• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United keen to sign Rene Howe

I will save many posters on here the trouble of posting, he is ***t, lazy, fat and will cost too much in wages, what a C**t, Brown should hang for attempting to sign him, I am boycotting games until Howe and Brown have been stoned to death in the centre circle, wheres the collymore/eastwood money gone.

I saw him play for us on trial at Eastbourne a yeards ago and I thought he was overweight and crap but his record is decent at this level. Not really convinced that forwards are what we need to be honest but I bow to Browns judgement.

I don't know about the wisdom, or otherwise, of signing Rene Howe. What does concern me is that this man Brown appears to be on a single-handed mission to destroy our close-season entertainment on SZ. Last year we would have had an obscure reference regarding our wish to sign a striker who 'played in League One last season'.........then the fun would begin. Pages and pages of 'wild guesses'......informed calculations from impeccable sauces. What else is there to do on here in the summer, apart from waiting for the next winding up order or speculating on who we may sign? WHO wants to know our targets before we've even bloody signed them.........it's just not cricket.

JS Disgusted (Tunbridge Wells) Saint Gaudens

We are interested in everyone- in a way even more of a smokescreen than being interested in no one
Tbh I think the only ones so far that has real legs are Fagan and Grant- but far from certain as dependent on wages and no offers from other attractive L1 clubs coming in

Howe we might be along with a few others buying think there are more we don't know about and they are the real targets. Meanwhile all the others keep us off the scent

Ill take Rene Howe over Akinfenwa. Big lad but still has some means of athleticism. Would be great if we could keep Tomlin and partner these two together.....

Had a good couple of seasons in League 2, but has a poor discipline record. Got more yellow cards in the last 2 seasons than Mohsni has with us over 2 and a bit seasons.

If we keep Tomlin, I don't think our main priority should be strikers. Midfield and defence first.

Yep 15 yellows last season ,13 and 2 reds the season before. Something tells me you wouldnt want to spill a pint over him in your local.

Is our interest in Howe as a way of replacing corr? Because there is all this talk of strikers when our priorities are other positions and corr still hasn't signed a new deal

Is our interest in Howe as a way of replacing corr? Because there is all this talk of strikers when our priorities are other positions and corr still hasn't signed a new deal

We have an option in our favour with Corr I understand. We have offered him a new contract, but even if he doesn't sign that he'll be here next year.

Whilst I wouldn't necessarily be against us signing Howe, Brown's transfer policy to date is cause for concern in my opinion. Sturrock was ousted early so that Brown could be afforded the chance to make decisions regarding the state of the squad and what was needed as soon as the final whistle blew. It's been painfully obvious since January that we've lacked cover in central midfield, and with Spillane's release and Mkandawire's departure, that weakness has only been exacerbated. So far, the only central midfielder Brown's named has been Anthony Grant; a fairly ambitious target considering his expected wage and the fact he played 40+ games for Stevenage last year. I'd expect Grant to sign for a L1 club, and I'd expect him to be very disappointed if we were the best he could do.

The other players Brown's targeted - Dawson, Fagan and Howe - will all come with similar wage expectations. I worry that, if we sign those three players and other departures aren't forthcoming, we're not leaving ourselves with much room in the wage budget to tempt the requisite quality in central midfield. Take Dawson for example... Is he really a priority? Whilst we may need a little extra quality at LB, we've already Barker, Prosser and Straker capable of playing in that position. Unless one or more of them leaves, bringing Dawson in ahead of central midfielders doesn't fill me with the greatest excitement.

Back