• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United midfielder Timothee Dieng handed two match ban for 'misleading referee'

What I don't understand is surely the ref saw exactly what happened, in order to award the penalty, so he must of known where the contract on Dieng happened!

Agree, ref had a very clear view of it as well, no players in the way. Diengs reaction shouldn't have influenced the ref.

Agree, ref had a very clear view of it as well, no players in the way. Diengs reaction shouldn't have influenced the ref.
A good point.
Do we know that the pen wouldn't have been awarded anyway, and that the 'violent conduct' was the reason for the red card?
The ref's half second take on things was wrong, but looking at the replay again, he's actually looking to the corner where the ball has gone, and catches the push out the corner of his eye.

A good point.
Do we know that the pen wouldn't have been awarded anyway, and that the 'violent conduct' was the reason for the red card?
The ref's half second take on things was wrong, but looking at the replay again, he's actually looking to the corner where the ball has gone, and catches the push out the corner of his eye.

I don't think the penalty decision is in question. The red card was overturned. Dieng was done for cheating which resulted in a red card. I guess we'd need to see the Ref's match report - are these publically available? If not the FA really should making these available online - great way to increase transparency

Millisecond for what? The push didn't take a millisecond and there is no reason for the ref to make an instant decision. He can easily talk to his linesman.

What was he protecting him from? He didn't send him off because he thought he was going to do it again, he sent him off because he thought (wrongly) that Dieng got hit in the face.

My problem isn't with Dieng being punished for faking a face injury, but the fact this happens so often in every league. A player gets a slight touch in the face, neck, or shoulder region and they fall to the floor screaming. The only difference is that this player got sent off because of it.

Remember the 2002 World Cup? Rivaldo gets a ball kicked at his thigh and goes down holding his face, no ban or fine. I don't remember (maybe it has happened, maybe not) when a player has been banned for faking a hit to the face. So why now?

Where is your evidence that the ref sent off the Scunny player because he thought he had hit Dieng in the face?

The Scunny used two hands to push Dieng in the chest causing Dieng to fall to the floor. Raising your hands to an opponent is violent conduct and a red card offence in its own right

Where is your evidence that the ref sent off the Scunny player because he thought he had hit Dieng in the face?

The Scunny used two hands to push Dieng in the chest causing Dieng to fall to the floor. Raising your hands to an opponent is violent conduct and a red card offence in its own right

I don't, but I assumed that because the red card was overturned it had something to do with Dieng holding his face.

Last year, Scunthorpe also had a player sent off for pushing someone in the chest. Was the red card also overturned? Sure was. Was the player who got pushed later banned? Nope.

I don't, but I assumed that because the red card was overturned it had something to do with Dieng holding his face.

Last year, Scunthorpe also had a player sent off for pushing someone in the chest. Was the red card also overturned? Sure was. Was the player who got pushed later banned? Nope.

Odd that 2 reds cards for shoving a player over with 2 hands on a chest get rescinded yet Paolo Di Canio goes a 7 game ban for doing the same to a referee.

Double standards

Different law for Mo Salah then I’m guessing?
Different circumstances for sure.
Mo the Diver got it in the neck for going down too easily and winning penalties, but note the words: 'too easily'
It suggests there was contact with an opponent and thus a grey area.
Had he been pushed in the chest and gone down holding his face? Now, that would have been a comparison.

Different circumstances for sure.
Mo the Diver got it in the neck for going down too easily and winning penalties, but note the words: 'too easily'
It suggests there was contact with an opponent and thus a grey area.
Had he been pushed in the chest and gone down holding his face? Now, that would have been a comparison.

I've seen plenty of Premiership players go down holding their heads, when replays clearly show no contact with the head at all. However because refs can use VAR it's ignored.

However, taking these examples into account, shouldn't said player then be sent off (or at least cautioned) for trying to con the referee?

I've seen plenty of Premiership players go down holding their heads, when replays clearly show no contact with the head at all. However because refs can use VAR it's ignored.

However, taking these examples into account, shouldn't said player then be sent off (or at least cautioned) for trying to con the referee?
Plenty?
Must have missed that. Any recent specific examples one can see online?

Back