• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United keen on former Bristol Rovers midfielder

You have to really admire Sutton, huge congrats to them Not even a full time club, One of the smallest budgets, and low wages , run by volunteers mostly, 3 promotions in no time , set up and maintained their academy some years back, so we should be able to maintain ours
Mix of fresh faces and youth. Won business of the year award, Am I allowed to say young players with huge potential although one is leading scorer on loan from Millwall aged 21 and scoring goals for fun

Hessentaler at Dover offering huge praise for them keeping their squad together and building on it bur especially upfront with pace. getting recruitment right is massive he claimed

Only train 3 days a week, a good blend of youth and experience.
Wrong thread?

Love the look of this signing. I note his wiki photo features the captains armband for Daggers

I think this guy would be a great signing. Strong, skillful and chips in with a few goals.

This is a player most Bristol Rovers fans would have back (the deal would have to be right, short term contact to prove fitness etc). Maybe seen his best days in L1/L2 but could definitely still do a job in the NL I'd say. Another leader, tough tackling, combative, no nonsense. We do need to sign another creative midfielder/winger I'd say, who can lay on goals and is decent at set pieces. The frontmen will need service. That isn't really Ogogo, but on a year's deal? No brainer!

Last edited:
This is a player most Bristol Rovers fans would have back (the deal would have to be right, short term contact to prove fitness etc). Maybe seen his best days in L1/L2 but could definitely still do a job in the NL I'd say. Another leader, tough tackling, combative, no nonsense. We do need to sign another creative midfielder/winger I'd say, who can lay on goals and is decent at set pieces. The frontmen will need service. That isn't really Ogogo, but on a year's deal? No brainer!

With Holmes, Bridge, ANG and Walsh - we're probably covered creativity wise.

Really hoping Holmes in a free 10 role will be a big player for us this season.

Can see us playing 4231. Akinola left, Murphy up top, Holmes in behind with Bridge/Dunne and Ferguson/Agogo alongside

Would love to see Ogogo sign but I have a feeling there will be some L2 clubs in for him. Would likely have to pay over the top to bring him in.

Can see us playing 4231. Akinola left, Murphy up top, Holmes in behind with Bridge/Dunne and Ferguson/Agogo alongside
Yes hopefully Ricky can step it up a tad. Walsh showed flashes of promise but ANG concerns me, as a team player - he seems to run into nowhere a lot of the time and not release early enough.
Overall, our current batch didn't provide end product last season.

Maybe that can all be worked on rather than recruit. There's Egbri too. Possibly even Kinali?

A keeper and a back up to Murphy are higher priority then a creative MF/wideman I guess, but (if he'd even come) Ogogo isn't really creative, more a hard worker, tackler and breaker up of play. So he'd have to be played alongside someone 'more' creative.

Last edited:

I think you are right he has all those attributes , as said a real warrior, although a challenger to Egbri height wise. Another leader and ex captain and by all accounts great character to have in the dressing room

Struggled a bit recently with only 59 appearances i think in past 3 years , due to suspension,injuries and 4 moves over the same period. Suffered a 3 month quad injury and sadly was forced out of Rovers squad at the time because of the new squad sizes rule

A very impressive 3 year spell with Shrewsbury and making 42 appearances in a season alongside a knee injury. 124 appearances in all and 5 goals

The Coventry thing seems odd, signing a 3 year contract, managing only a limited number of games and leaving 6 months later for Bristol Rovers, Wonder what the back story was

Certainly a tigerish customer if fit and flying would be a useful addition

I am beginning to wonder how our Phil will manage all these leaders and team captains if Demi signed as well that would be 7, But Maybe its Phils thing despite rumours of him losing the dressing room last time. Any chance of a fly on the wall documentary ??

Thats if Holmes is even here. Has actually signed to stay?

