• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United keen on former Bristol Rovers midfielder

I think a little of it comes from research like this......

Further results show that peak age may vary directly with ability.

At last the only thing that is relevant to any of the 'scientific' evidence you have presented.

Every single person on here understands that Bazz......Lenny will be better at 31 than Sam Manton at 27. Same with any sport or even children playing games.

Don't get upset i'm just trying to be constructive and I really am thinking of others.

At last the only thing that is relevant to any of the 'scientific' evidence you have presented.

Every single person on here understands that Bazz......Lenny will be better at 31 than Sam Manton at 27. Same with any sport or even children playing games.

Don't get upset i'm just trying to be constructive and I really am thinking of others.
Not sure about that mate. I've seen @LennySUFC play football and he's ****

I think you are probably right and our mean average could be considerably less depending on who you include in the squad and the big factor whether they get to play often?

Say we add in Seadon, Bwomono, Clifford, W, alsh, Kinali, Phillips, Egbri, Chandler, Mitchell Nelson, Hart, Bridge, Howard, Gard? Benton Rush O Shane Stewart, Coker

What does that do to the mean, How many would count or play?

On the other hand if we signed Demi , Holmes and Ogogo we would potentially limit the opportunities for these youngsters and does that build a future as well?

For the sake of a bit of fun, we could field Oxley, Halford, White, Coulson Dunne, Demetriou, Murphy, Holmes, Ogogo, , but would they get torn one by a succession of peaked up opponents and our promotion hopes expire

Ive have consistently referenced my desire for a decent balance and hope we achieve it, maybe with one or two cracking loan signings too? At the moment it could be said our balance is a tilted in a certain direction but that could change soonish I hope

At the moment

Interestingly the mean average of our squad age will probably be around the 27 figure I would guess although we will probably have few players in the 25-27 bracket.

Whats your view Andy on how many youngsters would likely count in the squad from our current crop?

My concern is there seems to be only one end of the spectrum or the other at the club at the moment. We could do with a few more players between 25-30 - although Bridge is a good start. We don't have many - can only think of Akinola, Ferguson, ANG, Bridge, Dieng (on his way), probably a couple more I've forgotten about. Lennon and Ralph could still play a part of course (although I'd rather Lennon left, for his sake and ours).

For me, that is the worry. There are of course merits to having experienced over-30s in the squad, particularly at this level, but they are more likely to miss games through injury. One of the issues in recent years is having a consistent line-up.

The difficulty is the players at the peak of their powers are harder to get hold of, particularly if they're any good.

My concern is there seems to be only one end of the spectrum or the other at the club at the moment. We could do with a few more players between 25-30 - although Bridge is a good start. We don't have many - can only think of Akinola, Ferguson, ANG, Bridge, Dieng (on his way), probably a couple more I've forgotten about. Lennon and Ralph could still play a part of course (although I'd rather Lennon left, for his sake and ours).

For me, that is the worry. There are of course merits to having experienced over-30s in the squad, particularly at this level, but they are more likely to miss games through injury. One of the issues in recent years is having a consistent line-up.

The difficulty is the players at the peak of their powers are harder to get hold of, particularly if they're any good.

Good post

I wonder if we may pick up some from loans? and whether thats a good thing or not thinking about our kids. Were Olayinka and Taylor better than what we have> and then again the Spurs kid was not great The loan quotient seems to be up in the National league This will need a tin hat for me but Notts Counties two highest scorers were Wooten with 17 and Rodrigues with 11 aged 25 and 24, ( peeky blinders ) but i see Notts have Rodrigues from Portugal and the 6.5" Sam , forward ( aged 24) from Belgium, I suppose we dont ever look abroad although they wouldnt know of our reputation? :Winking: And County had 4 in on loan

On the other hand if we signed Demi , Holmes and Ogogo we would potentially limit the opportunities for these youngsters and does that build a future as well?

What future does the club have at the moment? A very bleak one if we don't get up out of this division pronto, that's for sure.

