• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United have now had more than 60 applicants to be manager and Ron Martin says next boss will be free to make signings

The alternate version of that is that he only got Tilly by blind luck. Only gave him the role because he needed a temporary manager. By and large his record with permanent appointments is abysmal. I wouldn't say Sturrock or Brown were abysmal; far from it. Bond was abysmal.

We have nearly gone out of business several times. Have failed to pay our own staff several times. Have failed to pay the tax man and still haven't god knows how many times. As have many football clubs and other businesses. We are not alone.

Failed to pay local business, causing hardship and people won't deal with him. They didn't deal with Vic Jobson either, but for different reasons. But again, whilst it's not right, it's how things happen.

Despite being a property developer, he has failed to build the project over in over 20 years. I wouldn't know about his other projects but there are only so many hours in a day and SUFC takes up around 18 of them. That's why Vic Jobson - also a property developer - barely developed anything when he was chairman because he was first one at the club in the morning and last one out at night.

Has let roots Hall essentially fall into rack and ruin. As did Vic - no point in spending millions propping up something that will be demolished at some point unless we can't get a safety certificate.

Constantly lies to the fans or tells warped version of the truth. Says who? The fans who have zero actual idea of the facts but assume everything or go on hearsay.

He has barely kept us aflaot and has provided very little in the last 10 years. Yet here we (still) are and he has provided absolute millions, mortgaging his own assets over and over for the clubs benefit. That is a really insulting statement and totally false.

Why is it a chairman in charge of a club with gates of 6-7k is constantly in financial trouble when other chairman have clubs on half those gates and manage comfortably. It's simple. Ron hasn't got a clue. No idea because we don't have access to the figures. But we probably pay too high wages as our fans have higher expectations than the clubs with small gates.

Come back to me at the end of the window

There has been plenty of occasions we have been under transfer embargo. The damage is already done. I don't believe anything that's said from Ron. Low earning staff not being paid when statements saying they have.......quite frankly disgusting how he has run the club and treated people. Horrible horrible man.

What I do worry about is an aging fan base, to a greater or lesser extent (read: how gritted the teeth are when buying tickets) those of us on here are committed to going, why would someone choose to start supporting us now though?

I wonder what league we would be in now if RM hadnt bought the club and it had stayed in the hands off the previous owner. I wonder if there would still be a Southend United football team .Under his ownership yes we have had some bad times but surely you can remember the good times ,Wembley ,and reaching even for one week top of the Championship, defeating Man U ,the Chelsea and Liverpool games and the spurs matches ,he has given us supporters some truly memorable times ,accept the bad times there was always going to be some ,we are Southend, just be positive about the future .

When Ron took over and paid off the £4.5m of debt we were 18th in L2. Since then 24 clubs that were above us have gone bust or slipped into the national league. Many haven't come back. Thats the problem when people come on here selecting a Bournemouth or a Brighton as examples of Ron failing......If you discount the 24 teams that have really failed you create a complete false stat.

There are various long term league tables out there and they do vary depending on how the points are counted and over what period. One I saw recently was over 100 years and done on averages as not all clubs have played League footy for that long. Overall we were 65th, or 21st in L1...One place above where we finished. Every season in L1 is punching above our weight but many of the biggest moaners now were also the ones who moan every single season.....7th in L1 wasn't good enough etc.

We support a lower league team. Which means just like traffic queues on nice summers day.....Our town is destined for trips to L2.....After about 5 relegations to the bottom tier you don't worry about it.

Many people on here have some real issues to deal with over the next 12 months, so let us enjoy our little window of escapism on a Saturday. So if supporting some honest young lads in L2 and watching them progress nicely without the need to win every week, Isn't for you....Then don't come to RH. Don't drag your bag of misery with you and let the rest of us get on with being a fan.....A real fan. someone who actually wants to their team do well rather than wallow in told you so statements.

And guess what if Ron survives, thats just the price you will have to pay. It really wont spoil your life.

I have had SUFC/Blues in my blood since my Dad took me to Roots Hall In 1958, Yes 62 years ago. I have been defending them ever since. Why can‘t I just live an easy life supporting a club with a stable reputation and a little bit more success? Ron tells me it will all be OK very soon. :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter: :Highfive::OMG:

When Ron took over and paid off the £4.5m of debt we were 18th in L2. Since then 24 clubs that were above us have gone bust or slipped into the national league. Many haven't come back. Thats the problem when people come on here selecting a Bournemouth or a Brighton as examples of Ron failing......If you discount the 24 teams that have really failed you create a complete false stat.

There are various long term league tables out there and they do vary depending on how the points are counted and over what period. One I saw recently was over 100 years and done on averages as not all clubs have played League footy for that long. Overall we were 65th, or 21st in L1...One place above where we finished. Every season in L1 is punching above our weight but many of the biggest moaners now were also the ones who moan every single season.....7th in L1 wasn't good enough etc.

We support a lower league team. Which means just like traffic queues on nice summers day.....Our town is destined for trips to L2.....After about 5 relegations to the bottom tier you don't worry about it.

Many people on here have some real issues to deal with over the next 12 months, so let us enjoy our little window of escapism on a Saturday. So if supporting some honest young lads in L2 and watching them progress nicely without the need to win every week, Isn't for you....Then don't come to RH. Don't drag your bag of misery with you and let the rest of us get on with being a fan.....A real fan. someone who actually wants to their team do well rather than wallow in told you so statements.

And guess what if Ron survives, thats just the price you will have to pay. It really wont spoil your life.

No-one here doesn't want Southend to do well. But you can't blame people for being concerned about our future more than ever.

No-one here doesn't want Southend to do well. But you can't blame people for being concerned about our future more than ever.

Well done pal. Not for the first time, you have missed the point.

I've never wanted text on a screen more inside of me

The alternate reality of that, is that we got a better chairman in. Someone who redeveloped roots Hall or we are currently playing football in a new stadium.

We have enjoyed our football in mainly league 1 with brief forays into the championship aka Rotherham.

The payers have been played. The fan base is happy and we live within our means and are seen a steady club to join.

The alternate reality of that, is that we got a better chairman in. Someone who redeveloped roots Hall or we are currently playing football in a new stadium.

We have enjoyed our football in mainly league 1 with brief forays into the championship aka Rotherham.

The payers have been played. The fan base is happy and we live within our means and are seen a steady club to join.

Always a what if isnt there?

In the 20 odd years, how many credible takeover bids have there been?

You can keep ignoring genuine points and replying what if?

Always a what if isnt there?

In the 20 odd years, how many credible takeover bids have there been?

You can keep ignoring genuine points and replying what if?

Loads of clubs have had positive take overs.

Off the top of my head.

Rotherham
Swansea
Brighton
Luton
Posh
Mansfield
Fleetwood
Pompey
Leicester
Man city
Wolves