• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United joint third favourites to be relegated from League One

The trouble is we only concentrate on what is happening here regards lack of transfers and injuries etc. I am sure there must be other teams with similar problems to us.

I remember with about 8 games to go there were about 12 teams in the relegation mix. cant see all of them making great strides over the close season. Personally I would be a layer rather than a player at them odds.

Ridiculous to even speculate yet when squads haven’t been finalised.
Clubs like ours that can’t afford to splash the pre season cash, and rely on a few out of contract and loan players, won’t have their final line ups for some time.

I struggle with this a little bit. I appreciate we are in significant debt. However we get reminded with regularity that we have the fifth highest budget in the league available and on top of that we released 9 players , some like Turner being high earners. It I addition not all the eleven clubs who have pulled in around 6+ players each are full of cash ? It seems to me more like it is the way Southend like to approach things and in the main its very slow and not particularly productive

P.S Only 4 clubs have done less business than us and two of them are?were in administration and can do very little apart from sell

You know what, bring it on!

The further we are from expectations of promotion the better. That way, we either won't be disappointed when the wheels fall off, or better still, we will be the ones laughing at the bookmakers expense when we sneak up the league and make the play offs!!

I have entered the last three plus seasons with great trepidation. Too many old players, weak defence, injury prone journeymen etc... For whatever reason, dementia, psychosis, delusion...I am very optimistic for this coming season. There are players within our team that I believe are game changers and others that have great potential. We are about to enter a fun era as Southend fans!

I have entered the last three plus seasons with great trepidation. Too many old players, weak defence, injury prone journeymen etc... For whatever reason, dementia, psychosis, delusion...I am very optimistic for this coming season. There are players within our team that I believe are game changers and others that have great potential. We are about to enter a fun era as Southend fans!

I actually agree with you on this.

If Southend fans can just stay positive and play the long game I think you could see some very enjoyable times and some very good individuals arrive and move on to better things....frustrating sometimes but if you accept that is how a club like Southend survives and take great pleasure in knowing these players passed through your club on their journey then it can be enjoyable....

With our new management team's wider club connections and Harry R lurking in the background, I feel that they may have contacts in more clubs to recruit some good players on loan. I know lots of posters on this forum don't like having loanees on principle but, where needs must, it has to be the most cost-effective solution. Without bringing in Taylor Moore and Sam Hart on loan last season we would probably be looking at League 2 football now. For that reason, I'd say taking the 16-1 for a successful season is a better bet than 3-1 to go down.

Why does anyone insist of making a reference to Harry Redknapp “lurking in the background”?

There has been no suggestion whatsoever that he has any interest in being involved or any use to us at all.

In fact I’d imagine it would, if not does already, get on KBs tits hearing it!!!

3/1 to beat Coventry first game, looks a good price

Manager will have the team playing the way he wants, Coventry playing a home game away, smaller crowd and the Roots Hall Roar at St Andrews could be a factor

I would rather bet on single games then gamble on 16/1 over 46 games

UTS

Why does anyone insist of making a reference to Harry Redknapp “lurking in the background”?

There has been no suggestion whatsoever that he has any interest in being involved or any use to us at all.

In fact I’d imagine it would, if not does already, get on KBs tits hearing it!!!

As far as I am aware, H R didn't used to turn up to watch Southend matches until Kevin Bond arrived but I may be wrong.

He watched 1 or 2 and publicly stated how he wondered what on earth he was doing each time he drove home!

He also said he was only interested in watching cos it was a mate was in charge!

He watched 1 or 2 and publicly stated how he wondered what on earth he was doing each time he drove home!

He also said he was only interested in watching cos it was a mate was in charge!
Okay. You clearly know more than I do. I was commenting on the reasons why I would take the odds on a successful season (on message for this thread) rather than to enter into a debate on whether or not the manager's 'mate' might or might not give him any helpful information about players that might come in handy. Apologies for giving my innocent, uninformed opinion. I won't bother next time.

Jesus that didn’t take long to throw the toys out....it normally takes me 3/4 posts for people to get a strop on!

I don’t know anything. My point was this incessant reference to “Harry lurking in the background” or “pulling strings from behind the green curtain” gets on my tits....when there is no evidence to support it.

Furthermore, the fact that anyone would base their predictions for the success or not of our season on Harry’s involvement and player base, just seems even more ludicrous to me especially given the lack of success he had with 80% of his signings at most of his clubs!!!

Jesus that didn’t take long to throw the toys out....it normally takes me 3/4 posts for people to get a strop on!

I don’t know anything. My point was this incessant reference to “Harry lurking in the background” or “pulling strings from behind the green curtain” gets on my tits....when there is no evidence to support it.

Furthermore, the fact that anyone would base their predictions for the success or not of our season on Harry’s involvement and player base, just seems even more ludicrous to me especially given the lack of success he had with 80% of his signings at most of his clubs!!!

That's interesting because it normally only takes other people one post for you to get a strop on :Winking:

You're obviously getting better at it, practice makes perfect you know.:Winking:

That's interesting because it normally only takes other people one post for you to get a strop on :Winking:

Big case of Pots and kettles here I think.:Winking:

Back