What is people's obsession with age of players - we won't get promoted with a team of youth players! Looks like a good blend to me of youth and experience (and early 30s is not old now in football terms). For most players the half a yard you may lose in pace is more than made up for in decision making and positioning

What is people's obsession with age of players - we won't get promoted with a team of youth players! Looks like a good blend to me of youth and experience (and early 30s is not old now in football terms). For most players the half a yard you may lose in pace is more than made up for in decision making and positioning

Which to go full circle, comes from experience and playing matches! I definitely agree, I'm all for these experienced players and some of our better youth players around them

I think a little of it comes from research like this......

..Examining 4 European Leagues over 4 years, ...analysis is done for all outfield players, separately by field position. In addition to simple age distribution and bivariate approaches, a player fixed effects model that accounts for potential selection bias is estimated. The results show that the average professional player peaks between the ages of 25 and 27. In the preferred models, the average forward peaks at 25, whereas the typical defender peaks at 27. For midfielders, the estimated peak age varies by model but still occurs in the 25–27 age band. Defenders experience relatively minimal curvature in the age-performance relationship. Further results show that peak age may vary directly with ability.

But personally your point is right about balance and mix, experience and tactical nouse and some older players are exceptional. Equally Bobby Moore was of course exceptional as a young man in all areas especially leadership and look at Ronaldo for the brilliance of ageing The above of course also relates to the more physical characteristics, stamina and speed, ground covered etc and note the last sentence above

You have to really admire Sutton, huge congrats to them Not even a full time club, One of the smallest budgets, and low wages , run by volunteers mostly, 3 promotions in no time , set up and maintained their academy some years back, so we should be able to maintain ours
Mix of fresh faces and youth. Won business of the year award, Am I allowed to say young players with huge potential although one is leading scorer on loan from Millwall aged 21 and scoring goals for fun

Hessentaler at Dover offering huge praise for them keeping their squad together and building on it bur especially upfront with pace. getting recruitment right is massive he claimed

Only train 3 days a week, a good blend of youth and experience.

plastic pitch ??

I think a little of it comes from research like this......

..Examining 4 European Leagues over 4 years, ...analysis is done for all outfield players, separately by field position. In addition to simple age distribution and bivariate approaches, a player fixed effects model that accounts for potential selection bias is estimated. The results show that the average professional player peaks between the ages of 25 and 27. In the preferred models, the average forward peaks at 25, whereas the typical defender peaks at 27. For midfielders, the estimated peak age varies by model but still occurs in the 25–27 age band. Defenders experience relatively minimal curvature in the age-performance relationship. Further results show that peak age may vary directly with ability.

But personally your point is right about balance and mix, experience and tactical nouse and some older players are exceptional. Equally Bobby Moore was of course exceptional as a young man in all areas especially leadership and look at Ronaldo for the brilliance of ageing The above of course also relates to the more physical characteristics, stamina and speed, ground covered etc and note the last sentence above
I honestly think top level football is a different game to what we play in, so there's a limit to the applicability of analysis of what is effectively a different sport

I honestly think top level football is a different game to what we play in, so there's a limit to the applicability of analysis of what is effectively a different sport

I know people think that a lot and ive had the same thought but came to the conclusion that there must be something in it , some com-parables

So out of interest I’ve looked up tons more stuff and continue to do so as I find it interesting
im compiling it all in a Word document but won’t deliver it here as I will just get the usual abuse but useful to hold ready

h
However I can assure you the carry over does apply to other leagues lower down and one study for example of the Scottish lower leagues came to similar conclusions

of course up to you to believe it

I know people think that a lot and ive had the same thought but came to the conclusion that there must be something in it , some com-parables

So out of interest I’ve looked up tons more stuff and continue to do so as I find it interesting
im compiling it all in a Word document but won’t deliver it here as I will just get the usual abuse but useful to hold ready

h
However I can assure you the carry over does apply to other leagues lower down and one study for example of the Scottish lower leagues came to similar conclusions

of course up to you to believe it

I would be genuinely interested to see your research in relation to the lower leagues.

Interestingly the mean average of our squad age will probably be around the 27 figure I would guess although we will probably have few players in the 25-27 bracket.

Back