• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United legend Steve Tilson keen to return to Roots Hall

I'd be happy to see ST back at the club in some capacity. Not as first team boss but as assistant manager, director of football or working on the corporate side.

We need more legends at this club.

Sometimes it works as sometimes it doesn't.

Tilly is a one club man. Powell played loads of times for lots of clubs. Tilly worked miracles and had lots of success at SUFC and was betrayed by our beloved chairman.

Powell was backed and didn't deliver.

I don't think Tilly would work as boss but as a number two or one of the coaching staff it would be great to see him back

Not sure about this as believe Tilly has had his time at the club.However as a shoulder for Adam and Kevin to sound off would be helpfull.Their is no doubt Tilly bleeds SUFC so fits Ron's wish list

I would be more than happy to see Tilly back. Perhaps as assistant to either Craig Fagan or Kevin Maher

Certainly a far cheaper package than the previous management set up and one far more likely to get the Club back on track.

I'd be happy to see ST back at the club in some capacity. Not as first team boss but as assistant manager, director of football or working on the corporate side.

We need more legends at this club.
Tilly found a bloke called Freddy Eastwood.
Take him away, would it have looked so good?

Tilly found a bloke called Freddy Eastwood.
Take him away, would it have looked so good?

Of course it wouldn't, but every successful side has that one player who takes all the limelight and who is capable of producing that one special moment that will secure the 3 points.
Tilly built up a fantastic side around Eastwood who all played their part in allowing Freddy to do his thing. That's not an easy thing to do and shouldn't be forgotten.

All players are recommended by someone. I don't get the logic of this.

Shows a good networking level then IMO, I liked the way Tilly built his squads , combo of grafters and some very good ball players in there too .

We could do a lot worse

it would fix the balance of karma ..

I am announcing the end of my grieving period for Sol and leading the campaign to restore Steve Tilson ..

RON !!! its got to be Tilson and Tony Colbert doing the fitness

here here, i agree....tillly manager and barrett assistant...or other way round...would make a pefick couple... been saying it a long time..bring back tilly... he knows league 2 and is a good man manager... he will bring on the youngsters and bring in a couple big centre backs...do it Ron!

Director of football, perfect role for him.
Whisper it quietly, but I don't think Tilly achieved his success with us because he instilled a philosophy about how we should play and recruit? I really don't see him as a DoF, he typifies a Head Coach. Tilly's success came from being able to man manage a squad with some quite big personalities and recruited pretty well. He was lucky to an extent that he inherited a squad with some real quality in it (Gower, Maher, Bentley etc) and was able to add well to that as he instilled a great attitude and ethos at the club. The issue for Tilly was that when things were going badly and players became unsettled that he didn't have a process or strategy to hold on to, we were playing weird formations and signing players that weren't working. He was massively let down by the Chairman, and hamstrung by our finances, but I don't look back at the Tilly era and thing that he set the foundations for success in the club, that's more down to Ricky Duncan and his youth development. Tilly was the perfect head coach. Also the fact that Tilly hasn't really continued in the professional game as a manager or coach is somewhat of an issue, although I don't really know all the reasons why.

Back