• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United chairman Ron Martin keeps faith in manager Mark Molesley

Its far too late to change managers, we are dead and buried so can understand what Ron is saying. The fact is sacking MM earlier in the season will be one of the great 'what ifs' in SUFC history. We will never know if there was someone out there who could have the effect Rob Kelly is at Barrow or Jimmy Floyd at Burton. Im not sure anyone could have got any better players in. Lets fact it we have the worst strikeforce seen at this club since the days of Trevor Fitzpatrick.

Its far too late to change managers, we are dead and buried so can understand what Ron is saying. The fact is sacking MM earlier in the season will be one of the great 'what ifs' in SUFC history. We will never know if there was someone out there who could have the effect Rob Kelly is at Barrow or Jimmy Floyd at Burton. Im not sure anyone could have got any better players in. Lets fact it we have the worst strikeforce seen at this club since the days of Trevor Fitzpatrick.
I’d take Fitzpatrick right now. At least he scored occasionally.

Perhaps read that poll again. It was what do you 'think' will happen not what do you 'want' to happen.

Ok fair enough, however can't help feeling most would have voted with what they want. I think we are playing better than we have done for some time, just sad that we don't have that player up front we need and lady luck has turned her back on us completely. Some strange decisions at times but then we have often played players out of position over the years and it can work wonders, sometimes!

Ok fair enough, however can't help feeling most would have voted with what they want. I think we are playing better than we have done for some time, just sad that we don't have that player up front we need and lady luck has turned her back on us completely. Some strange decisions at times but then we have often played players out of position over the years and it can work wonders, sometimes!

Fair enough and agree re luck but as the old saying goes 'the harder I work the luckier I get'.

I can't speak for others but I voted on what I thought would happen, I believe that his appointment was a monumental balls up again by RM.

We are not a Club that can or should accommodate a Management Team so large.

A close family friend has met MM and said what a really nice fella he is and I am sure he is, but he and his Management Team have been found to be out of their depth.

I know that he started with both arms tied behind his back, but recent performances suggest that he is not the man for such a job at the moment - right man wrong time.

Anyway, seems like he will go down with his ship along with Captain Ron.

Fair enough and agree re luck but as the old saying goes 'the harder I work the luckier I get'.

I can't speak for others but I voted on what I thought would happen, I believe that his appointment was a monumental balls up again by RM.

We are not a Club that can or should accommodate a Management Team so large.

A close family friend has met MM and said what a really nice fella he is and I am sure he is, but he and his Management Team have been found to be out of their depth.

I know that he started with both arms tied behind his back, but recent performances suggest that he is not the man for such a job at the moment - right man wrong time.

Anyway, seems like he will go down with his ship along with Captain Ron.

There is a myth that MM's team is much bigger than any team we've ever had. Its not true. He had to bring in so many because we had lost those people in years before.

He's brought in:

Himself (First Team Manager)

Tom Prodomo (Assistant)

Joe Prodomo (GK coach as Lee Harrison was leaving *I don't know whether it was MM's decision but know LH wasn't happy with Ron for a while*)

Anton Robinson (Head of Recruitment as Roger Cross left)

Jamie Wells (First Team Coach)

Sam Hall (Analyst, previously filled by Ben Cirne but not filled since I believe)

All have these have been filled previously, its just been a failure to fill them after those had left is the issue, rather like the CEO.

There is a myth that MM's team is much bigger than any team we've ever had. Its not true. He had to bring in so many because we had lost those people in years before.

He's brought in:

Tom Prodomo (Assistant)

Joe Prodomo (GK coach as Lee Harrison was leaving *I don't know whether it was MM's decision but know LH wasn't happy with Ron for a while*)

Sam Hall (Analyst, previously filled by Ben Cirne but not filled since I believe)

All have these have been filled previously, its just been a failure to fill them after those had left is the issue, rather like the CEO.
Youve got to seriously question the head of recruitment role....

I confess I voted that reading the question what do you want Ron to do rather than what I thought he might do. I don't think I'd have the courage to vote about what Ron might do. I'm not clairvoyant. I'm pleased he's stuck with MM. I'm not going to repeat my off stated reasons.

And more than 3 weeks pre-season.
He's had plenty of time since. He will succeed or run out of excuses and we all hope for the former. He seems to be a diligent, caring and hard worker and we all want people like that to succeed. Unfortunately on any measure it's not going well. The players he inherited either didn't improve or went backwards (or elsewhere). There was a short term bounce following the end of the embargo and now those players that came in seem to be going backwards under their new coaching regime as well. There is hope and enough games to get out of this but not really any evidence it's going to happen.

He's brought in:

Tom Prodomo (Assistant)

and the result is ..... ?????????????????????

why? Far too many senior pros around for my liking, but you have to remember that we have been trying to recruit half way through a season when most decent players will already be under contract somewhere else.

and most of the recruitment has been players that are far better than what we had before. I don’t think it’s a problem with recruitment. I think it’s how those players are utilized.

Thanks, but I said that:

"We are not a Club that can or should accommodate a Management Team so large."

I did not compare to previous seasons when of course we were in Leagues higher than we currently are.

As a club in freefall, allegedly not paying players, not paying non playing staff, not paying HMRC then I would restate "We are not a Club that can or should accommodate a Management Team so large."

Thanks, but I said that:

I did not compare to previous seasons when of course we were in Leagues higher than we currently are.

As a club in freefall, allegedly not paying players, not paying non playing staff, not paying HMRC then I would restate "We are not a Club that can or should accommodate a Management Team so large."

I would argue the reason we have been in freefall is the lack of stability and the cost-cutting at the expense of quality work behind the scenes, compared to over-paying on the pitch.

Beleive he was brought in slightly after some others no?

Wouldn't say there have been disasters in recruitment, Sterling is the only one who fits that bill. Failure to bring in a striker is the main issue, but who knows how many the HofR suggested...

Because his business acumen has certainly served us well so far..

Sacking managers has hardly served us well either.

Why?

We can safely assume that McCormack, Hart and maybe Holmes and Ranger were Ron signings, that Green, Hobson, Kyle Taylor and Cordner were Molesley signings.

The likes of Ferguson and Nathaniel-George were solid signings, Olayinka has been our best loan signing since Assambalonga. It's too early to tell with Mellis.

Montgomery seemed a decent enough keeper, signed with little notice and not from an obvious source. Some credit is due there.

A striker was needed and a decent one in Akinde was identified. Ron (or MM?) couldn't get the deal over the line.

Thanks, but I said that:

It's not a large management team. It's a similar size to every other club in this division.

It's a similar size to the set up of the teams we'll be playing next season. Take someone like 12th placed Boreham Wood - they have a first team goalkeeping coach, a first team analyst, an assistant manager, a first team coach etc.

It's a similar size than he had at Weymouth in the Conference South. If anything he may have had an extra coach at Weymouth.

Back