• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United joint third favourites to be relegated from League One

Unlikely comparable injury crises aside, not a chance. Mid table at worst/upper mid table/play off flirtations at best in my humble.

Agree with these odds atm, not enough creativity as of yet, and no left back. Plenty of time to change that of course

Odds are 5% knowledge/predicted outcome, 95% how much money has been bet by the punters so far reflected in risk-managed and profiteering values.

I am in agreement with you atm Clarky. If Andre Blackman is the peak of our ambition, I would puts us odds on for the drop. The defence isn't good enough and no creativity in midfield are 2 major reasons for my opinion, and that's what this is, my opinion. Our blend of strikers on paper is good, but mainly untested, but with little or no service they will struggle to have a major impact on games and be living off of scraps at the moment.

Still, all that can change over the next three weeks, but I would rather see developments sooner rather than later now, this close to the season kicking off.

Whilst Oddschecker have relegation odds of :

Bury 4/7
Bolton 2/1
Accrington 3/1
Wycombe 3/1

Then it's AFC Wombles, Tranmere and Rochdale

Stands to reason that a team who only stayed up on last day of the season will be amongst favourites for relegation.I think we will be mid table this year

Ridiculous to even speculate yet when squads haven’t been finalised.
Clubs like ours that can’t afford to splash the pre season cash, and rely on a few out of contract and loan players, won’t have their final line ups for some time.

Hard to disagree. Need a proper meathead at the back or else we will continue to get bullied by bigger sides.

So after Bury and Bolton, who for obvious reasons are bookies favourites, then its us.

It is a fact that the teams who just survive often do go down the following year. Though Plymouth and Scunny spoilt that theory last year.

At the top end again its teams that missed out who often challenge for promotion. So 16/1 doesn't seem good odds for us to go up. Some clubs have manged the double like Luton and Burton and of course us under Tilly. then you have those that bounce straight back to the Championship. But off the top of my head, in recent times I can only think of Wednesday a few years back who finished bottom half of L1 but promoted the following season.....Are there many others?

It's also not uncommon for a team who challenged at the top one year to go down the following. Shrews were in danger of that last year, I think the last time we went down we'd only just missed the play-offs the year before. I think for us a lot will depend on which Dru turns up & whether he stays fit, because he is the only class midfield creator we currently have.

It's also not uncommon for a team who challenged at the top one year to go down the following. Shrews were in danger of that last year, I think the last time we went down we'd only just missed the play-offs the year before. I think for us a lot will depend on which Dru turns up & whether he stays fit, because he is the only class midfield creator we currently have.

Yes I had them as my 'Team to drop the most places' last season. They had lost all their best players.

I also thought Rochdale and Wimbledon would be down but but a change of manger for Dale and the vital 3 point winning goals from Pigott saved the Dons.

I did get Walsall right. They looked weak the season before and finished badly. Rather like Accrington last season....

I think we will do well to stay up this season.

We scrapped over the line last season and some how managed to weaken our team ?

I think we will do well to stay up this season.

We scrapped over the line last season and some how managed to weaken our team ?
We went on a terrible run without a win tho, now if we were to avoid the same then we must fancy our chances to stay up, I’ll be surprised if we are in bottom 6 come March time.

For what it's worth, when we kicked off last season we were making chances galore and there was a warm feeling that we would have a reasonable seaon. The catalogue of injuries we endured soon into the season is well known and from then on we struggled for the rest of the season.

Those that were injured are now making good progress to being fit and should make 1st team appearances sooner rather than later in this coming season. We have signed two new players so far and both have had a reasonable/good press on here and there is no reason to doubt that Bond will recruit some more newbies. To even suggest that we will struggle without any real evidence is bordering on utter nonsense, so maybe we just wait and see what new players come in, and what evidence we can see of the side after some more friendlies.Even that probably won't be enough to reach a reasoned opinion on our chances for the season, that will take 4/5 league games to decide I think.

Bookies have opinions and often they are rubbish, I personally think they will be this time where Southend are concerned. So for anyone on here that is already digging our grave, maybe give the shovel a rest for a while.

Back