• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

mattitouk

Life President
Rather than continuing all the future opinions on the Col Ewe post match thread, I thought it's about right that I start a thread about the Paint Pot Tophy, or the Chekatrade Trophy or the EFL Trophy. (pick your own guys).

So the draw starts tomorrow night (around 6:30pm) before the England V Germany game, I'm told our opponents our:

Swansea City (U21's)
Luton Town
Mk Dons
Peterborough United

Looking at the current tables, and others teams success (and goal ratio in the group round), we look like the underdogs, against all of them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/football-league-trophy/table

My question is,....Who would you hope to want to face in the next fixture?, I personally wouldn't want another Division One team,.... and those Swansea lads look a bit sneeky in my eyes.

For me it's Luton Town at home.

My thought process is this:

They have only won 1 game and drawn two, and have only scored one more than they have let in.

Added to that, they will have a big fixture headache with an FA Cup match on the 2nd December and a match against current Division 2 table toppers Notts county on the 9th December. So i'm guessing we will fit in the middle when fixtures should start on the 4th December. (Most likely Tuesday 5th December).

Anyway,.... Just to get some debate going, What's your opinion? Who would you hope for in the next round?

Last edited:
In an ideal world, I think we would take an Under 21 side.

Just a minor change 'matti'. We have to be the away team, as group winners get home advantage.

We came runners up in the group so I don't think it will be a home draw.

Edit - Andy T beat me to it

OK I will bite (a little), with 8 southern groups, assuming we shouldn't be playing the Gills again, that leaves 7 other winners, why will it be just from the 4 you mention above, im curious is all.

It's because the draw is split into two halves for each section. Assuming the EFL adopt the same format as last season for the 2nd Round draw.

Basically, the winners of A,B,C or D, will play the runners-up of E,F,G or H.

The same works in reverse.

After this round, the 8 winners just go into a random draw.

The above is to avoid any chance of 2 teams from the same group playing each other again in the 2nd Round.

Looks like it could be a humdinger of a draw then, as in Southern Area group D there are still 2 group games remaining, and all 4 sides in it can still potentially qualify. Plus the added confusion of not knowing who the group winners will be so determining who has a home tie. Pity Carabao aren't doing the draw.

I did think that, as well.

Could be a nightmare and add in that SKY are probably hosting it! :blush:

I did think that, as well.

Could be a nightmare and add in that SKY are probably hosting it! :blush:

Easy solution. They will have two balls saying "Southern Group D winners", and "Southern Group D runners-up". The alternative isn't worth contemplating!

It's because the draw is split into two halves for each section. Assuming the EFL adopt the same format as last season for the 2nd Round draw.

Basically, the winners of A,B,C or D, will play the runners-up of E,F,G or H.

The same works in reverse.

After this round, the 8 winners just go into a random draw.

The above is to avoid any chance of 2 teams from the same group playing each other again in the 2nd Round.

Unless they've changed it from last year, the round of 16 (and onwards) is not regionalised and is an unseeded draw.

Sad to see folk getting used to the under 21 teams, and not realising or not caring that they are being played in the long term. It's so true that human beings are easily manipulated.

Would want the hardest team, that way the players will be more up for the match imho

So for me Peterborough will do fine

Unless they've changed it from last year, the round of 16 (and onwards) is not regionalised and is an unseeded draw.

Apologies 'Mick' you are right again. :thumbsup:

I got used to the old Northern/Southern split under the JPT and earlier sponsors and had forgotten they ditched that last season.

Not sure that's a good idea, in truth, but I guess the EFL knows best.

Sad to see folk getting used to the under 21 teams, and not realising or not caring that they are being played in the long term. It's so true that human beings are easily manipulated.

In truth, though, the EFL Trophy is the biggest advert possible that Under 21 sides wouldn't work in the league structure, so it's actually good advertising for the 'against' brigade.

Apologies 'Mick' you are right again. :thumbsup:

I got used to the old Northern/Southern split under the JPT and earlier sponsors and had forgotten they ditched that last season.

Not sure that's a good idea, in truth, but I guess the EFL knows best.

Mick was right, but you weren't wrong either. This round coming up is the last 32 so the draw is as you said. It is the following round when anyone can get anyone.

In truth, though, the EFL Trophy is the biggest advert possible that Under 21 sides wouldn't work in the league structure, so it's actually good advertising for the 'against' brigade.

Yep what with Sunderlands away support of just 3 people at Grimsby last night, just shows that if Under 21/23 teams allowed in a league the support will not be there. As happens in Germany some of the Under 23 or B teams get very low crowds in what would be their Div 4.

Also, the Under 21 sides are playing all their group matches away this season, as the crowds were so poor for the home matches, that they couldn't afford to put them on.

Some matches, they had less than 300 people attending.

Too true, just how long do you think it will be until you realise that B teams in the league isn’t going to happen and how easily manipulated you were in thinking this would happen long after the debate had moved on:smile:

Back