• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United miss out on striking target

We can't compete with what Wrexham can offer. Need to lower our sights a little, I fear......

Losing out on transfers is a grave, grave concern. Hyde may be the difference between going up or not next season, we'll live to regret this I feel.

Losing out to Wrexham is not that awful. They've just been taken over by a pair of multi-millionaires on a mission, they are the current NL glamour club, plus they are a similar sized club to ourselves with a nicer stadium & similar fan base.

Now losing out to Weymouth, that was a different matter..

SOUTHEND United have missed out on a move for striker Jake Hyde.

Read more on this story

Help with Echo links
It is easy to be wise after the event. But it would seem from what Halifax fans have said that Southend ("the southerners") were reluctant to even get close to Halifax's valuation of Jake Hyde and the protracted discussions gave Wrexham the chance to step in and pay what was required for the player.

There are plenty of better players than Hyde, like Michael Cheek from Bromley, he would be keener to join us, as he is local, know where the goals is, better record than Hyde.

It is easy to be wise after the event. But it would seem from what Halifax fans have said that Southend ("the southerners") were reluctant to even get close to Halifax's valuation of Jake Hyde and the protracted discussions gave Wrexham the chance to step in and pay what was required for the player.
Not surprised at all.

No way we would give him more than a two year contract and we would have to assume we wouldn't be selling him on.

So if Halifax wanted even say £80k thats about £800 pw on top of his wages. Or we could take what we offered him wages, add the £800, and get someone else on a higher wage who might be better.

It's a balancing act and that £800 pw makes a big difference on who you might get at NL/L2 wages?

Not surprised at all.

No way we would give him more than a two year contract and we would have to assume we wouldn't be selling him on.

So if Halifax wanted even say £80k thats about £800 pw on top of his wages. Or we could take what we offered him wages, add the £800, and get someone else on a higher wage who might be better.

It's a balancing act and that £800 pw makes a big difference on who you might get at NL/L2 wages?

I wouldn't say his record and his age were a good foundation to offer what you're saying could have possibly been offered.

Like you say, maybe there is someone out there who is better for a similar amount or for less money.

I've said it many times on other threads. Akinola got more goals than him at this level the last time he was in the NL. If we are going to push the boat out, surely it needs to be for someone that can boast better stats than Akinola at this level.

I wouldn't say his record and his age were a good foundation to offer what you're saying could have possibly been offered.

Like you say, maybe there is someone out there who is better for a similar amount or for less money.

I've said it many times on other threads. Akinola got more goals than him at this level the last time he was in the NL. If we are going to push the boat out, surely it needs to be for someone that can boast better stats than Akinola at this level.
Yes- Hyde in and letting Akinola go would not be an obvious step forward- we dont know what Akinola is on of course and if we could attract a fee. So many moving parts with the need to keep within a budget-something that might requires outs to fund ins. I suspect Akinola will stay.

Back