• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United defender Josh Coulson keen to kick on after returning from injury

Totally agree!
As have said, point me to someone in the Prem carrying the same excess baggage.

If as @rigsby suggests some of his finer points have gone unnoticed, how much better would he have been as a conditioned athlete?

Not making excuses for him for adding timber but a proper physio and someone monitoring him may have helped.

Either way he is still a big threat going up for corners. Our first corner after he came on he was left almost unmarked. Shame our lads never noticed and deliver a decent ball. Bromley realised their mistake and switched the number 6 from Hobson to Coulson next corner.

Not making excuses for him for adding timber but a proper physio and someone monitoring him may have helped.

Either way he is still a big threat going up for corners. Our first corner after he came on he was left almost unmarked. Shame our lads never noticed and deliver a decent ball. Bromley realised their mistake and switched the number 6 from Hobson to Coulson next corner.
He’s a beast of a bloke and can head the ball and get it out of danger. Not sure he warrants so much criticism but that’s my own opinion..

So sad how players are subject to ridicule and abuse. He has never had pace. Ever. He’s a decent L2/NL CB- newsflash we are a NL club and he’s is our equivalent of Turner or Ferdinand at our current level. If the three of them were in a foot race my guess is he would be last (but strangely not the best either)
Agreed, with a younger quicker partner alongside him like Lopata, they could be be a good pairing for our level.

He’s a beast of a bloke and can head the ball and get it out of danger. Not sure he warrants so much criticism but that’s my own opinion..
FWIW, my criticism is solely based on his lack of fitness.
His physical prowess and skill with a ball at his feet (or head) earns him a living.
If he were a plumber, he might as well turn up without his tool bag!

Agree with all you say, but 'someone monitoring may have helped'?
There's no 'may' about it.
Both he and the coaching staff have been slack.
There are clubs where players are fined for putting on excess kilos, and rightly so: it's a dereliction of professional duty.

Agree with all you say, but 'someone monitoring may have helped'?
There's no 'may' about it.
Both he and the coaching staff have been slack.
There are clubs where players are fined for putting on excess kilos, and rightly so: it's a dereliction of professional duty.

Even if Coulson lost two stone he wouldn't be quick, thats why you need a Kasper or the new lad from Concord behind him. None of us ever sat watching the Beast thinking he would be more of a handful if he lost 2 stone.

Thompson greatly improved once he new he could fully commit to a header or challenge with Anton behind him. Lennon never had that confidence because Kiernan would hide.

Sorry to remind you but its NL not PL. Here is my NL shopping list in priority

Number 9 who has a presence and can hold a ball (Murphy and Dalby do that between them)

Keeper who is not bullied as there are so many ugly balls and long throws (Arny ticks that box)

A CB who love to win balls in the air including in their box (Coulson for this level) and one CB who loves a good tackle, tight marking and shirt pull (no one so far)

A guvnor with a big cigar at CM (no one in 5 years)
Someone who can play a bit at CM (Brunt)

Someone who can take decent set pieces (no one in the last 10 years).

Tick those boxes and its easy :Winking:

Even if Coulson lost two stone he wouldn't be quick, thats why you need a Kasper or the new lad from Concord behind him. None of us ever sat watching the Beast thinking he would be more of a handful if he lost 2 stone.

Thompson greatly improved once he new he could fully commit to a header or challenge with Anton behind him. Lennon never had that confidence because Kiernan would hide.

Number 9 who has a presence and can hold a ball (Murphy and Dalby do that between them)

Keeper who is not bullied as there are so many ugly balls and long throws (Arny ticks that box)

A CB who love to win balls in the air including in their box (Coulson for this level) and one CB who loves a good tackle, tight marking and shirt pull (no one so far)

The thing is with Coulson, he’s never been blessed with pace but he can defend. I’d imagine opposition attackers don’t like playing against him. He’s as tough as old boots. Pace can be injected elsewhere, some might say it’s picking a team to accommodate Coulson, I disagree. Coulson can do what Hobson and White blatantly cannot. A decent pair of wingbacks, Lopata alongside him and we’re fine. You mention Lennon and Kiernan, give me a Coulson any day.

I went to the Bromley game and winced when he came on, especially when I saw his derby and had flash backs of him running back into the fullback position against, I think Aldershot.

However, I watched back the performance on BT and was really encouraged by his performance. At one part he read the game really well and intercepted a long ball up to the striker. He read the game and didn't need his pace (lack of). He got there, and cleared it. That's all you ask. A pacey CB with him and who knows what could happen.

I do feel there are a few players in the squad that have had their careers tarnished here because they've had to play with an awful squad. That's been the case for the last 3 years. When you think how awful the whole defense was at the start of the season and the job he was being asked to do, it's no wonder he was terrible.

He had no preseason and then had to play with, Howard, Sayers, Bridge at leftwing back etc. The whole defense was all over the place. No shape or consistency. It was said many times, the defense was awful because the midfield was terrible too.

We now have seasoned pros at fullback and are playing with a better, settled side.

If we had to, a back 5 of:

Demi, Kensdale, Coulson, Lopata, Ralph
is so much better than what we had before.

Even if we had to play a 4 of Demi, Lopata, Coulson and Ralph, it's not the worst.

The likelihood is that he'll be a squad player, and that's fine. I do feel this management team will have him playing better than Brown did.

I'll buy into the shopping list, save the forwards: we need someone else as well as Dalby and Murphy.
But you know a fitter player is a better player.
I agree Coulson is never going to be quick, but he is going to be quicker when he sheds weight.
You won't find a physio disagreeing with the notion a fitter player doesn't get injured as much - all things equal.
The one area the NL and the PL can be equal, is fitness.
Speed and skill? That's why Sterling gets paid £200k a week, but conditioning?
EVERY player can work towards the standards set in the top tier.

Also worth asking what Cambridge and Orient fans think of his attitude. Hasn't had the best of starts but it should be a clean slate for everyone now under the new management team.

Also worth asking what Cambridge and Orient fans think of his attitude. Hasn't had the best of starts but it should be a clean slate for everyone now under the new management team.
From memory, the Orient fan who frequents this forum gave us the heads up. Great defensive skills, lack of pace. He’s been there and worn the T-shirt so to me, that’s a plus.

I'll buy into the shopping list, save the forwards: we need someone else as well as Dalby and Murphy.
But you know a fitter player is a better player.
I agree Coulson is never going to be quick, but he is going to be quicker when he sheds weight.
You won't find a physio disagreeing with the notion a fitter player doesn't get injured as much - all things equal.
The one area the NL and the PL can be equal, is fitness.
Speed and skill? That's why Sterling gets paid £200k a week, but conditioning?
EVERY player can work towards the standards set in the top tier.

I did say that SM and SD do combine to do the one job but they also have other ticks. Dennis down the middle looks better than out wide.

Then again anyone out wide for us would struggle because the players in the middle can seem to see or execute the pass.

You don't have to convince me about fitness I have been there and done it. My point is when it comes to Coulson its not his pace that will save us its his head. Of course that depends on someone not jumping on his ankle and his own fitness.

My own view is its all to do with your own mental attitude.
I personally never needed a trainer to get fit. Some (Nile Ranger) don't want to with all the encouragement or expensive gym membership in the world

Back