• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United letter: Stop the negativity and lets get 40 points

I am sure I was at Southend High School at the same time as someone with the same name as this person in the Echo back in the early sixties so I doubt either of us will be around in 25 years time!
You must have been at Southend High School sametime as my brother Paul if you was there early 60s

We all know it’s impossible, but wow what a story it would be if we did pull it off. We would be talking about “the great escape” and that huge winning run for years and how we all knew they weren’t really a bad team ?

Oh to dream

Except actually the point is it’s not “impossible”- literally- the best (or worst) you can say factually is is that it’s somewhere between very unlikely and a vanishingly small possibility..

I don't think the negativity needs to stop on forums and social media but would be nice if we could keep it positive in the stands now.

We all know the outcome of this season so let's just go out and enjoy the cr*p being served to us.

We’ve managed a whopping 10 points from a possible 75 so far this season. And this bloke thinks we’re somehow going to get 30 from a possible 57? In absolute dreamland if he thinks that’s possible.
If you read it, it is worse than that. He is talking about a FURTHER 40 points from 19 games. Admittedly we wouldn't need that many to stay up (probably 35 more points would do), but I am struggling to see where our next win is coming from.

A few years ago there was a Southend Tory councillor called Grant Littler. He was full of hot air I remember. Could this be one and the same.

My advice would be for him to go back to playing hockey. Clearly the team has been on a downward spiral since he started supporting them, so it’s his fault.

40 points from 57 is insane. Nobody in league one is close to that Mark this season. 2.1 points per game. Rotherham and Wycombe have 1.76

i would be happy if we at least picked up another 10 to be honest as that would be an improvement.

Except actually the point is it’s not “impossible”- literally- the best (or worst) you can say factually is is that it’s somewhere between very unlikely and a vanishingly small possibility..
Thanks for stating the obvious- we all knew what I meant.
It’s also not impossible that the reason we stay up is Southend are going to sign me up at 51 years old and I will go on to score 30 goals this season.
Ps- I just googled the definition of “impossible “- southend staying up “ was the first example ?

The players, past and present, are aware of the feelings of hostility and negativity towards them. Does that make them better players? Does it make them play better while in a Southend shirt? Does that make them want to like and appreciate the supporters? Does that make them play better when they return and play for the opposition (maybe that is why so many score against Southend)? What are the positives from a negative, toxic and abusive atmosphere on this site and in the ground?

I'd say the majority of SUFC fans have been very patient and very positive, considering. Of course there are always a few tw*ts and I'm not denying that, I'm talking about the vast majority. The fact we are still pushing 6k for home games despite not seeing a league win this season is pretty awesome if you ask me. We haven't really been given much to cheer about.

Fan for 5 years? Lets see how glass half full he is after another 25....

I find that level of blind optimism quite annoying tbh.
Its not negativity its reality, moods swing with the fortunes of the club on and off the pitch.

We all still turn up, tune in and log on no matter what because we will never stop supporting our team. The least that team can do is entertain us and look like they give a toss . They are getting paid to do so. You cant look at our season and see it as anything other then a total disaster. Being chripy and positive about it is slightly insane.

5 years!!! I spit in his general direction. Unless you've suffered this annoying yo yo for a least a few more decades you ain't getting my attention. You are no way hurting enough yet mate... but it will come, etched on your face like a tattoo off Southend Pier.

A few years ago there was a Southend Tory councillor called Grant Littler. He was full of hot air I remember. Could this be one and the same.

Grant Roger Mainwaring Littler ?

Who do you think you're kidding, Mr Littler ?

The players, past and present, are aware of the feelings of hostility and negativity towards them. Does that make them better players? Does it make them play better while in a Southend shirt? Does that make them want to like and appreciate the supporters? Does that make them play better when they return and play for the opposition (maybe that is why so many score against Southend)? What are the positives from a negative, toxic and abusive atmosphere on this site and in the ground?

These players got run over by Orient’s reserves.

These players got banged 7-1 at home to an average Doncaster team.

These players were dumped out of the F.A. Cup, by an average non-league team.

These players shipped 101 goals in the last calendar year.

Have we boycotted?

Have we rioted?

Have we ****.

Imagine this **** going on, somewhere like The Den.

They can feel the negativity, can they? Boohoo.

They need to feel the pressure of being unemployed. That may well be the rocket up the jacksy they need, never mind fans holding hands and sending well-wishes.

Dont do a job in the public eye if you cant take criticism. These same players would gladly lap up the adulation if they were winning and accept there undeserved inflated pay cheques.

Youve got to win games or your no good to anyone in this game.

I agree that some players get unduly picked on but they have to rise above it.
Like maher, franno, gower did off the top of my head.

Last edited:

It is indeed the very same Grant Littler. He was at SHSB in the late 50s-60s. Was in the House of Troy, School Prefect and played hockey for the School. Didn't appear to show any interest in football during the time I was there.

Back