• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United in no rush to name new manager

Well we have over 30 applicants for this job, my guess is 5-7 may get interviewed, can we speed it up please.

Well we have over 30 applicants for this job, my guess is 5-7 may get interviewed, can we speed it up please.

Why? We have a winding up order hanging over our head. The championship season is still playing and we don’t have a start date for the new season. Why get someone in and start paying them now.

Anyway we have to wait until Millwall finish their season :Smile:

Why? We have a winding up order hanging over our head. The championship season is still playing and we don’t have a start date for the new season. Why get someone in and start paying them now.

Anyway we have to wait until Millwall finish their season :Smile:
I think Barrett should just walk b4 15.00pm today :Clap:

Laying it at the door of the scout is. It has often been said that many of the players we have signed since (and even during) Brown's reign have been the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th choices on the scouting list for each position because the ones higher up the list (and their agents) have baulked at the idea of joining SUFC because of the club's and the chairman's shocking reputation in the game and we've ended up losing out on those players to other clubs at our level. Not the scouting team's fault that the club can only attract the dregs from way down the shortlist.

Fair comments, maybe laying the blame with the Chief Scout doesn't tell the whole story. I think we can both agree though that the recruitment under both Powell and Bond was utterly horrendous and is the reason we will begin next season in League Two. I really don't think Ron's reputation is a reason for Powell and Bond to escape criticism on recruitment here though, our reputation as a club was still much better under them than it was when Sturrock walked into Roots Hall. He still managed to put a team together who did extremely well at a time when no agent in England would have encouraged their players to join Southend United. Bad workmen blame their tools - I'm not necessarily suggesting Powell was a bad workman but he got rid of key players and replaced them with dross. Bond was far worse though and Ron is certainly culpable with both appointments, particularly Bond. As much as I grew to dislike Campbell I'm quite sure he would have done far better than Powell and Bond if he'd actually been allowed to recruit. But by then it was far too late anyway.

Fair comments, maybe laying the blame with the Chief Scout doesn't tell the whole story. I think we can both agree though that the recruitment under both Powell and Bond was utterly horrendous and is the reason we will begin next season in League Two. I really don't think Ron's reputation is a reason for Powell and Bond to escape criticism on recruitment here though, our reputation as a club was still much better under them than it was when Sturrock walked into Roots Hall. He still managed to put a team together who did extremely well at a time when no agent in England would have encouraged their players to join Southend United. Bad workmen blame their tools - I'm not necessarily suggesting Powell was a bad workman but he got rid of key players and replaced them with dross. Bond was far worse though and Ron is certainly culpable with both appointments, particularly Bond. As much as I grew to dislike Campbell I'm quite sure he would have done far better than Powell and Bond if he'd actually been allowed to recruit. But by then it was far too late anyway.

Without a doubt, we can definitely agree that recruitment has been shocking since the final season or 2 of Brown's reign. All I'm saying is that it can't be laid at only one or two doors. The manager, the Chairman and the scouting staff will all, I'm sure, have stakes in the blame game. I definitely think it's fair to say though that, even more so from late-Brown onwards, the manager was rarely getting one of his top 3 targets for earmarked positions. Arguably you could say, "why bother signing anyone then?" but we all know that the fanbase would have been in uproar if signings weren't made. Bit of a catch-22 sometimes.

You also need to factor in the high cost of living in the South East for players coming from areas out of commuting distance from London. I live in Lincolnshire and could never contemplate returning to Essex because of the financial implications. For the price of a fairly spacious 4-bedroomed detached house with a decent garden up here, you'd be lucky to find a 3-bed mid-terrace in commuter-land Essex, for instance.

That I would say is one of the main issues with Southend. You get all the expense of the South East with few of the benefits. To give you some idea of the difference, friends of ours moved up to Lincoln a few years ago. One of the houses they were looking at was 6 bedroom with a pool and manege. It was £500,000.

