• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United defender Josh Coulson keen to kick on after returning from injury

Ferdinand and Turner both joined us with their pace "gone". However, both used their knowledge or years in the game to read the flight of the ball and where the opposition would likely put the ball to defend well. They then used the younger, fitter centre-half alongside them to do the running and give them the knowledge to improve their game.

Last edited:
Ferdinand and Turner both joined us with their pace "gone". However, both used their knowledge or years in the game to read the flight of the ball and where the opposition would likely put the ball to defend well. We they couldn't they used the younger, fitter centre-half alongside them.
Sadly Coulson isn't a 10th of the player either Ferdy or Turner was. Before his injury he was caught out every time the ball was played his side

I fear the worst having seen what ive seen, but i genuinely hopes he proves everyone wrong and plays an important part this season

I fear the worst having seen what ive seen, but i genuinely hopes he proves everyone wrong and plays an important part this season
He absolutely will play his part, as the bouncy castle in the newly formed kids zone in match days- he has a 30 kid capacity

So sad how players are subject to ridicule and abuse. He has never had pace. Ever. He’s a decent L2/NL CB- newsflash we are a NL club and he’s is our equivalent of Turner or Ferdinand at our current level. If the three of them were in a foot race my guess is he would be last (but strangely not the best either)

So sad how players are subject to ridicule and abuse. He has never had pace. Ever. He’s a decent L2/NL CB- newsflash we are a NL club and he’s is our equivalent of Turner or Ferdinand at our current level. If the three of them were in a foot race my guess is he would be last (but strangely not the best either)
He may never have been quick, but pace is not binary. If he isn’t in good physical shape then that’s a problem. Turner and Ferdinand we’re always in good shape.

Lets be honest, so far he has been an abysmal signing, the poster child of PB's disastrous high wage recruitment policy, all compounded when Brown mentioned he was setting up the side to protect coulson, something that still beggars belief.

But im still more then happy for him to prove everyone wrong.

Good job Coulson kept his head at Bromley the other night. 1-0 down and under pressure, he couldn't pass back to the keeper. Luckily for us he looked more Anton than Hobson and played a great ball out wide whilst on the turn.....That lead to our equaliser.

Some use the Aldershot game as their main evidence against Coulson. Long before he got skinned doing a task he never should, covering at LB. He had done his job in the first half. Winning 3 headers in a row inside their box, whilst we were 1-0 up.

A good example is the first clip on the Highlights at Torquay. Heads it back across goal from a corner and no one bothers to get on the end of it.

A CB who can win a ball in the air is vital at any level but the lower you go down the leagues the more work they have. We haven't had that since Turner retired. Keirnan was a Coward, Lennon needed someone holding his hand. Hobson greatly improved after John White played alongside him but has gone backwards this season.

PB knew he needed another CB but looking at the loanees perhaps others thought better. Shame Coulson hasn't been available. I have no doubts we would have more points on the board. Sadly he is yet another victim from some of our so called fans.

Even when someone like Dalby has a great game leading the line at Bromley, I still read absoloute rubbish by some. The toughest defence jumped all over him in the first minute. yet he kept his head, his touch and was vital otherwise Dennis would have gone unnoticed.

Was a half decent player at this level a few years ago. He is a complete liability now.

Nowhere near good enough and turns like an ocean liner when faced with any kind of pace.

To me, a professional sportsman who is overweight tells something about their character and attitude.
Totally agree!
As have said, point me to someone in the Prem carrying the same excess baggage.

If as @rigsby suggests some of his finer points have gone unnoticed, how much better would he have been as a conditioned athlete?

Despite my fears he did ok when he came on against Bromley in a 5 at the back but will be a liability in a back 4.

Add lack of conditioning to his age and you can see why he is so slow - very unprofessional.

Back