• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United chairman Ron Martin would support wage cap, but not current plan being suggested

SOUTHEND United chairman Ron Martin is keen to see a salary cap brought into the lower Leagues.

More...
yes i understand his reasons and believe there solid.Yes i support a salary cap but one that is fair to league one teams vieing for promotion to championship.

I think the problems will be around the levels ( to bigger gap between divisions) and transition arrangements (the EFL in their bubble probably don’t understand many contracts are longer than one year and cancelling them in relegation may be a tad he of a problem?)

But overcome these and it’s clearly necessary

I think the problems will be around the levels ( to bigger gap between divisions) and transition arrangements (the EFL in their bubble probably don’t understand many contracts are longer than one year and cancelling them in relegation may be a tad he of a problem?)

But overcome these and it’s clearly necessary
I would think there would be clauses in written into the contracts regarding relegation,the players would either accept them of look for another club .

I would think there would be clauses in written into the contracts regarding relegation,the players would either accept them of look for another club .

Mostly they will do the latter. It will only work if clauses became in some way mandatory in a standard contract form.

I think there would need to be a transition year on relegation to allow clubs to work they way towards the lower cap.In fact this is exactly what he is talking about when he mentions bridges between the leagues.

Its interesting that Ron seems to want the ability for more spending for clubs that our ambitious!? The overspend then being subject to some sort of wealth tax? You would think that would disadvantage us- may be recapitalisation has involved more £££ than we thought...

A salary cap if badly implemented could be a disaster for a team like us.

It could put us at an immediate disadvantage as a relegated team with players still under contract. We could all of a sudden find ourselves with no space to add more players but an unbalanced squad (almost all of our midfield is out of contract, whereas our defenders are nearly all locked in).

There's also no way a salary cap should be rushed in with less than 3 years' notice so clubs can plan and structure contracts accordingly.

Then there's the issue of cost of living. We'd be at a competitive disadvantage if we can only offer the same salary as other clubs when our cost of living in the South East is that much higher. £1500 a week in Southend is not the same as £1500 a week in Mansfield, Bradford or Port Vale. We would also likely found ourselves losing out on players to Conference clubs not limited by a wage cap and even the level below that where players are part-time. The effect of this is likely to increase the gulf between L1 and L2 and make it incredibly hard for teams promoting from L2 to be competitive in L1. Introducing bridges will just make it more likely that the same teams yo-yo up and down each year.

It's important clubs live within their means but there are already rules in place about that. This is purely about driving down wages but the unintended consequences of that will reshape football and be felt for years to come.

The problem with salary caps is that people will always find ways round it, if for example its capped at £1500 a week whats to stop a club providing houses and cars for their players?

For me the FFP rules should be beefed up with the threshold lowered so that clubs cannot overspend ie wages must be less than 50% of the clubs turnover, I have no problem if rich owners want to invest money into the club through sponsorship etc as long as this money isn't a loan.

The problem with salary caps is that people will always find ways round it, if for example its capped at £1500 a week whats to stop a club providing houses and cars for their players?

£1500 a week isn't a great deal of money if you are going to have to find another career in your mid 30s.

£1500 a week isn't a great deal of money if you are going to have to find another career in your mid 30s.

It's a damned site more than members of the armed forces get who have to find a new career at around the same age

That little sweetener has existed for donkeys years.

I remember Gazza telling the story of how his move to Spurs from Newcastle, earned his family a new house, new car and a sunbed.

I believe it’s very much alive and kicking within our football club right now in fact. I was reliably informed that a certain employee & his family are being put up in accommodation, at the club’s expense.

FOOTBALL should "first look after itself", a Government minister has said, after calls were made for a state-backed plan to help English Football League clubs avoid insolvency in the coronavirus pandemic.

More...

How to read Echo links

Back