• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United in talks with at least three managerial candidates

I don't quite understand the negativity about Tilson. As much as I prefer not to reach into our past for an appointment, the reasons cited by most, seem to question his ability to understand the modern game. When he was first managing us he was new, raw, lacked experience and probably made good use of Brush for his shortcomings. However, he was respected and passionate. A rare combination. Equally, I can't believe that in the subsequent years he has not progressed his views on the way the game is played. He needed to learn and maybe he has. He has certainly seen a lot of football from the stands and I firmly believe that is often more useful than seeing it from the dugout.

If he has progressed with the modern game then why hasn’t he managed a professional league team since Lincoln? He’s been out of the professional game for so long now

I’d be very happy with Fagan as manager and Tilson as assistant. Two passionate blokes who know and care about the club and will give their all. Can’t ask for more than that.

I’d be very happy with Fagan as manager and Tilson as assistant. Two passionate blokes who know and care about the club and will give their all. Can’t ask for more than that.

Unfortunately Tilson isn’t looking to be an assistant he wants the top job. Think he would only take the assistant if Barrett was manager.

Ron has to get this appointment right so I can understand why Maher wasn't interviewed. Maybe one for the future.

If he has progressed with the modern game then why hasn’t he managed a professional league team since Lincoln? He’s been out of the professional game for so long now

Because his reputation dived after the debacle of Southend and quite probably Lincoln was a bad choice to try and resurrect his successful days. Subsequently he is one of hundreds of candidates for manager jobs. I don't know how many, if any, he has applied for or whether he was only going to tempted back by one job in particular. Whether or not he can coach in the modern era is conjecture and only provable if he were given a chance. Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling for his appointment. I would love him to take the job and do well but fear the poison chalice may set him back further.

Because his reputation dived after the debacle of Southend and quite probably Lincoln was a bad choice to try and resurrect his successful days. Subsequently he is one of hundreds of candidates for manager jobs. I don't know how many, if any, he has applied for or whether he was only going to tempted back by one job in particular. Whether or not he can coach in the modern era is conjecture and only provable if he were given a chance. Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling for his appointment. I would love him to take the job and do well but fear the poison chalice may set him back further.
He did manage Canvey and Basildon Ladies after Lincoln as well

Sorry, I just don’t get this “ the game has moved on “, or “ the modem game” stuff. It’s still Association Football. The fact that the Premiership is getting further and further away from the lower leagues is their fault, not ours. The so called “modern game” seems only different in how well a player can con a referee or how they react to a VRM decision. If that’s the “modern game”, I would rather we appoint Tilly now, with strict instructions to play things exactly the way he used to. I’d far rather see the honest endeavour that he encouraged, rather than the painfully and annoyingly poor acting and “fairy football” that seems to be becoming everyone’s accepted norm.

I really think finances must come into it. Reading in my paper today that the Government will not be offering any further financial help. The message is quite clear, that football must sort itself out.

I really think finances must come into it. Reading in my paper today that the Government will not be offering any further financial help. The message is quite clear, that football must sort itself out.
Couldn't we open the burger bar to operate the 2 for 1 government backed scheme as a way round and to raise some funds?

I still don’t get how much weight lots of people are putting in the love for the club angle. I’m not clear where this equates to success. For me it’s all about about someone who can work with a tight budget, inspire youngsters, make 1 or 2 shrewd signings through knowledge of our level and then grind out results to keep up safe. On top of that if someone can show they have some creativity to get us to be a promotion chasing team in subsequent years then so much the better. Finally if they have links to the club even better. In the short term the only benefit of that I see is getting the goodwill of the fans.

Looking back Sturrock would have fallen in that category of being outdated ,but turned out to be our saviour....what a shambles to be in the same if not worse position today!!

Sorry, I just don’t get this “ the game has moved on “, or “ the modem game” stuff. It’s still Association Football. The fact that the Premiership is getting further and further away from the lower leagues is their fault, not ours. The so called “modern game” seems only different in how well a player can con a referee or how they react to a VRM decision. If that’s the “modern game”, I would rather we appoint Tilly now, with strict instructions to play things exactly the way he used to. I’d far rather see the honest endeavour that he encouraged, rather than the painfully and annoyingly poor acting and “fairy football” that seems to be becoming everyone’s accepted norm.
But sadly it's still about keeping the players focused on the games with a greater number of distractions that are not welcomed (social media, additional scrutiny, other clubs interest) and that are pushed by the club (social media ironically, doing other projects within the community, increasing the club brand). Players used to be out in the pub and bookies in club tracksuits straight from training not that long ago.....

Tilson without Brush is like a tap without a washer. Or something. I’d rather we looked forward, the Tilly era was the greatest most of us have seen but it’s in the past just like PB and any past player that keeps cropping up like Timlin, Leonard or Ranger. We do love a look back don't we?

Tilson without Brush is like a tap without a washer. Or something. I’d rather we looked forward, the Tilly era was the greatest most of us have seen but it’s in the past just like PB and any past player that keeps cropping up like Timlin, Leonard or Ranger. We do love a look back don't we?
I think every club does love to look back fondly to be fair, unless they are winning now of course.....

What might be very relevant and we don’t know is the management teams associated with each candidate- maybe we do we Currie. Ron presumably does know and this, for example, explain the interest in Tilly..

Back