• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

See the SUFC Website, we will be away to either Swansea u/21's, MK Dons, Luton or Peterborough. i.e winners of either Group E,F,G or H.

We could still get a home tie because if West Ham U23 win their group (and they still have a game to play), they have special dispensation to play their home game away, hence SUFC v WHU U23 is possible. Probably something to do with the Taxpayers Stadium being used for something like Athletics.

We could still get a home tie because if West Ham U23 win their group (and they still have a game to play), they have special dispensation to play their home game away, hence SUFC v WHU U23 is possible. Probably something to do with the Taxpayers Stadium being used for something like Athletics.

We can't play West Ham they are not in our side of the draw.
We could play them in future rounds should either team get through.

Expect this has been answered elsewhere but do all the Under 21s team play away and can they meet each other in the knock out stage, if so presume the games would be played at training grounds?

After the group stages they can be drawn at home or away and can be drawn against each other. That said, in the 2nd Round they can only play at home if they've won their group, like Swansea U21's have.

Last season they generally played the games at their main home ground.

I know Swansea would be a trek, but it would give us the best chance of progressing I think. Yes they won their group, but it was probably one of the easiest groups ever, with Forest Green, Cheltenham and Newport (Yes I know!)

We can't play West Ham they are not in our side of the draw.
We could play them in future rounds should either team get through.

I don't understand what you are saying. They are in the Southern Section and if they win their group, we could be drawn away to them but of course they have to play it away, so it becomes a home tie for us. Not sure exactly what our side of the draw means. We can be drawn away against any Group Winners of the Southern Section except Gillingham who were in our original group. The Southern Section draw is not regionalised any further and nor is the Northern Section.

I don't understand what you are saying. They are in the Southern Section and if they win their group, we could be drawn away to them but of course they have to play it away, so it becomes a home tie for us. Not sure exactly what our side of the draw means. We can be drawn away against any Group Winners of the Southern Section except Gillingham who were in our original group. The Southern Section draw is not regionalised any further and nor is the Northern Section.

We play winners of Group E,F,G or H as per my post #22 and as explained on the Southend united website.

Also, the Under 21 sides are playing all their group matches away this season, as the crowds were so poor for the home matches, that they couldn't afford to put them on.

Some matches, they had less than 300 people attending.

Does this mean that, should we get Swansea, we will actually be at home?

No, as it was only the group matches where they played all their games away.

Unless they choose to ask the EFL to switch the game, I guess.

No, as it was only the group matches where they played all their games away.

Unless they choose to ask the EFL to switch the game, I guess.

Andy, it appears it may be necessary to explain it all in 6 foot tall block capital letters.

In an ideal world, I think we would take an Under 21 side.

Just a minor change 'matti'. We have to be the away team, as group winners get home advantage.

In an ideal world, our first team should never have to play anyone’s under 21 side. It’s an abomination.

Possibly, but thems the rules and we have 4 sides we can play and Swansea U21's would be my choice to give us the best chance of progressing.

Possibly, but thems the rules and we have 4 sides we can play and Swansea U21's would be my choice to give us the best chance of progressing.

Did you notice that our former loanee Adam King was one of the goal scorers for them on Tuesday. Bound to score against us if we draw them!

I didn't 'Dan'.

He's almost become a forgotten player. Obviously Swansea chose not to push him out on loan this year.

It does seem a lot of our loan players over recent years haven't really pushed on. Just seem to be grazing back in Under 23 sides or playing in the National League.

That's one of the reasons why I don't see the likelihood of Under 21 sides ever competing at League 1 or League 2 level. They simply aren't good enough.

Let's face it, most of them are struggling against predominantly reserve sides, at this level.

I didn't 'Dan'.

He's almost become a forgotten player. Obviously Swansea chose not to push him out on loan this year.

It does seem a lot of our loan players over recent years haven't really pushed on. Just seem to be grazing back in Under 23 sides or playing in the National League.

That's one of the reasons why I don't see the likelihood of Under 21 sides ever competing at League 1 or League 2 level. They simply aren't good enough.

Let's face it, most of them are struggling against predominantly reserve sides, at this level.

I certainly agree. The only under 23 side that I think can compete, is the Southampton side. They really do have a fantastic youth system that generates talent upon talent. Would they beat our full strength side, probably not.

Going back to Adam King, he represents an example of what the majority of Prem youth players really are. They look great with no pressure on them, playing tick-a-tac football. However, they go and play for teams that are playing for a genuine 3 points and it's a different kettle of fish. Not many of those players are cut out for it.

That goes for coaches too. Look at Unsworth at Everton, winning the youth league doesn't mean your cut out for the premiership. Your job is to bring through individual talent, for either sale or in rare cases, the first team. The points are irrelevant. The manger of the first team may want you to replicate his style on the youth team so if called upon, any player can fit in to the first team with no confussion. But again, if that means points are sacrificed so the style can be embeded, than so be it.The pressure is so different for coaches and players when compared to 'real' football.

Spot on 'Dan'.

There's a structure at most clubs that is there these days for a reason.

Years ago, teams would have a reserve side, so youngsters got toughened up at a younger age and merged in with the experienced players on a weekly basis.

Until that returns, you'll have Under 23 sides out of their depth in the full first team games.

Back