• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United Hall of Fame

Xàbia Shrimper

Co-founder of ShrimperZone
SUFC founder Oliver Trigg has won the poll for the most influential person in the opening decade of the history of the club and quite rightly so; it would have been an absolute travesty if he hadn't won it and there really was no reason for the poll.

The nominations for the period 1916-1926 are Billy Goodwin, Billy Hick and Dickie Donoven. My vote has gone to Hick, who holds the record for scoring in consecutive matches (eight).

Opinions?

WS

Without knowing too much other than the articles on the site I would say that the 3 nominated for the first 10 years deserve to be in there more than the 3 for the next 10.

Agreed with TFS - the format is a bit skewed in my opinion... its unlikely that the 10 most influential people in the club's history happened to be conveniently spread at a rate of one per decade...

However these things are always difficult to decide arbitrarily so this format is as good as any.

I went for Dickie Donoven because he played a shedload of games - there didnt seem to be any blinding reason to pick any one of the three over any of the others - except that the first of the three is probably the weakest candidate...

The format was devised by the Centenary Committee made up of Trust Committee Members & SUFC Staff. It was difficult to chose three from each decade from the original lists that were made up, and we feel we have chosen 3 names for each decade that do deserve to be in the hall of fame in their own right.

The idea was that we wanted 10 names for the hall of fame, and felt it fairer to spread them across the 100 years and get one from each decade, rather than just go for a large vote for 10 people connected with SUFC, because the likelyhood would be that the majority would come from this era, ie Tilly, Powell, Collymore, Webb etc, and would not reflect the work put in by earlier Blues (sorry Shrimpers) Stalwarts.

I'm not unhappy - I completely understand the logic...

Opening it up completely would almost certainly result in nominations for Freddy Eastwood and other such short-sighted nominations.

Nonetheless, Sandy Anderson (1950 - 63) made the most league appearances (451), Roy Hollis scored the most goals (122 between 1953 + 1960) and Sid Broomfield built the stadium in 1955.

On this format one of those three has to miss out on the Hall of Fame - and yet all three are much more notable figures than any in the current poll and the omission of any of them would be a terrible oversight in my opinion...

You have a very, very valid point, Steve. I can't believe I missed it ...

WS

rock.gif

What about Alvin Williams - who promised to take us out of Div 3 and did so ................... into Div 4 !!!!.
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fiftyone @ Nov. 22 2005,09:46)]What about Alvin Williams - who promised to take us out of Div 3 and did so ................... into Div 4 !!!!.
sad.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (old leigh shrimper @ Nov. 22 2005,08:50)]I would assume Vic Jobson will be nominated..... being the first and only chairman to take us to the 2nd flight of english football!!!!   Could be controversial???
You are joking i hope!

Frank Walton and Frankie Banks i'd vote for for sure but Jobson was a berk who always seemed to end up rowing with managers just when we were making progress.

Sid Broomfield built the stadium in 1955.

Does anyone know if the blokes still alive ?? does he still go ?? I would love to meet him and shake the Mans hand
In my eyes hes a Legend... Ive read  it was him and a mate and took them years to complete....

only for Vic Jobson to knock down our impressive south stand and make a few bob... If we still had it today and was converted like the North n West Stands into seats I reckon Our Theatre of Dreams would hold 23,000 plus
( just look at the Kop end at Shelfield Wednesday )

Hey ..... there will be no talk of moving ...

One Team In Essex
SOUTHEND UNITED FC

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CSWICKFORDSHRIMPER @ Nov. 23 2005,13:40)]Sid Broomfield built the stadium in 1955.

Does anyone know if the blokes still alive ?? does he still go ?? I would love to meet him and shake the Mans hand
In my eyes hes a Legend... Ive read  it was him and a mate and took them years to complete....

only for Vic Jobson to knock down our impressive south stand and make a few bob... If we still had it today and was converted like the North n West Stands into seats I reckon Our Theatre of Dreams would hold 23,000 plus

Hey ..... there will be no talk of moving  ...

One Team In Essex
SOUTHEND UNITED FC
Yes Rich i agree.

How the hell Keith Dublin is not in anyones thoughts i dont know, the man is Mr Southend.

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sao Paulo Shrimper @ Nov. 23 2005,13:47)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (CSWICKFORDSHRIMPER @ Nov. 23 2005,13:40)]Sid Broomfield built the stadium in 1955.

Hey ..... there will be no talk of moving  ...

One Team In Essex
SOUTHEND UNITED FC
Yes Rich i agree.

How the hell Keith Dublin is not in anyones thoughts i dont know, the man is Mr Southend.

biggrin.gif
Ben

still see u have not lost ur sence of Humour.LOL

Hope alls well in Brazil... Sun Shine. Good Looking Birds... u Lucky ******* :-)

One Team In Essex....................

Back