As it happens Lincoln is pretty cheap because it's so far off the beaten track with no motorway access, but you get the idea.

Without a doubt, we can definitely agree that recruitment has been shocking since the final season or 2 of Brown's reign. All I'm saying is that it can't be laid at only one or two doors. The manager, the Chairman and the scouting staff will all, I'm sure, have stakes in the blame game. I definitely think it's fair to say though that, even more so from late-Brown onwards, the manager was rarely getting one of his top 3 targets for earmarked positions. Arguably you could say, "why bother signing anyone then?" but we all know that the fanbase would have been in uproar if signings weren't made. Bit of a catch-22 sometimes.

Agreed. I also believe that the severe decline in recruitment quality coincided with Steve Kavanagh's exit as CEO. Whether not replacing him also played a part I guess we'll never know but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it has.

Not sure how the poor signings by CP theory started but its now another zone myth. Up there with PB touted himself for other jobs

Barratt and Lennon had long term serious injuries from tackles in the first week. Hopper was looking good then had a year long injury. He signed an excellent replacement in Humphrys and if he had not been deliberately taken out by a keeper, then CP might still be here

No one thought Mantom was a bad signing after we see him on loan and although Dieng is not my cup of tea he is not a 'bad' signing

Loanees like Hart and Taylor Moore were excellent as long term cover.

CP had the worse run of injuries in our history, some fans blamed him for not having cover when no manger in our history could possibly cover 14 longterm injuries in a season.

Even though he has been out of the game for far to long, Tilly has nothing to lose but KM and AB certainly do. I don't want to see or hear the utter ignorance that was aimed at CP, used once again to drive them out of the club before Christmas.

If you weren't one of them then you certainly won't take offence. If you are then what is there to say.

Last edited:
Is there any possibility that the new man is already chosen and agreed, is already calling the shots on the decision of the current squad, but is also in decent employment elsewhere and so it suits both parties financially for that to remain the case until the latest possible moment?

Probably nonsense as it'd be some ruse to pull off and keep it quiet.

That was my point... There is a difference between recruitment, someone who watches a player on loan and a scout who is there to look at the opposition... He will be looking at how the team set up, set pieces and how to stop their play maker etc.

PB preferred to look at players himself along with Coughlan....White, Coker, Thompson, Bolger, McLaughlin etc come to mind.

Trials and loans were good options and many were rejected in that time.... Some were nearly signed but didn’t fancy the journey or living in Southend, like James Henry, Liam Sercombe and Paul Hays.

CP had near misses with sonny Bradley and Lyle Taylor.

It’s easy to suggest a director of football and we can all see good players that we think would be ideal for us. But as a few examples from the hundreds of suggested names in any 5 year period prove above prove.... It’s far easier to do that at Real Madrid than it is at Southend United.....
Would that be the Paul Hayes who came from Rayleigh?

Is there any possibility that the new man is already chosen and agreed, is already calling the shots on the decision of the current squad, but is also in decent employment elsewhere and so it suits both parties financially for that to remain the case until the latest possible moment?

Don't know about the employment part either way. But wouldn't be surprised at all if something is agreed with somebody but not announced to save an extra wage on the wage bill.

Would that be the Paul Hayes who came from Rayleigh?

Yes he was one of two that ended up at Wycombe in which PB was interested. I believe the other was Sam Saunders, the lad who was injured in the first minute of the play-off final

Pretty sure we tried to sign him way back when Tilly was in charge and rumour was he hates us. Don't know if that's anything to do with his older brother's short-lived stint here in the mid-90s?

Not sure how the poor signings by CP theory started but its now another zone myth. Up there with PB touted himself for other jobs

Barratt and Lennon had long term serious injuries from tackles in the first week. Hopper was looking good then had a year long injury. He signed an excellent replacement in Humphrys and if he had not been deliberately taken out by a keeper, then CP might still be here

No one thought Mantom was a bad signing after we see him on loan and although Dieng is not my cup of tea he is not a 'bad' signing

Loanees like Hart and Taylor Moore were excellent as long term cover.

