• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United continue talks with Arsenal as young gun James Olayinka faces uncertain future

Im sure him and Taylor would love to walk out onto Wembley Stadium at the end of the year and represent us in the playoff final .

I’ve got a bad feeling about this one. Surely it’s a 5 minute phone call if all three parties want this to happen. And given that he’s been one of, if not our most influential player, over the past few months it would be a no brainer from our side.

The player or club wanting to test him at a higher level wouldn’t be a surprise.

I don’t think he’s been quite an effective the last couple of games though, so personally I’d keep him settled in League Two for now ?

The Taylor deal was wrapped up nice and early. Seems weird that this one needs to wait.

Not so confident about this one. Parent club either worried about his injury or want him to play higher. Otherwise, you'd just get it done asap so everyone can focus on the football.

Apparently His deal doesn't end until he 27th. Obviously MM needs to know asap because that would change any January recruitment plans.

II could be that a bigger L1 club have contacted Arsenal.....After all why would`n't they?

If I had to choose between keeping Oliyanka or Taylor then I would go for Taylor at the moment.

I think we probably have players who can step into the Oliyanka role but would still love to see him stay for the rest of the season.
I’m less worried about him going now but fully understand if he goes to a club higher up the scale, someone top half of L1 for example. Think in a less physical league he’d shine personally. I’ll always love him for that late Scunny goal which me and my son were fortunate to witness back in Dec.

I think Olayinka is a fine player, but he stil has a lot to prove for me.
He needs to add more consistency to his game and crucially ensure he is more involved from minute 1 to minute 90. He has the habit of disappearing from large parts of games.
That being said, I would definitely be delighted if we could extend the loan until the end of the season. I suspect there is also some concern over his groin and whether he can continue playing without needing an operation.

I love the Echo headline. I can imagine Arteta giving his team talk at the Emirates last night only for his phone to ring: "sorry lads it's Mark Molesley from Southend on the line, I've got to take this, just go out and do your best"

I love the Echo headline. I can imagine Arteta giving his team talk at the Emirates last night only for his phone to ring: "sorry lads it's Mark Molesley from Southend on the line, I've got to take this, just go out and do your best"

Was he even at the game - or at a meeting in the Happy Eater car park on the A127?

Can't understand Arsenal wanting him to go to a League 1 club now, even if one offered. It's mid-way through the season. He's doing well here; he's near-enough guaranteed regular first team football (who's to say he would be guaranteed that at League 1 level?); he's in a team which is improving and being coached by a young, progressive coaching team which is likely genuinely improving him as a player; and being in a relegation battle, or being part of a team which pulls clear of one, is character-building and will help him to mature as a footballer and a person. He would be much better off sticking here, improving and becoming more consistent, and trying his hand at a higher level next season. There's no rush, he is absolutely light years away from Arsenal's first team and still will be in May. Playing the second half of the season a division higher won't change that.

Whilst I’m not suggesting anyone is slagging Olayinka off , because they’re not , I am a bit surprised at those who are ‘unconcerned’ about him going.
We are bottom of L2 ( Bottom of L2 - just thought I’d repeat it for those unsure ) and he has been one of the shining lights in what has been an awful season.
We have , IMO , nobody of that calibre at our club and he would be a big loss and make our struggle to save our league status much harder.
Oh sorry , I forgot , to some we are ‘nailed on’ play off certainties......

I agree with lots of the comments on here. He is a good player and has the ability to change a game with a flash of genius. That said, he needs to hold onto the ball a little bit better, perhaps learn how to position his body to win a foul if he’s in danger of losing it. He has best opportunity to develop this by playing matches against physical teams.

Whilst I’m not suggesting anyone is slagging Olayinka off , because they’re not , I am a bit surprised at those who are ‘unconcerned’ about him going.
We are bottom of L2 ( Bottom of L2 - just thought I’d repeat it for those unsure ) and he has been one of the shining lights in what has been an awful season.
We have , IMO , nobody of that calibre at our club and he would be a big loss and make our struggle to save our league status much harder.
Oh sorry , I forgot , to some we are ‘nailed on’ play off certainties......
I’m “less worried” definitely not “unconcerned”. Less worried now we’ve got Taylor secured, Dieng on form and Walsh, ANG, Reeco, Hart and Akinola in. You’re right he’s class and ideally we’d hang on to him. I get the argument that staying, provided we keep improving, is good for his character. But if someone like Portsmouth or Peterborough came calling..a promotion challenge would also appeal maybe.

Last edited:
Back