• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United chairman Ron Martin: It's been 'torture' and 'atrocious', we have to make changes

It depends. If the team are winning and the 11 on the pitch are the exact 11 I would have picked and the same formation I would pick...Then yes. If not i spend my time moaning and looking for faults. After all I have payed my money and its down to them to entertain me......Not the other way round.

If a player miss controls a pass, or the manger makes a sub I don't agree with. I certainly let him know his standards aren't good enough for me or Southend.......After all if you don't tell them they will never learn.......So I clearly do get behind them because the players and the mangers know people like me know what were are talking about and if they take it on board they will improve.
I think you sit near me.

It depends. If the team are winning and the 11 on the pitch are the exact 11 I would have picked and the same formation I would pick...Then yes. If not i spend my time moaning and looking for faults. After all I have payed my money and its down to them to entertain me......Not the other way round.

If a player miss controls a pass, or the manger makes a sub I don't agree with. I certainly let him know his standards aren't good enough for me or Southend.......After all if you don't tell them they will never learn.......So I clearly do get behind them because the players and the mangers know people like me know what were are talking about and if they take it on board they will improve.
:Fishing:

I am not aware of any issues with the training pitches, though I well remember the state of the dreadful pitch at RH in PB's last season, which - as @AndyT says - didn't help us at all that final season under Brown.

That dodgy pitch at Roots Hall produced far more home wins than what we have had recently. In fact it seemed to upset opposing managers rather than cause a problem for us.

It didn't help our fitness levels, was more the point and it imbalanced the way we liked to play under PB, which may well have created the issues with the away performances that season.

We had a midfielder with the energy of Timlin and the creativity of Wordsworth but Bond sold him to Brentford,

Other than maybe Barratt, which injuries is the training pitch responsible for? Almost all of the long term injuries were in matches (Kyprianou at Wimbledon, Hopper and Lennon home v Walsall, Coker away at Sunderland, Gard away at Col Ewe, Demetriou home v Scunthorpe, Humphrys away at Accrington).

Surely you mean Ron?

Surely you mean Ron?

Whilst I'm sure Ron was only too happy to cash in I'd heard various gossip before this season that Bond didn't fancy him as a player and told him he'd he wasn't in his plans (something that @Lord Football also alluded to on here recently). I take gossip with a pinch of salt but the ascertainable facts are that Bond played him just 4 times in 7 matches and subbed him in all 4 matches meaning that Ricky Duncan, who was only in charge 1 game, gave him 90 minutes more often!

Incidentally in 3 of the 4 matches we had a lead at the time he was subbed and in all 4 we conceded after he went off so if it was to improve us defensively it didn't work.

Leaving him on the bench at Rochdale was particularly baffling.

Anyway, here's hoping he fulfills his potential (and with it all our sell-ons) at Brentford.

Whilst I'm sure Ron was only too happy to cash in I'd heard various gossip before this season that Bond didn't fancy him as a player and told him he'd he wasn't in his plans (something that @Lord Football also alluded to on here recently). I take gossip with a pinch of salt but the ascertainable facts are that Bond played him just 4 times in 7 matches and subbed him in all 4 matches meaning that Ricky Duncan, who was only in charge 1 game, gave him 90 minutes more often!

Incidentally in 3 of the 4 matches we had a lead at the time he was subbed and in all 4 we conceded after he went off so if it was to improve us defensively it didn't work.

Leaving him on the bench at Rochdale was particularly baffling.

Anyway, here's hoping he fulfills his potential (and with it all our sell-ons) at Brentford.

Wasn't baffling to me. Not only his form but the weather and the pitch made that decision an easy one. What we did get was a fitter and fresher Dru v Sunderland. He had his best 45 minutes of football since......Ironically Sunderland away.

We never managed a shot at goal v Shrewsbury and Dru was clearly not fit enough to last 90 minutes. So Bond was right to sub him off especially when he was limping or grimacing over to the bench.

Same as you, I doubt Bond had the skills to handle Dru and his family in the way that PB did. However Dru went because he wanted it, so did his dad, his agent and Brentford. So I wouldn't listen to any of that hard done by gossip and hearsay....People should have learnt that from the Jack Bridge nonsense....A lot of fans embarrassed themselves without knowing any of the facts.

In general I would say be very careful taking the side of parents and agents over your manager.

Wasn't baffling to me. Not only his form but the weather and the pitch made that decision an easy one. What we did get was a fitter and fresher Dru v Sunderland. He had his best 45 minutes of football since......Ironically Sunderland away.

We never managed a shot at goal v Shrewsbury and Dru was clearly not fit enough to last 90 minutes. So Bond was right to sub him off especially when he was limping or grimacing over to the bench.

Same as you, I doubt Bond had the skills to handle Dru and his family in the way that PB did. However Dru went because he wanted it, so did his dad, his agent and Brentford. So I wouldn't listen to any of that hard done by gossip and hearsay....People should have learnt that from the Jack Bridge nonsense....A lot of fans embarrassed themselves without knowing any of the facts.

In general I would say be very careful taking the side of parents and agents over your manager.
what is the Jack Bridge Nonsense? Funny enough my barber was talking about him the other day. Apparently he is a good friend of his. He said that he felt he wasn’t treated well here and he wasn’t wanted..thoughts?

what is the Jack Bridge Nonsense? Funny enough my barber was talking about him the other day. Apparently he is a good friend of his. He said that he felt he wasn’t treated well here and he wasn’t wanted..thoughts?

Jacks agent rated him much higher than PB did. Jacks agent then made it worse by making crass statements like the one you mentioned.....A lot of fans backed the agent, not for football reasons, its because they don't like PB

Jacks attitude in training and performances on the pitch proved PB to be 100% correct.

I am not aware of any issues with the training pitches, though I well remember the state of the dreadful pitch at RH in PB's last season, which - as @AndyT says - didn't help us at all that final season under Brown.

True but at the same time we only lost 4 home league games all Season, with 3 of those in a row in the lead up to Xmas. This was surprising given the state of the Pitch.

Back