CP had the worse run of injuries in our history, some fans blamed him for not having cover when no manger in our history could possibly cover 14 longterm injuries in a season.

Even though he has been out of the game for far to long, Tilly has nothing to lose but KM and AB certainly do. I don't want to see or hear the utter ignorance that was aimed at CP, used once again to drive them out of the club before Christmas.

If you weren't one of them then you certainly won't take offence. If you are then what is there to say.

I don't think his signings were necessarily bad, they just didn't seem to have the same commitment levels and the fact that the team hasn't been fit or certainly didn't look fit inbetween PB leaving and SC arriving.

The players looked unfit and at times clueless under both CP and KB.

Unfit players get injured far easier. Is it more than just coincidence that powell had such rotten luck on that front.

Either way, Powell will always be a legend in my eyes. It just didn't happen for him as manager.

Well, the wording is 'no rush to name' the new manager and not 'no rush to appoint' him.

Maybe I'm reading way too much into that though.

Pretty sure we tried to sign him way back when Tilly was in charge and rumour was he hates us. Don't know if that's anything to do with his older brother's short-lived stint here in the mid-90s?
Isn't he Kelman's agent?

Part of me thinks (hopes?) you could be on to something there. Just reading through Ron's statement from 10 says ago again, it does seem that maybe his time away from Roots Hall has allowed him to put some kind of plan in place and that maybe some off the record conversations have taken place with an agreement reached in principle.
Then again the other part of me thinks I'm being stupid even allowing myself to think that Ron is ahead of the game on this one.
Either way, I reckon we can expect some kind of update from Ron over the course of the next 3/4 days.

Last edited:
Part of me thinks (hopes?) you could be on to something there. Just reading through Ron's statement from 10 says ago again, it does seem that maybe his time away from Roots Hall has allowed him to put some kind of plan in place and that maybe some off the record conversations have taken place with an agreement reached in principle.
Then again the other part of me thinks I'm being stupid even allowing myself to think that Ron is ahead of the game on this one.
Either way, I reckon we can expect some kind update from Ron over the course of the next 3/4 days.
I guess if AB is the chosen route the Ron wont make formal approach to 22nd. Ron will not talk to AB before but no doubt AB & Tilly are talking. That may or may not play into your scenario (i.e.Tilly and Ron can talk) but after last time Ron will be playing it by the book if it is the plan.

Yes quite possibly. That adds to my point that there are numerous reasons why players don't sign.....That goes for any club in our position.

I don't believe appointing Ricky Duncan as DOF will solve any of those problems.....Its one thing saying to a 12 year old and his family we believe you have the ability to make it and our record here at the SUFC academy speaks for itself....Then you point out how many lads are making appearances in the first team, thats a great sales pitch.

Now put Ricky up against some slimy agent who doesn't have his journeyman, even if he is only 25, players interest truly at heart.....The agent knows the lack of payments to other agents rumour and obviously the player knows the financial rumours within the game. Then just like James Henry he spends 1 hour just to get to the M25 and suddenly the idea of commuting loses its appeal.

Suddenly Ricky will be just like everyone else and sifting through 30 players rather than targeting players that fit fans philosophy of how football should be played. Nice idea but especially now in 2020 its not the time and Ricky is far to much of an asset to risk in any way.

Coventry only scored about 9 more goals than us, plenty of teams above us scored less than us. Cov only conceded only 30 goals, us 85 in just 35 games. Thats why they are champs and we are the worst team in history. If we don't want to end up non league try to reduce goals let in to about 50's. If you want a trip to Wembley 40's, less than that would probably be promotion.

Its a simple game and far to many forget the basics when they overcomplicate every thing......We just need a manager who understands basics.....On the pitch, certainly off the pitch, show some respect to the staff and last but not least don't forget the people in the stands. We are known as fans but we also pay the wages and its nice when someone remembers that now and again.

Back