• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United legend Steve Tilson keen to return to Roots Hall

Reads to me that Tilly is primarily looking to be AB's number 2- AB can't issue a come and get me direct but Tilly encouraging Ron to make a formal approach. If that's where Tilly thinks the route back is, its difficult to believe he doesn't talk to AB, therefore equally difficult to believe AB isn't open to an appropriate approach and discussion. That's how it clearly reads to me.

Last edited:
Also the fact that Tilly hasn't really continued in the professional game as a manager or coach is somewhat of an issue, although I don't really know all the reasons why.

Relegations with us, then taking a team down to the conference must completely destroy your rep, and probably your confidence. In another reality somewhere paul brush wasnt no.2 i imagine we wouldnt have done as well.

I still think he has a lot in him tho, but as a no.2 not a no.1 and probably only for southend.

Relegations with us, then taking a team down to the conference must completely destroy your rep, and probably your confidence. In another reality somewhere paul brush wasnt no.2 i imagine we wouldnt have done as well.

I still think he has a lot in him tho, but as a no.2 not a no.1 and probably only for southend.

Relegation from the championship was almost inevitable with us. Our budget was vastly inferior to almost everyone in that league and we still made a good go of it until the last 10 or so games when we just fell apart.

The following season the clubs finances were decimated due having a huge wage bill and long term contracts. Players we sold/released and the quality was lost. We still made the play offs, but failure to go straight back up left the club financially crippled.

Ron then stopped paying the players wages and expected Tilly to manager with his hands behind his back. Obviously he couldn't and we went into free fall. Finishing that season relegated and starting the next with a squad cobbled together.

Tilly made plenty of mistakes and could have done things differently but we would never have been relegated to league 2 if Ronald had balanced the books properly and not alienated the whole bloody team.

Relegation from the championship was almost inevitable with us. Our budget was vastly inferior to almost everyone in that league and we still made a good go of it until the last 10 or so games when we just fell apart.

The following season the clubs finances were decimated due having a huge wage bill and long term contracts. Players we sold/released and the quality was lost. We still made the play offs, but failure to go straight back up left the club financially crippled.

Ron then stopped paying the players wages and expected Tilly to manager with his hands behind his back. Obviously he couldn't and we went into free fall. Finishing that season relegated and starting the next with a squad cobbled together.

Tilly made plenty of mistakes and could have done things differently but we would never have been relegated to league 2 if Ronald had balanced the books properly and not alienated the whole bloody team.
Oh I totally agree with circumstances beyond his control. But on paper for a prospective employer it looks bad

Really?

As it happens I wasn't a fan of Bramble's and was quite excited at seeing a new-un try his luck.

I remember watching this new kid strut around with a sort of arrogance in the warm up to the Swansea match and I thought to myself "this guy is going to be useless"

Good job I'm just a fan in the stand and not anywhere near the recruitment or scouting side of a football club, took all of 7 seconds to prove me wrong.

here here, i agree....tillly manager and barrett assistant...or other way round...would make a pefick couple... been saying it a long time..bring back tilly... he knows league 2 and is a good man manager... he will bring on the youngsters and bring in a couple big centre backs...do it Ron!

Definitely a good man manager.....unlike Sol and the history teacher!

Dont be silly, bring back Tilly!
cant do any worse than the guys we have had last couple years... come on..ive been coming to roots for 45 years and in that time ..you get to know the better lower league managers as thats where we spend 90% of our time and tilly tops most! ok

Bring tilly back! He got us from league 2 to the championship! Best manager we have had and will bring a feel good factor back to our club!! Managers who do well at one particular club normally get a second chance to comeback!! This is tillys time.

Back