I'm a great advocate of long-term planning, of strong links between all age groups of the club, and of putting in place a club ethos and identity - but relegation has changed everything. Short-termism got us here but, rather perversely, a degree of short-termism is probably needed to get us back out of it and into the EFL before the squeeze on finances, youth team funding and parachute payments grows in 18 months' time.

I love a good 5-year plan.....when we're back in the EFL. I don't want a 5-year plan to get out of the National League. We need to get back into the the EFL ASAP, then we can initiate a 5-year strategy. If the professionals on the management/recruitment team feel that the best way to get promoted out of this division is to bring in more experienced personnel with battling and leadership qualities on the playing side, then I'll go with their judgement for now. Sure I would like to see a sprinkling of 25-29 year olds come in too but we have all summer and the loan market to navigate yet. If we get to the end of our transfer business and the average age of the squad is 29 or 30+, then maybe I'll say we have a problem. But who knows, maybe a squad with such an average age will get us back up? And at least these more experienced recruits aren't being given 3-year deals on big wages.

What future does the club have at the moment? A very bleak one if we don't get up out of this division pronto, that's for sure.

I'm a great advocate of long-term planning, of strong links between all age groups of the club, and of putting in place a club ethos and identity - but relegation has changed everything. Short-termism got us here but, rather perversely, a degree of short-termism is probably needed to get us back out of it and into the EFL before the squeeze on finances, youth team funding and parachute payments grows in 18 months' time.

I love a good 5-year plan.....when we're back in the EFL. I don't want a 5-year plan to get out of the National League. We need to get back into the the EFL ASAP, then we can initiate a 5-year strategy. If the professionals on the management/recruitment team feel that the best way to get promoted out of this division is to bring in more experienced personnel with battling and leadership qualities on the playing side, then I'll go with their judgement for now. Sure I would like to see a sprinkling of 25-29 year olds come in too but we have all summer and the loan market to navigate yet. If we get to the end of our transfer business and the average age of the squad is 29 or 30+, then maybe I'll say we have a problem. But who knows, maybe a squad with such an average age will get us back up? And at least these more experienced recruits aren't being given 3-year deals on big wages.
Only thing I would slightly change is that I believe a longer term plan can and should include shorter goals. So if the current goal is to get out of NL within 2 seasons then we should be getting in the relevant experience to do so but built into that is the longer term elements e.g anyone aged 32 or over is only offered 1 year deals so we are not carrying dead wood as we hopefully climb back up.

Only thing I would slightly change is that I believe a longer term plan can and should include shorter goals. So if the current goal is to get out of NL within 2 seasons then we should be getting in the relevant experience to do so but built into that is the longer term elements e.g anyone aged 32 or over is only offered 1 year deals so we are not carrying dead wood as we hopefully climb back up.
This seems like a good idea, the opposition will find it harder to put the ball in the net.

I actually think we're looking at this at the wrong point in time. We don't know what our squad will be during the season. If these older players are replacing older players who will leave then that's fine. If all the youngsters go and we only have older players that could be a problem.

Essentially, right now I totally back Phil Brown. He's got a lot of experience, all at much higher levels than this. He also seems to be a man on a mission, I sense some people at this club are ****ed off and determined to get out of this quickly. Hopefully that determination manifests itself into clear-sighted planning. When Brown was here before he had plans A, B and C.

He knows who is more likely to stay or leave. If he's decided we need some experienced leaders to fill out a squad, I'm willing to back him. Let's not forget that last time he backed Bentley and Leonard, who became established first team players under him. So he can bring through the youngsters too.

I know people think that a lot and ive had the same thought but came to the conclusion that there must be something in it , some com-parables

So out of interest I’ve looked up tons more stuff and continue to do so as I find it interesting
im compiling it all in a Word document but won’t deliver it here as I will just get the usual abuse but useful to hold ready

h
However I can assure you the carry over does apply to other leagues lower down and one study for example of the Scottish lower leagues came to similar conclusions

of course up to you to believe it

what's it on? I assume something to do with age and fitness and going downhill after a certain age/teams need an average age of around 27 to be successful?

Back