• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United in no rush to name new manager

Yes quite possibly. That adds to my point that there are numerous reasons why players don't sign.....That goes for any club in our position.

I don't believe appointing Ricky Duncan as DOF will solve any of those problems.....Its one thing saying to a 12 year old and his family we believe you have the ability to make it and our record here at the SUFC academy speaks for itself....Then you point out how many lads are making appearances in the first team, thats a great sales pitch.

Now put Ricky up against some slimy agent who doesn't have his journeyman, even if he is only 25, players interest truly at heart.....The agent knows the lack of payments to other agents rumour and obviously the player knows the financial rumours within the game. Then just like James Henry he spends 1 hour just to get to the M25 and suddenly the idea of commuting loses its appeal.

Suddenly Ricky will be just like everyone else and sifting through 30 players rather than targeting players that fit fans philosophy of how football should be played. Nice idea but especially now in 2020 its not the time and Ricky is far to much of an asset to risk in any way.

Coventry only scored about 9 more goals than us, plenty of teams above us scored less than us. Cov only conceded only 30 goals, us 85 in just 35 games. Thats why they are champs and we are the worst team in history. If we don't want to end up non league try to reduce goals let in to about 50's. If you want a trip to Wembley 40's, less than that would probably be promotion.

Its a simple game and far to many forget the basics when they overcomplicate every thing......We just need a manager who understands basics.....On the pitch, certainly off the pitch, show some respect to the staff and last but not least don't forget the people in the stands. We are known as fans but we also pay the wages and its nice when someone remembers that now and again.
Yes indeed Rigsby, look at how well Liverpool did when they finally completed the back four set up properly. Strikers can win you games, but defenders can win you league titles. I would dearly love to see three big solid defenders step into SUFC and give a solid base for our very young side to play from. Above all else, you do not want to flirt with relegation in L2. Anyway, i do think a manager is lined up already, the way Ron spoke of passion needed for the next appointment, when he told us Sol was leaving. Sounded like he knew of that person already to me.

Yes indeed Rigsby, look at how well Liverpool did when they finally completed the back four set up properly. Strikers can win you games, but defenders can win you league titles. I would dearly love to see three big solid defenders step into SUFC and give a solid base for our very young side to play from. Above all else, you do not want to flirt with relegation in L2. Anyway, i do think a manager is lined up already, the way Ron spoke of passion needed for the next appointment, when he told us Sol was leaving. Sounded like he knew of that person already to me.

Sean, I am not sure the Chairman has got someone lined up. I hope you are right. I thought he was speaking of passion to prepare the way for Sol's departure. He seemed to be signalling Sol was not committed enough. A sort of re-run of when the Chairman looked into Steve Wignall's eyes many years ago and saw there was no passion there!

Sean, I am not sure the Chairman has got someone lined up. I hope you are right. I thought he was speaking of passion to prepare the way for Sol's departure. He seemed to be signalling Sol was not committed enough. A sort of re-run of when the Chairman looked into Steve Wignall's eyes many years ago and saw there was no passion there!
Haha good old Wignall ! I guess if Ron has cherry picked a manager who is with another club, we'll never know if it was all rubber stamped already. Reading between Ron's lines does get more difficult each year Rob !

I largely agree with where you are coming from but having a solid defensive unit is as much about the players in front of them as it is about the back. Instead of your 3 big solid defenders I'd take a centre-half, a centre-mid and a centre-forward. The centre-half to dominate in the air and organise those at the back to play around him, a mobile centre-mid to protect the defence and the centre-forward to hold the ball up and relieve the pressure on the defence. I reckon my strong spine would be more effective as a defensive unit than your strong defence.

Ron might know who he wants as next manager (and he should have a good idea of all the candidates having been through this process March-April 2019 when he appointed Bond as caretaker manager, again in May 2019 when he held off on appointing Bond permanently, then again in September-October 2019 whilst he eventually got round to appointing Campbell) but that's different from having the new manager appointed - as he found out when the Larsson deal fell through.

Not sure how the poor signings by CP theory started but its now another zone myth. Up there with PB touted himself for other jobs

Barratt and Lennon had long term serious injuries from tackles in the first week. Hopper was looking good then had a year long injury. He signed an excellent replacement in Humphrys and if he had not been deliberately taken out by a keeper, then CP might still be here

No one thought Mantom was a bad signing after we see him on loan and although Dieng is not my cup of tea he is not a 'bad' signing

Loanees like Hart and Taylor Moore were excellent as long term cover.

CP had the worse run of injuries in our history, some fans blamed him for not having cover when no manger in our history could possibly cover 14 longterm injuries in a season.

Even though he has been out of the game for far to long, Tilly has nothing to lose but KM and AB certainly do. I don't want to see or hear the utter ignorance that was aimed at CP, used once again to drive them out of the club before Christmas.

If you weren't one of them then you certainly won't take offence. If you are then what is there to say.

I share a sense of disgust about the treatment that CP received from some ... one thing that I do wonder, and wondered at the time, was if his fitness and conditioning team and regime
was up to the necessary standard.

I think everyone agrees that Colbert made a significant difference when he was brought in by Sol.

I think PB had this covered - but don't know the details.

I think its a key area in the modern game and missing from some recent RH regimes.

That's not how I read it. I read it as Sol doesn't have the passion for SUFC and therefore he'll be on his way. I didn't read it that he already knew who would replace him.

Given that RM has said he's in no hurry I don't believe that to be the case either.

That's not how I read it. I read it as Sol doesn't have the passion for SUFC and therefore he'll be on his way. I didn't read it that he already knew who would replace him.

Given that RM has said he's in no hurry I don't believe that to be the case either.

You could read it as "I can't afford Sol Campbell"

Throughout the decades of supporting the Blues there has always been a sense of intrigue and anticipation when a new manager is to be unveiled. For me, this time, I don't give a toss. Getting who we want as fans can end up a disappointment , getting what we are given is often divisive and too often an anticlimax and so maybe, just maybe, we might end up with a diamond in the rough. I will not hold my breath for that one.

All we need right now is some continuity. Not a 'stepping stone' manager or one that wants to be a technical wizard. We are in lg 2. We need a guy that creates a disciplined, cohesive unit of players adept at the level they are playing and who will just wind them up and let them get on with it.

A manager, that can replace overexpectation with a down to earth realism, will do for me.

Ron, who I think has tried his best, needs to be straight and tell the new manager the war chest has been replaced by a shoestring. If the new guy/guys can come in, and know what's what, they will be less likely to feel let down.

It's time for a new broom, an upgrade on a Brush, to come in and clean up the mistakes of the past.

I'd rather we take a punt on someone unproven but intelligent and who's taken his coaching badges rather than some journeyman manager with a string of clubs behind him or someone with a reputation as a player at the top level with no coaching qualifications. This guy maybe okay.

Could be a good shout. Has his uefa badges and has done a lot of coaching albeit never at this level.

Back