• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United could be back in June but games will be behind closed doors

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United could begin playing games behind closed doors at some point in June, after the EFL sent a letter to all clubs.

More...

They are actively now trying to force clubs out of business.

They want clubs to extend contracts they can’t afford in order to stage/ complete matches at still more cost, whilst getting no revenue...

Based on football being played in June..very unlikely so it’s really more can kicking, more dither, more delay. Meanwhile players are invited to take their holidays...

...and where exactly are players meant to take their holidays?
The Costa del Back Garden, I guess.
If those dumb arses get their way, it will be a season lasting from June until May 2021.
Ping! Went the hamstrings in those legs...

Presume players are in agreement to play under these terms,will they be tested to see they are virus free.Like wise are the referees and officials in agreement as well.
I also believe that when games take place medical team has to be in attendance.
Personally don't believe that EFL have thought this out for me to many if and buts it's far to early to make rash decisions

They might as well hold a coin toss event to finish this season. Not sure where all the good sense regarding the need for gentle re-introduction into professional football after a lengthy lay-off has gone. Apparently it'll be good enough to do a week or so's training after a break of up to 10 weeks.

The worst possible scenario for Southend would be to finish the season behind closed doors and having to extend contracts to players we don't want now. let alone in June

We would be relegated and have to offer a discount to this season card holder for next season. By finishing this season then next season could also be ruined and leave us in a bigger financial mess.

The downside applies to far more clubs than any plus points....Liverpool yes but for many others no. The big boys would still be in the oh so precious champions league so lets not let their own selfish greed destroy the likes of us.

Even Liverpool or Coventry would not gain any money but their official winning of a league title would be far too costly for the rest of us.

If the marathon was stopped after 21 miles no one would say lets come back next Sunday and restart from the 21 mile mark. Time for people to not look through the blinkers of football and like the rest of the country will will have to be positive for the future rather than squabbling over what could have been.

Last edited:
Presume players are in agreement to play under these terms,will they be tested to see they are virus free.Like wise are the referees and officials in agreement as well.
I also believe that when games take place medical team has to be in attendance.
Personally don't believe that EFL have thought this out for me to many if and buts it's far to early to make rash decisions

Testing clear today doesn’t mean you haven’t got it next week- and I suspect there might be the slightest public backlash seeing footballers regularly tested ahead of nurses, care workers, doctors, public service staff (buses, tube, trains) etc etc. Just so they can ignore social distancing rules (because they're special..) and chase a plastic sphere full of hot air around..

I'm not one who would claim to have any knowledge about when things in the UK will return to anything like normal, especially in the sense of playing football games, whether or not they be behind closed doors. Yet, there are indications which would lead one to believe that June would be an ultra-optimistic scenario.
China's lock down began on the 23rd of January and there is talk of their 'Super League' starting around the 18th of April, that's about a three month break. It also needs to be remembered that the Chinese government achieved this turn around with draconian measures and massive organisation which the UK would not be able to put in place, even if it wished to. The UK lockdown started exactly two months after China on the 23rd of March. Even with the best will in the world, three months takes us towards the end of June and I'd be amazed if it happened by then. Don't think professional football in the UK will be back anywhere before July and more than likely, August or September. I think that is a far more realistic basis on how to judge what she be done about the 2019/20 season.

The 'lockdown' - and it's hardly that in contrast to China - will ease restrictions bit by bit.
You can bet your last PPE item, football and other large-scale gatherings will be the final release.
I can't see how and why behind-doors games would do anything but complete the season in a sterile, false atmosphere - and not even close to the spirit of the game.
Football is meant to be a celebration - not a pointless chore.

Are we all being a little blinkered and our judgement clouded by the fact we are relegated? Would we not all feel differently if we were 5 points clear at the top of the league?

Saying that, however, although June may be optimistic, playing behind closed doors, with matches on ifollow (available to all), with reasonable ticket prices would be a sensible way to finish it.

With a following wind, the country will at least be semi out of lockdown by then, and I would hope that the antibody testing will be available by then.

I saw a piece on the news yesterday about a mega testing lab in Milton Keynes. Able to test upwards of 50,000 a day by robotics. They are also creating more of these labs in the coming weeks, so testing 1 or 2 million people a week will become the normal.

June is still 6 weeks away and a lot can change in that time.

Even if it’s not June, it could be July/August and then take 2 or 3 weeks off and start the next season. Maybe drop the cups (so that’s 2 less games for us) and take a short winter break.

There is plenty of time yet and all sorts permutations that could allow things to pan out. A 2 or 3 week shorter off season nextyear, and the year after. It could take a few years to catch up, but I think they will.

At least Essex can be county champions for a few extra months, trouble is I can’t get to gloat with my Somerset supporting cricket mates.

The only way to resolve this is to offer a vote to each club.

Option 1. Void season as is with no relegation or promotion.

Option 2. Void season as is with only automatic promotion and relegation being filled as is. Any teams that have played less games than those in the autos being awarded a point per game in hand. No play off games.

Option 3. Teams to agree to try and finish the season if feasible to do so.

Let the club's have there say and have time to consult their respective management, players and fans.

Then the ball is in the court of the teams. A simple majority rules. That way there is no way the club's can try and sue etc as they will have cast the deciding vote.

It absolves the FA, premier league and EFL of responsibility whilst empowering clubs.

Are we all being a little blinkered and our judgement clouded by the fact we are relegated? Would we not all feel differently if we were 5 points clear at the top of the league?

Saying that, however, although June may be optimistic, playing behind closed doors, with matches on ifollow (available to all), with reasonable ticket prices would be a sensible way to finish it.

With a following wind, the country will at least be semi out of lockdown by then, and I would hope that the antibody testing will be available by then.

I saw a piece on the news yesterday about a mega testing lab in Milton Keynes. Able to test upwards of 50,000 a day by robotics. They are also creating more of these labs in the coming weeks, so testing 1 or 2 million people a week will become the normal.

June is still 6 weeks away and a lot can change in that time.

Even if it’s not June, it could be July/August and then take 2 or 3 weeks off and start the next season. Maybe drop the cups (so that’s 2 less games for us) and take a short winter break.

There is plenty of time yet and all sorts permutations that could allow things to pan out. A 2 or 3 week shorter off season nextyear, and the year after. It could take a few years to catch up, but I think they will.

At least Essex can be county champions for a few extra months, trouble is I can’t get to gloat with my Somerset supporting cricket mates.

I think people are entitled to be highly optimistic if they wish and sincerely hope all of the above comes to pass. Who wouldn’t

Last edited:
See in the Times today the lawyers have shot done one of the EFL/UEFAs favourite fantasies pointing out that blanket extensions of contracts between players and clubs is not possible under contract law in England. If either the player or club or both don’t want to agree/negotiate an extension it simply can’t and won’t happen. Apparently football contracts specifically run to June 30 and not end of season and each contract is specific to the parties.

Back