• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United chairman Ron Martin: Relegation would be a ‘monumental failure’

The only reason rm is concerned bout the club is because once he demolishes roots Hall and builds on it and creates this community football stadium southend United might as well be a Saturday team hiring out a leisure centre every Saturday because that's exactly what will happen!he don't care if we go down he just wants the money he put in back from selling the ground

yeah - I completely does my nut in but some people are not that bothered and have been staying positive about visiting new grounds and not losing every week -

check back over the comments if you don't believe me ..

This is total nonsense. Everyone is bothered. Very bothered. Some have tried to cheer themselves up by trying to find some tiny slivers of light at a very dark time.

There's a big difference between that, and not caring whether the club goes down.

Exactly what I said - no problem raising the money

Well not really - we have no idea how hard Ron needed to try to get the financing, or at what cost.

It also wasn't the club that raised the finance - which is what you originally said would be easy. I think it also happened after the council meeting which approved the principle of a housing/football stadium venture for Fossets - so again not as easy as popping into the local Barclays Bank and filling out a form.

Well not really - we have no idea how hard Ron needed to try to get the financing, or at what cost.

It also wasn't the club that raised the finance - which is what you originally said would be easy. I think it also happened after the council meeting which approved the principle of a housing/football stadium venture for Fossets - so again not as easy as popping into the local Barclays Bank and filling out a form.

Ok you are completely right then ...

where did i say they were his preferred targets,but i did say not ones that havent played for 3 years, Now you tell me he couldnt do better than he did.
I honestly don't think he could, we have one of the worst reputations in the league thanks to repeatedly not paying wages on time, add that to the fact a striker needs to be scoring goals to make his CV look good and I can't see why any striker that is good enough for League 2 would choose us over them. I'd say for a striker most National League clubs would be more appealing than us at the moment purely because they'd be getting more chances to score.

Even loanees were probably out of the question, clubs will happily give us defenders and defensive midfielders because they'll get lots of experience of defending for their lives with us but parent clubs will want their strikers to be getting chances to score, which we aren't going to give them. We probably wouldn't have even got to keep Olayinka if it wasn't for the fact he was injured so Arsenal knew no one else would have taken him.

For me, MM was the right man at the wrong time. There is no doubting he has got something about him. The promotions on his CV back that up. He often says the right things, he wants to play football the ‘right way’ and I believe given the right tools, he’d find success at this level. Unfortunately he was never going to be given the right tools here. I said as much in the summer, I was a firm believer that this job required an experienced manager who’ll make do with the limit resources at his disposal. There are managers out there that fit that description. MM however got the job and I was determined to back him but I’m afraid my patience has ran out. I have respect for MM in the sense that he left what was a very secure job at Weymouth to come here knowing the problems he’d be faced with but sadly it’s not worked out for him and I will find it very hard to forgive or forget him being in charge when this football club loses its football league status.

Back