• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United chairman Ron Martin hopes to name new manager this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
But why does he play games with HMRC? I can only go on what's in the press, tbh, I've not looked at his history as SUFC hasn't needed to be on my radar until Goodship went to you

Because we, like many clubs, have cash flow issues and he pays them late to ensure football related debts are paid first. That way we don't incur any EFL penalties such as fines and points deductions.

HMRC don't like the fact that they are less important to football clubs in general than football related debts so the minute we're late they issue proceedings. They and we know the debt will be paid off before the case reaches court.

Once proceedings are issued we are put in an embargo, but that is only an issue when the transfer window is open. Most of the time we're sorted by then, but not last time.

Once the refinancing is sorted the debt will be paid.

I've only looked at the recent record of the last few years, it's how it is, not my narrative. We can all live on past glories but it's where we are now and the season going forward which is the important bit. We have also had our share of owners who shouldn't be allowed near a football club, it's not a great experience and nearly seen us fold, it just adds to the alarm bells.

You're picking and choosing things to suit your narrative. The Chairman has overseen a 7-year, a 5-year and a 3-year managerial reign and has mostly shown good backing to those managers. The recent managerial merry-go-round here is a result of shocking recruitment under one manager which let a toxic atmosphere set in. Unfortunately it is easier and cheaper to sack the manager to try to instigate change, than it is to sack a load of players. That's just the way football is. Our chairman might have many faults but the last 3 years here are not indicative of the way he wants to run the club, and he wants stability. We might now have a much weaker squad on paper than we'd like but we have removed most of not all of the disease on the playing side of the club and can now move on in that respect and get some stability.

The fact is that the club cannot survive at Roots Hall. There just isn't enough scope for it to be self-sufficient. He is trying to get the stadium move completed, which yes he will benefit from hugely as a property developer but so will the football club. It finally seems like it will happen now that the council have signed a deal to come on board and with them being able to fulfil their government new housing quota and with the amount of money that they stand to make from rent on the housing, I can't see any way that planning permission won't be granted in the next month or 2. Once we get that planning permission, our fortunes will change hugely and that will be very attractive to any incoming manager.

The fans and chairman want a structure, an identity and a change of culture at the club. MM will be given a huge opportunity to stamp his authority on an EFL club with bags of potential and to turn around its fortunes. We might only be a division above you but there is no denying that we are a bigger club with way more potential and if RM can show MM how our fortunes are on the verge of transforming, he'd be crazy to turn down the opportunity.

And you might say 'we have higher aspirations' for him but it's not your place to decide what's best for him. Only he can do that.

Question is, if MM turns around to Ron and says no does he instantly then turn to Fagan and say it’s yours? Or do we have further delays whilst a deal is struck with Fagan?

Today’s the day chaps.

No inside knowledge, I’m just absolutely fed up of waiting any longer! It’s less painful waiting outside New Look changing rooms for the Mrs to try on 800 different items and buy none!

And New Look originated in Weymouth. Seems to be a bit of a theme here ?

But why does he play games with HMRC? I can only go on what's in the press, tbh, I've not looked at his history as SUFC hasn't needed to be on my radar until Goodship went to you

I run a company and pay HMRC at the very last moment.

Well, the very last moment before they start lawyering up,

You're picking and choosing things to suit your narrative. The Chairman has overseen a 7-year, a 5-year and a 3-year managerial reign and has mostly shown good backing to those managers. The recent managerial merry-go-round here is a result of shocking recruitment under one manager which let a toxic atmosphere set in. Unfortunately it is easier and cheaper to sack the manager to try to instigate change, than it is to sack a load of players. That's just the way football is. Our chairman might have many faults but the last 3 years here are not indicative of the way he wants to run the club, and he wants stability. We might now have a much weaker squad on paper than we'd like but we have removed most of not all of the disease on the playing side of the club and can now move on in that respect and get some stability.

The fact is that the club cannot survive at Roots Hall. There just isn't enough scope for it to be self-sufficient. He is trying to get the stadium move completed, which yes he will benefit from hugely as a property developer but so will the football club. It finally seems like it will happen now that the council have signed a deal to come on board and with them being able to fulfil their government new housing quota and with the amount of money that they stand to make from rent on the housing, I can't see any way that planning permission won't be granted in the next month or 2. Once we get that planning permission, our fortunes will change hugely and that will be very attractive to any incoming manager.

The fans and chairman want a structure, an identity and a change of culture at the club. MM will be given a huge opportunity to stamp his authority on an EFL club with bags of potential and to turn around its fortunes. We might only be a division above you but there is no denying that we are a bigger club with way more potential and if RM can show MM how our fortunes are on the verge of transforming, he'd be crazy to turn down the opportunity.

And you might say 'we have higher aspirations' for him but it's not your place to decide what's best for him. Only he can do that.

I'm not aware of the limitations of Roots Hall, only been to Southend once, and that was the pier. I'm not arguing you are a bigger club, that's obvious but MM would not only be moving from us, but Bournemouth who are bigger than both of us on recent history. He may be waiting to see if he gets a promotion within Bournemouth and this could force their hand? I guess it comes down to if MM believes everything he is told

None of our recent mangers moved family to Southend, nor did Graham Coughlan.....Its simple not an issue for anyone who wants a job in the EFL......If it was why would you apply in the first place?

Players are different because they have a choice, in the end thats why James Henry didn't sign for us.

