• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United in no rush to name new manager

We certainly need a clean slate for the new season. Particularly, we need a change of mindset from top to bottom. We need some positive vibes throughout the club, we have been on a downward spiral as much as on the pitch as mentally.

Most importantly any new manager needs to be able to bring in their highlighted players. They need to be able to mould the team in their image and instil their philosophy throughout the team. Let’s hope the people above can sort out the current issues and allow the new manager to at least operate on a level playing field with the other league two teams.

I really don’t expect us to bounce straight back but if the manager is able to operate free from the shackles of before then we can at least expect a competitive season.

I live in hope but as usual there are so many twists and turns following this club and who knows what is round the corner!

just a short message for our scout up in scotland SHOULD HAVE GONE TO SPECSAVE !!!!!

The main job of the scout is to watch the upcoming opposition and to report the info to the management team....Not look for players to sign.

You do have scouts that will cover areas though and will be asked to watch a player for their club. It changes the level you are at as someone like us is unlikely to have that setup but your Manchesters and Barcelona's of the world will have scouts keeping an open eye all over the world. They may find a player the club wasn't aware of.

You do have scouts that will cover areas though and will be asked to watch a player for their club. It changes the level you are at as someone like us is unlikely to have that setup but your Manchesters and Barcelona's of the world will have scouts keeping an open eye all over the world. They may find a player the club wasn't aware of.

I was actually talking about Southend.

That aside the timing of your post is funny as a friend has just sent me a photo of his son signing for Hullbridge.... I had put his name forward after having a kick about with him in Greece a the other year.

I was chatting to an Ipswich scout the other year and played in a trail game for some the players , he was amazed that clubs like Southend don't venture into south London area, Charlton have a great academy as there is a hub of talent in some poor area's .
He also personally liked the appeal of players from a tougher upbringing, if you can tune into that and get the best out of their raw talent then your onto a winner .

If you take a look back at the players recruited since Brown left I don’t think it’s in any way harsh at all.

Laying it at the door of the scout is. It has often been said that many of the players we have signed since (and even during) Brown's reign have been the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th choices on the scouting list for each position because the ones higher up the list (and their agents) have baulked at the idea of joining SUFC because of the club's and the chairman's shocking reputation in the game and we've ended up losing out on those players to other clubs at our level. Not the scouting team's fault that the club can only attract the dregs from way down the shortlist.

There's definitely scouting going on

I didn't say there wasn't scouting going on. The discussion was about Roger Cross.

Laying it at the door of the scout is. It has often been said that many of the players we have signed since (and even during) Brown's reign have been the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th choices on the scouting list for each position because the ones higher up the list (and their agents) have baulked at the idea of joining SUFC because of the club's and the chairman's shocking reputation in the gatme and we've ended up losing out on those players to other clubs at our level. Not the scouting team's fault that the club can only attract the dregs from way down the shortlist.
You also need to factor in the high cost of living in the South East for players coming from areas out of commuting distance from London. I live in Lincolnshire and could never contemplate returning to Essex because of the financial implications. For the price of a fairly spacious 4-bedroomed detached house with a decent garden up here, you'd be lucky to find a 3-bed mid-terrace in commuter-land Essex, for instance.

We certainly need a clean slate for the new season. Particularly, we need a change of mindset from top to bottom. We need some positive vibes throughout the club, we have been on a downward spiral as much as on the pitch as mentally.

Most importantly any new manager needs to be able to bring in their highlighted players. They need to be able to mould the team in their image and instil their philosophy throughout the team. Let’s hope the people above can sort out the current issues and allow the new manager to at least operate on a level playing field with the other league two teams.

I really don’t expect us to bounce straight back but if the manager is able to operate free from the shackles of before then we can at least expect a competitive season.

I live in hope but as usual there are so many twists and turns following this club and who knows what is round the corner!
We must take into consideration that the club is in the worst position
its been for past 3/4 seasons.The incoming manager will have to operate in very difficult situation and because of the present climate Ron will want to pay peanuts.We are not an attractive club to join and with our payment record staff could even be waiting for those peanuts.Many names are mentioned on this site most unrealistic.

Sooner the better we get a manager in, all I’m seeing on sky sports news is this team that team in league one and two signing players already, not sure if we are in a position to sign players as in the embargo but I can see yet another season of last minute signings that are either left on the shelf that no body wants or we are missing out again as not offering a player a deal that is already on trail with us because another team offer a deal instead of us, if this is the case then don’t expect fans to come in there thousands :Cry:

A bit strange that his job title is Head of Recruitment.

That was my point... There is a difference between recruitment, someone who watches a player on loan and a scout who is there to look at the opposition... He will be looking at how the team set up, set pieces and how to stop their play maker etc.

PB preferred to look at players himself along with Coughlan....White, Coker, Thompson, Bolger, McLaughlin etc come to mind.

Trials and loans were good options and many were rejected in that time.... Some were nearly signed but didn’t fancy the journey or living in Southend, like James Henry, Liam Sercombe and Paul Hays.

CP had near misses with sonny Bradley and Lyle Taylor.

It’s easy to suggest a director of football and we can all see good players that we think would be ideal for us. But as a few examples from the hundreds of suggested names in any 5 year period prove above prove.... It’s far easier to do that at Real Madrid than it is at Southend United.....

Back