• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United midfielder Timothee Dieng handed two match ban for 'misleading referee'

Well Hart certainly wasn't off his feet or out of control. So assume the referee felt it was dangerously aggressive. Which the way football is these days is not a very high bar. Some refs would have given a yellow but this was one that likes getting the cards out anyway. Difficult to say the decision was a bad one in todays game. What Norman Hunter would have made of it all is another question..
Interesting that last comment.
I hated everything to do with that Leeds/Liverpool/Arsenal 'hardman' era.
It was a reason why sides like Ajax and Bayern plundered in Europe, because our intent was to kick someone up in the air.
Hunter, Storey and Smith were dressed-up thugs with a modicum of skill.
No wonder we failed to make the 1974 World Cup.

Hmmm...
not so sure about that.
Are you saying that in a millisecond he should have made the correct decision.
The spirit of his action was to support Dieng, remember?
Who is really at fault here?

Millisecond for what? The push didn't take a millisecond and there is no reason for the ref to make an instant decision. He can easily talk to his linesman.

What was he protecting him from? He didn't send him off because he thought he was going to do it again, he sent him off because he thought (wrongly) that Dieng got hit in the face.

My problem isn't with Dieng being punished for faking a face injury, but the fact this happens so often in every league. A player gets a slight touch in the face, neck, or shoulder region and they fall to the floor screaming. The only difference is that this player got sent off because of it.

Remember the 2002 World Cup? Rivaldo gets a ball kicked at his thigh and goes down holding his face, no ban or fine. I don't remember (maybe it has happened, maybe not) when a player has been banned for faking a hit to the face. So why now?

Interesting that last comment.
I hated everything to do with that Leeds/Liverpool/Arsenal 'hardman' era.
It was a reason why sides like Ajax and Bayern plundered in Europe, because our intent was to kick someone up in the air.
Hunter, Storey and Smith were dressed-up thugs with a modicum of skill.
No wonder we failed to make the 1974 World Cup.

Can't argue too much with your post , but I once played in a friendly with Peter Storey and what shone through brightly was how skilful he was and how comfortable on the ball.
It just goes to show that at 'pro-level' he was thought of as quite limited ( although decent in the dark arts as you mention ) , but against joe public he was actually Messi-like.

Millisecond for what? The push didn't take a millisecond and there is no reason for the ref to make an instant decision. He can easily talk to his linesman.

What was he protecting him from? He didn't send him off because he thought he was going to do it again, he sent him off because he thought (wrongly) that Dieng got hit in the face.

My problem isn't with Dieng being punished for faking a face injury, but the fact this happens so often in every league. A player gets a slight touch in the face, neck, or shoulder region and they fall to the floor screaming. The only difference is that this player got sent off because of it.

Remember the 2002 World Cup? Rivaldo gets a ball kicked at his thigh and goes down holding his face, no ban or fine. I don't remember (maybe it has happened, maybe not) when a player has been banned for faking a hit to the face. So why now?
'Now' is relative, if you check the law.
It's quoted elsewhere that an incident like this leading to penalty is punishable with a ban.
I do remember that shameful Rivaldo incident, and others like it, and had VAR been in evidence back then, it would have been Rivaldo copping it.
I'm sorry for being slow, but I'm not sure about who's protecting who in the second paragraph?

This feels like when Freddy Eastwood appealed a red card years ago and ended up being the first player to be given an extra game ban for a frivolous appeal.

Not sure it's a good idea to appeal Dieng's ban. The FA don't like us so would love to extend the ban for a frivolous appeal.
The FA cannot be expected to be fair minded and impartial but the panel might be.
MM is clear Dieng was pushed in the chest and hit his head on the turf- he already had a head injury, hence the big big bandage all around his head (maybe we should have painted big arrows on it in felt tip), prominent for all including an FA panel to see. So if we have video showing pushed to the ground, and his head coming into contact with the ground then it should be overturned (again).

By even the FA standards getting two bans overturned relating to this same incident, the second issues after the first was itself overturned, would be a remarkable achievement.

As with the Hart incident the Club has the advantage of slow motion replays of what occurred. We don't. Nor did the referee. In theory this means the FA have the opportunity to introduce the concept of fairness and reflection into the process...

"As with the Hart incident the Club has the advantage of slow motion replays of what occurred. We don't."

We can watch it on youtube at 0.25 speed though.

Rescinding the Scunthorpe player's red card should have been enough. It has felt for some time like the authorities are itching to put the boot in to us. As others have said, I'm no supporter of Dieng's actions, but this goes on in every match across the country now sadly, but I've never seen a retrospective suspension applied.

The FA cannot be expected to be fair minded and impartial but the panel might be.
MM is clear Dieng was pushed in the chest and hit his head on the turf- he already had a head injury, hence the big big bandage all around his head (maybe we should have painted big arrows on it in felt tip), prominent for all including an FA panel to see. So if we have video showing pushed to the ground, and his head coming into contact with the ground then it should be overturned (again).

By even the FA standards getting two bans overturned relating to this same incident, the second issues after the first was itself overturned, would be a remarkable achievement.

As with the Hart incident the Club has the advantage of slow motion replays of what occurred. We don't. Nor did the referee. In theory this means the FA have the opportunity to introduce the concept of fairness and reflection into the process...

Well, I've just watched the extended highlights of the incident and in no way does any part of Dieng's head "hit the ground" when he falls. And he then clutches his FACE, not his head. He has clearly simulated the injury, IMO.

That being said, is there a law/rule/precedent to ban a play in this manner? Or are we the first?

Well, I've just watched the extended highlights of the incident and in no way does any part of Dieng's head "hit the ground" when he falls. And he then clutches his FACE, not his head. He has clearly simulated the injury, IMO.

That being said, is there a law/rule/precedent to ban a play in this manner? Or are we the first?

I can't stand all these antics from pro players. We're not alone, though. they're all doing it. I thought it was a clear red, and it was right in front of the ref, so I didn't see the need for all the amateur dramatics, anyway.

Try pushing a police officer over with a two handed shove and see if your lawyer successfully uses the Neymar defence.

Try pushing a police officer over with a two handed shove and see if your lawyer successfully uses the Neymar defence.

I'm not condoning the two-handed shove on Dieng - which I thought was classed as violent conduct in the FA Laws of the Game and, therefore, punishable by red card & a direct free kick (ie, penalty in this situation) - but there is nothing I can see in the video of the incident that suggests anything other than simulation of an injury.

This feels like when Freddy Eastwood appealed a red card years ago and ended up being the first player to be given an extra game ban for a frivolous appeal.

I'm fairly certain that Freddys push was almost EXACTLY the same as what the Scunny bloke did.
Would love to see the clips and compare.
Both were appealed.
Freddy got an extra ban ( 4 matches?) , whilst the Scunny guy gets zero.
This proves beyond doubt the EFL hate us ( or maybe just anything to do with Ron Martin ) & how ridiculously inconsistent these idiots in charge are.

Back