• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United chairman Ron Martin: Relegation would be a ‘monumental failure’

No s**t Sherlock!

What a bellend!

Last edited:
The main reason we are in the position we are now is the horrendous start to the season which was prepared like a bottom division pub side. For that Ron is to blame as far as i'm concerned, the current team is bad but probably not bottom two bad but with this start we had we were always gonna have an uphill struggle and pressure to stay up.

The main reason we are in the position we are now is the horrendous start to the season which was prepared like a bottom division pub side. For that Ron is to blame as far as i'm concerned, the current team is bad but probably not bottom two bad but with this start we had we were always gonna have an uphill struggle and pressure to stay up.

And he takes no blame whatsoever for putting the manager in that position. It seems to him it never happened.

Does anyone still think we are going to stay up? Like seriously? Really really seriously?

I do completely agree, and I don't think we're going to stay up. But occasionaly I have this misguided notion that actually, it is very much in our hands still. I know how unlikely it is, but 5 wins and maybe a couple of draws from our last 9 games would be enough.

Obviously I have no idea where 5 wins would come from when we can't hit a barn door, and I don't think we will manage it, but as others have said I hope the players and management still believe because it is still doable. Who knows, maybe a flukey win might trigger something. Probably another run of 0-0's.

SOUTHEND United chairman Ron Martin feels it would be a ‘monumental failure’ if the Shrimpers drop out of the Football League.

Read more on this story

Help with Echo links

No sh!t Shylock

“If we fail to stay up it will be a disaster but it won’t stop me investing to get back up as quickly as we can,” said Martin.

How about investing in January to stop us going down?
Oh no that’s right, because any respectable footballer worth his salt wouldn’t touch the club with a 6 foot poo covered stick

“I thought we would be a mid-table team and our results more recently suggest that too”

I think Its slipped his mind that a third of the season was written off due to embargo from an unpaid tax bill & being forced to field the youth team. If he had paid up earlier & we had achieved another 4/5 wins out of those first 17 games then we’d be a mid table team!

Last edited:
" “If we fail to stay up it will be a disaster but it won’t stop me investing to get back up as quickly as we can,” said Martin.

How about investing in January to stop us going down? "

How about investing back in 2018? Oh dear, it gets worse.

Back