolled, owner pulled the plug, nearly went bust. We also had talk of a shiny new stadium funded from the sale of land to a supermarket, we were also owned by a property developer, just sounds all to familiar, let's hope it works for you.

I've only looked at the recent record of the last few years, it's how it is, not my narrative. We can all live on past glories but it's where we are now and the season going forward which is the important bit. We have also had our share of owners who shouldn't be allowed near a football club, it's not a great experience and nearly seen us fold, it just adds to the alarm bells.
Nope. You need to take Ron's full tenure into account. If you don't you're skewing the results to suit a narrative.

We also aren't even close to folding. HMRC and SUFC play games and they're pretty much the only ones we're guaranteed not to lose.

I'm no Ron fan, but I actually believe we're closer to all our financial issues being sorted than we ever have been. He's also in the middle of a refinancing that will see us through this season and next. As much as I hate it when he says things like that he has never failed to produce the goods.

Nope. You need to take Ron's full tenure into account. If you don't you're skewing the results to suit a narrative.

We also aren't even close to folding. HMRC and SUFC play games and they're pretty much the only ones we're guaranteed not to lose.

I'm no Ron fan, but I actually believe we're closer to all our financial issues being sorted than we ever have been. He's also in the middle of a refinancing that will see us through this season and next. As much as I hate it when he says things like that he has never failed to produce the goods.

Answered it for me thanks.

Sure, some have been decent contributors & conducted themselves exemplary, and I appreciate and understand their angst at losing the soul of their club.

But have you seen their forum? Or Twitter?

They haven’t seen Ron’s plans for the new ground, simple really ?.. I think they make fair points on the whole and echo many on here. The longer this goes on the more I’m thinking this guy and his staff may be complicated and expensive to shift to Essex and MM is clearly going to want certain reassurances, rightly so.

In a way I want Ron to just appoint Craig Fagan and stop ****ing about..

But why does he play games with HMRC? I can only go on what's in the press, tbh, I've not looked at his history as SUFC hasn't needed to be on my radar until Goodship went to you

It's like George Michael leaving Wham! but without Andrew Ridgeley having a writers credit on Careless Whisper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back