Plus there is a big assumption that its all Weymouth staff coming with him. It could well be compensation for his choice of number 2 at a different club etc.

As other have said, opportunities in football are rare and often not repeated. Tilly failed to take his as a player and manager and its cost him.

I run a company and pay HMRC at the very last moment.

Well, the very last moment before they start lawyering up,
Agree and thats the point your can do, so I do not have a problem with the club (or anyone for that matter) doing exactly that. There are more clubs than us that do exactly this, some pretty big clubs do it too, HMRC do not treat every club evely, some they give more time too others they dont. That maybe down to history of pushing it to the very limit and beyond. However, your allowed to pay at the very last minute, i actually think they do not add interest so you could pay (if i am correct on that) up until it goes to court.

Last edited:
I'm not aware of the limitations of Roots Hall, only been to Southend once, and that was the pier. I'm not arguing you are a bigger club, that's obvious but MM would not only be moving from us, but Bournemouth who are bigger than both of us on recent history. He may be waiting to see if he gets a promotion within Bournemouth and this could force their hand? I guess it comes down to if MM believes everything he is told

I just can't believe that any self-respecting manager would be waiting to see if he gets a backroom role at another club. Yes, a bigger club. But he has now had a taste of management part-time and I think that if he's ambitious and he honestly sees himself as a manager then turning down a full-time manager's role for a backroom staff role anywhere would be madness.

If he had got the Norwich job I suspect he would still be a league manager today.

Who knows as 10 years in football is avery long time. Its certainly fair to say even an average time at Norwich would have given him another go at somewhere much better than Lincoln.....Who for the younger viewers, were a disaster waiting to happen when Tilly took over.

Success at Norwich and who knows where he may have ended up.

Surely a decision has to be made today or tomorrow. Closing in on the beginning of the league season and no manager to guide the ship. I think the longer we draw this issue out, the more unfair it is for Fagan, who is clearly ready to go and has his 2nd in command already sorted.

Who knows as 10 years in football is avery long time. Its certainly fair to say even an average time at Norwich would have given him another go at somewhere much better than Lincoln.....Who for the younger viewers, were a disaster waiting to happen when Tilly took over.

Success at Norwich and who knows where he may have ended up.
We probably ended up surviving in the championship under his replacement, who signed the right players to keep SUFC up ??‍♂️

Surely a decision has to be made today or tomorrow. Closing in on the beginning of the league season and no manager to guide the ship. I think the longer we draw this issue out, the more unfair it is for Fagan, who is clearly ready to go and has his 2nd in command already sorted.

Well the players have been given the day off today.

Maybe it’s so Ron can give MM a guided tour of B&L?

Or maybe it’s to finalise Fagan’s promotion?

Either way, I expect we’ll hear something today, one way or another.

I just can't believe that any self-respecting manager would be waiting to see if he gets a backroom role at another club. Yes, a bigger club. But he has now had a taste of management part-time and I think that if he's ambitious and he honestly sees himself as a manager then turning down a full-time manager's role for a backroom staff role anywhere would be madness.

What if it was no 2 at Bournemouth, yes it would be full time and we would lose him but a championship club with a billionaire backer with windfall payment and cash from player sales, remember he is only 39, there is no rush.

I agree that the Chairman must set a deadline for MM to accept or reject Southend's offer. He cannot allow this to drag on when he already has a very good alternative managerial candidate, Craig Fagan, waiting in the wings and preparing the team for the new season. I suspect the sticking points may relate to certain assurances MM may be seeking from the Chairman about Southend's financial picture, especially the lifting of the current embargo.

Well the players have been given the day off today.

Maybe it’s so Ron can give MM a guided tour of B&L?

Or maybe it’s to finalise Fagan’s promotion?

Either way, I expect we’ll hear something today, one way or another.
How have you heard about that? Also I don't mind who is appointed, both seem like good choices. Hope it's done today.

Not sure how accurate this may be , hopefully a few of the WFC can asnwer this.

From what we all understand MM is a highly rated Assistant/Manager. The main plaudits seems to come from his recent achievements at Tier 5-7 of the football pyramid where he has guided WFC to two promotions.

It seems that his (main?) role with Bournemouth has been massively influential in him beng able to achieve what he has at Weymouth, if you are able to bring in very talented youngsters from a Prem academy and blend them into a solid team at tier 6 & 7 then you are certainly going to be successful. Now if you suddenly step up to tier 4 of the EFL and try to repeat that, while you may get some success, you are less likely to have such an impact. You would have to go about things a different way, something that he has no experience of?

It appears that he is highly respected, even by 'Arry, which my not do him any favours but has his success been solely built on his connections with B'mouth at that level and is it something that suits our current financial and lack of structure?

I don't beleive this is as straight forward as it seems when looking to appoint a manager for argueably our most important season for many a decade. One false move and we're out of the league.....

I agree that the Chairman must set a deadline for MM to accept or reject Southend's offer. He cannot allow this to drag on when he already has a very good alternative managerial candidate, Craig Fagan, waiting in the wings and preparing the team for the new season. I suspect the sticking points may relate to certain assurances MM may be seeking from the Chairman about Southend's financial picture, especially the lifting of the current embargo.
I think the change to planning permission in face of COVID might allow Ron to push the plans through and we can finally put the spade in the ground. Here's to hoping that's enough to get this promising manager over the line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back