• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United chairman Ron Martin on his plans for a new stadium

The neighbours will have moved in knowing full well they are next to the stadium and its intended purpose. So doubt there will be any restrictions other than what would be normal for such a venue.

Oh mate, we get people moaning about the sound of trains & essential work on the track despite their house being there 10 years and the railway 150.

Is the hotel a definite goer then? Find it hard to imagine a hilton in the middle of a mid to low tier housing estate.

Shouldn’t matter. If the hotel provides some of the best hospitality and conference facilities in the town, it’ll get business. If the stadium holds other non-football events, it’ll do business. And that’s not to mention that it’ll be a 10-minute shuttle bus ride away from the airport.

Shouldn’t matter. If the hotel provides some of the best hospitality and conference facilities in the town, it’ll get business. If the stadium holds other non-football events, it’ll do business. And that’s not to mention that it’ll be a 10-minute shuttle bus ride away from the airport.

mate I live near Scunthorpe and there are two Hilton owned hotels nearby, they aren't that picky

There are different brands. This is apparently Hampton by Hilton. Upper mid budget hotels - a number at airport locations so would make sense given proximity to Southend Airport. Signed up subject to planning being approved.

This is the one at Stansted which is pretty new so guess the planned one would be not so different. Interesting some I think are Hilton owned, a number of owned by franchisees..

There are plans for a second Holiday Inn at the airport which could well be built before the FF development, also it is likely that the number of air passengers will be lower for a few years. Hopefully Hilton would have done their homework on this. Like everything connected with this project we will believe it when we see it.

No inside knowledge ,just saying to all the doubters to have faith

Faith is in short supply. This is the man that has promised so much and delivered so little in the past. Fwiw I believe this time the stadium will be delivered, not because of Ron but because of the companies involved and the councils need for housing.

I still don't have faith that we will see the stadium in its entirity with Ron at the helm, but hope to be proved wrong. A 3 sided stadium would not help the club move forward IMHO.

Faith is in short supply. This is the man that has promised so much and delivered so little in the past. Fwiw I believe this time the stadium will be delivered, not because of Ron but because of the companies involved and the councils need for housing.

I still don't have faith that we will see the stadium in its entirity with Ron at the helm, but hope to be proved wrong. A 3 sided stadium would not help the club move forward IMHO.

So what you’re saying I think is that the development consortium Ron has assembled and the plans they have put together working hand in glove with the council for years, which stands on the verge of possibly actually happening are all in place despite Ron, rather than because of him? Do I detect the merest hint of unconscious bias in your assessment? ?

So what you’re saying I think is that the development consortium Ron has assembled and the plans they have put together working hand in glove with the council for years, which stands on the verge of possibly actually happening are all in place despite Ron, rather than because of him? Do I detect the merest hint of unconscious bias in your assessment? ?

More a case of its taken many years and had the council not had a huge need for housing, then in all likleybood it would not be getting the green light. Its also worth noting that British lands representative is Rons son.

It's more a case of wait long enough and things will eventually fall into place. Previous to this Ron has failed miserably on several occasions.

Back