• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United chairman Ron Martin on his plans for a new stadium

Things do seem to be very vague on that fourth side. You'd think if the deal with Hilton was still intact we would be making more of it.

Still, it's nice to see a positive statement from the chairman at this difficult time for everyone. I'm even starting to warm to his slightly odd writing style.

I believe that Ron expects the final plans to go before the Council in September, and has an eye on March/April 2021 for building work to begin

Therefore phase one should be completed around summer 2022, meaning we’d move in for the beginning of the 22/23 season

SO... In theory, and as long as everything actually went to plan and Covid doesn’t affect the seasons too much moving forward, (big possibility), then we’d have 2 more full seasons at Roots Hall.

However, it is also worth pointing out, that whether this move happens or not, we won’t be playing football at Roots Hall for much longer anyway. You can be sure of that.

As always, I’ll believe it when I see it, but one good aspect of all this is that, with the wheels starting to creak into motion, I believe it will be much easier to obtain investment for the general running of the club.

I believe that Ron expects the final plans to go before the Council in September, and has an eye on March/April 2021 for building work to begin

Therefore phase one should be completed around summer 2022, meaning we’d move in for the beginning of the 22/23 season

SO... In theory, and as long as everything actually went to plan and Covid doesn’t affect the seasons too much moving forward, (big possibility), then we’d have 2 more full seasons at Roots Hall.

However, it is also worth pointing out, that whether this move happens or not, we won’t be playing football at Roots Hall for much longer anyway. You can be sure of that.

As always, I’ll believe it when I see it, but one good aspect of all this is that, with the wheels starting to creak into motion, I believe it will be much easier to obtain investment for the general running of the club.

It's interesting that you mention roots hall expiration date. This has been my concern all along. IF we don't move then roots hall is doomed in the coming seasons. Its quite literally falling apart. It's been on its last legs for sometime.

I do genuinely believe that this time it will all come good. Too many positives from the council and genuine business partners involved for it not to be taken seriously.

My main concern is the lack of non match day income , but hopefully this will be addressed In the coming months.

I also have concerns that the main stand and what makes the ground look special, may fall by the wayside.

IF all goes to plan and we end up with a four sided stadium and top class training facilities, then as a blues fan you'd have to be happy. Stick in some additional revenues to support the club and it becomes a very bright future.

I will believe it when I see it, but see It I believe we shall.

I know its the future, but im really gonna miss roots hall, cant imagine it not always being there. So many memories, highs and lows, and time spent with my dad and brother. Hope theres some kind of sell of, would love to own a tiny part of it.

I know its the future, but im really gonna miss roots hall, cant imagine it not always being there. So many memories, highs and lows, and time spent with my dad and brother. Hope theres some kind of sell of, would love to own a tiny part of it.
Buy a house there when completed and you will own a tiny part of it .

I’m still sceptical, when I see Ron and the manager at the time in a hard hat and diggers on the site is when I’ll start getting excited. We’ve been here before!

Reactions: ESG
Will the club not receive any of the rental income going forward? Even a small % would help?

i would imagine otherwise until the 4th side is built non match day income would be virtually zero.

I truly hope this all goes through this time .And with the council getting some land for housing I cant see it not going through .Roll on fossets farm .Hope im still around to see it .

It's interesting that you mention roots hall expiration date. This has been my concern all along. IF we don't move then roots hall is doomed in the coming seasons. Its quite literally falling apart. It's been on its last legs for sometime.

I do genuinely believe that this time it will all come good. Too many positives from the council and genuine business partners involved for it not to be taken seriously.

My main concern is the lack of non match day income , but hopefully this will be addressed In the coming months.

I also have concerns that the main stand and what makes the ground look special, may fall by the wayside.

IF all goes to plan and we end up with a four sided stadium and top class training facilities, then as a blues fan you'd have to be happy. Stick in some additional revenues to support the club and it becomes a very bright future.

I will believe it when I see it, but see It I believe we shall.

You’re spot on Tom. Roots Hall is literally falling apart, and Ron isn’t going to keep paying for the maintenance work to be done on it.

Paying 6-figure sums just to renew the safety certificate isn’t financially viable, or wise IMO.

Worst case scenario, If we do experience any hiccups with this move (the slated date is August 2022, so plenty of time for something to go wrong, especially considering the current climate) then I could see us ground sharing for a short period.

The clock is sadly ticking for Roots Hall - one way or another.

Sorry @Tommy2holes, forgot to add, I’m in total agreement with you regarding the non-matchday funds.

The sole reason for this move, was to make the club self sustainable. I’m sceptical over that aspect, because as far as I can see, the proprietors will be Ron, The Council & the building firm.

My fear is that there is a very real possibility that we could end up in the same situation we’re in currently, where we rely on our owner (whoever that may be at the time) to put money into the club to keep it afloat.

was reading echo article and thought something sounds familiar council plans blah! blah! blah! planning application considered in the autumn blah! blah! blah! { don`t know which autumn } so i think i will do as others have said just wait until i see a few jcb`s running round fossetts farm

Sorry @Tommy2holes, forgot to add, I’m in total agreement with you regarding the non-matchday funds.

The sole reason for this move, was to make the club self sustainable. I’m sceptical over that aspect, because as far as I can see, the proprietors will be Ron, The Council & the building firm.

My fear is that there is a very real possibility that we could end up in the same situation we’re in currently, where we rely on our owner (whoever that may be at the time) to put money into the club to keep it afloat.

with regards to non-matchday funds I'm not sure much has changed, the retail units would still have been paying rent to the same group of companies as the housing will now. If anything the housing will have more likelyhood of being occupied than the retail units

maybe the club and council can get together on an agreement that an entertainments licence can be granted .So the in the summer months the stadium can be used to hold shows to bring in revenue when football is done and dusted for the season .Col u do it at there stadium so why cant Southend do the same .

maybe the club and council can get together on an agreement that an entertainments licence can be granted .So the in the summer months the stadium can be used to hold shows to bring in revenue when football is done and dusted for the season .Col u do it at there stadium so why cant Southend do the same .

The trouble is, it will now be in a residential area so the neighbours will probably object about the noise nuisance!

Reactions: GBJ
Back