• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United in talks with striker and chairman Ron Martin hopes to clear embargo next week

Model pro as well.

He must have been around 35 when we had him and I'd bank on him being one of the hardest working in the squad
. He never seemed to stop running and chasing lost causes. The partnership he had with Cox was a great one at times as well.

The realisation that in a little over two years we have gone from Cox and Fortune to Goodship and Acquah is terrifying. What makes it worse is some people used to slate Fortune - I'd do anything to have a player like that up front for us now!

I was on a table with him for one of the sponsors dinners and I would agree with model pro wholeheartedly! I think most players had a drink that night, MAF only drank water all night. I can't remember what he had for dinner but do remember he had it altered by removing something and requesting extra veg. He was also very supportive/protective of Luke Amos who was the other player on our table. I remember being very impressed with him and his obvious dedication. I was a bit jealous of those sitting with Nile Ranger downing snakebites though haha

The worrying comments from MM was something along the lines of "Every club is struggling like us right now"

So we literally have no ****ing excuse for being this **** ? ??

Dear God! We are done.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry

Has it not already been explained to us that during a transfer window we are allowed a min 23 in the squad embargo or not. So as per in the last window we would be able to replace leavers (incl. with those signed not yet registered).
As it happens I think the embargo will gone before Jan- whether its this week? Well who knows..

Clearly not before Saturday's game.So that's goodbye to 3 points then.

The worrying comments from MM was something along the lines of "Every club is struggling like us right now"

So we literally have no ****ing excuse for being this **** ? ??

Dear God! We are done.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry

What worried me in his BP interview was that now it's him hoping that the transfer embargo will be lifted when the EFL's bailout fund comes through.Last week it was the Chairman.

Last edited:
The initial minimum £250k was reported as coming within a week, At worst we could have this by next Friday?

As I understand the £350k x 24 teams for league One = £9m

The £250k package to league 2 = £250k x 24 = £6m

Thats the initial £15m paid out

The next £15m is paid out on the lost gates formula ( being devised ) and related to aspects of last season and this, An EFL and Premier league Group will determine the amounts based on their agreed criteria and club submissions to their panel

THE Final £20m is the monitored grant where clubs will also have to apply to an EFL and Prem Lge PANEL. This will have an agreed eligibility framework and clubs can apply for the grant based ON NEED. However here if granted a sum from this pot, criteria will apply ( to be worked out) around players wages and a clubs transfer spend. The grant will be monitored and if the club sticks by the rules , gets to keep the grant, But it has to be paid back if the club breaches the stipulated criteria on wages and transfer spend

Is this how others see it at present ?

This thread started two weeks ago with the heading “ embargo hopes to be cleared next week” still nothing. What week will it be cleared, relegation is almost certain and with the current crop of so called strikers who cannot hit a barn yard from two feet another zero on the score board looks to be on the cards tomorrow.

Ron will keep trotting out the embargo will be lifted by next week ...and one week it will actually be true. I dont think any team in world footballing history has been under an embargo as long as we have, especially as we sold the silver, crippling us as a team but allegedly for the greater good of paying off HMRC and lifting the embargo...it wasn't lifted when paid, Ron knew this and just fobbed us fans off. It is now clear as day he is more than happy for us to be in the National league, paying less wages again and hold out for this stadium that only benefits him. Make no bones about it we aren't going to be like Tranmere, Shrewsbury or Bristol Rovers and go down for a season or two and come back up - we are heading the way of York, Hereford and Boston and dropping into obscurity - and our hard fought increase in fan base over recent years of around 6-7k hard core will rapidly dwindle away. It really is a sad state of affairs, most clubs suffer quickly ala Bury or Aldershot and go to the wall quickly, we have in truth been like this for best part of a Decade thanks to the greed of one man

Ron will keep trotting out the embargo will be lifted by next week ...and one week it will actually be true. I dont think any team in world footballing history has been under an embargo as long as we have, especially as we sold the silver, crippling us as a team but allegedly for the greater good of paying off HMRC and lifting the embargo...it wasn't lifted when paid, Ron knew this and just fobbed us fans off. It is now clear as day he is more than happy for us to be in the National league, paying less wages again and hold out for this stadium that only benefits him. Make no bones about it we aren't going to be like Tranmere, Shrewsbury or Bristol Rovers and go down for a season or two and come back up - we are heading the way of York, Hereford and Boston and dropping into obscurity - and our hard fought increase in fan base over recent years of around 6-7k hard core will rapidly dwindle away. It really is a sad state of affairs, most clubs suffer quickly ala Bury or Aldershot and go to the wall quickly, we have in truth been like this for best part of a Decade thanks to the greed of one man

This makes for very sad reading, but its hard to disagree. Worst still is we could be playing and being beaten by Billericay (my home town club), i never honestly believed that we would actually come close to playing at the same level as teams like this, but it could actually become reality and that is desperately sad

This makes for very sad reading, but its hard to disagree. Worst still is we could be playing and being beaten by Billericay (my home town club), i never honestly believed that we would actually come close to playing at the same level as teams like this, but it could actually become reality and that is desperately sad
Unfortunately we have already been beaten by my 'home town' club and probably will be again before the season is out..

I guess an optimistic view is that Ron expected the bail-out deal to be agreed early in the week giving time for the money to arrive through his letter box and then be used to settle the bills so the embargo could be lifted in time for tomorrow. I doubt if he's got the money yet. Another optimistic view is that Ron referred to the "temporary embargo" when he wrote to ShrimpersTrust. There's me thinking it was permanent.

"I'll clear the embargo next week" and "we'll start developing the new ground in the spring".

Much the same, and frankly I've stopped listening to him. I wish there was a bit of honest involved. If believes what he says at the time he says, and things don't work out for whatever reason - just tell us. Most of us understand.

Totally agree with the above..
If it's bad news, let us know....don't keep stringing us along please , don't take us for fools.

How abut an announcement that if / when the bailout comes, "things will improve instantly , if only temporarily and the plan for the rest of the season is..."

Looking on the OS I reckon Ron read your post & decided to act ?
I wonder if he has a shadow puppet on here?
The Zone has at least one current SUFC employee registered as a Zone member. It is also monitored by the Club on a regular basis. There is absolutely no intent to effect posters comments but that is why sometimes we request that posters don't post anything that could be slanderous or libellous.

Back