• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United receive apology after having goal incorrectly disallowed against Wrexham

Though the decision has now been confirmed as incorrect, we don't know whether it has cost us points. Being 1-0 down, could have sparked Wrexham, and if they had equalised, they could have been on the front foot and then won it!!

I'm looking on the bright side :)

Pressure on refs from players and fans sadly seems part of the game these days and the Wrexham players' protests clearly did the trick, they're clearly savvy to it as other teams have been.

Our players should've been absolutely fuming .. were they? Also we as fans need to make Roots Hall an intimidating place to visit for opposition teams ..that's all 3 stands not just the West .. abusing the ref in this case won't achieve a damn thing as it's too late - (wrong) decision made - let's just remember next time a decision doesn't go our way and make our point very loudly at the time!

Wrexham should have two points deducted as punishment for bullying the officials if we can't have our points. Football league sham!

The point really is that the apology is one thing (don't double down defending the indefensible and make it worse). In reality that all they can do publicly.

The real key thing is what we don't see and hope happens. That the incident is used in clear unambiguous terms to educate the officials in question and other officials- the point is to make it less likely others suffer the same fate. As has been said it not the mistake its the way it came about and the optics of the way it came about that brings the game into disrepute....if they were serious they would now give Wrexham a charge for their contribution surrounding and pressuring the officials. Fear of Mr. Reynolds Twitter feed might mean the league making the same mistake as the officials...

I agree with lots of comments on here....we arent very good at getting the refs face. For most of the game it should be the captain constantly talking to the ref with any larger than life **** ups reinforced by other players. Its not about condoning the actions, its about competing for the refs decision making. ITs part of the problem of having a young inexperienced team or a captain thats not overly verbal. Believe it or not, I know for a fact that quite often in games the verbal banter between an experienced captain and the ref often also includes a bit of a laugh about how the games going or admissions from both that they may be ehaving a bit of a 'mare'. Being in the face of the ref the whole game does not always mean berating and petulism. Sometimes its an experienced way of gaining the refs decisions when it matters. I appreciate there are other times when the ref is so bad, that its constant moaning, but this is generally equalled by the other teams similar protests.

Wrexham were drilled in it. I think it was that low down chance in the first half when Colin covered his left post. Their hands all went up in a similar fashion to claim a corner. The con didn't work but eventually that sort of pressure was rewarded.

The problem with Demi is he is not very good at it. Rather than angry yellow outbursts you need to convince the ref he is missing obvious fouls on our number 9 etc.

We had a corner late on from our left. Watch their player molest Ralph at the near post. He continued long after the ball went over them and into the second phase. If you tell the ref before then a loud reminder as the ball is on its way I find it improves their vision.
It is a standard Parky team play, his sides have always done it, same as the way he struts around the coaching area. A hole

Pressure on refs from players and fans sadly seems part of the game these days and the Wrexham players' protests clearly did the trick, they're clearly savvy to it as other teams have been.

Our players should've been absolutely fuming .. were they? Also we as fans need to make Roots Hall an intimidating place to visit for opposition teams ..that's all 3 stands not just the West .. abusing the ref in this case won't achieve a damn thing as it's too late - (wrong) decision made - let's just remember next time a decision doesn't go our way and make our point very loudly at the time!
As said in #37, Hyde ran across towards the east to celebrate.
The real action was on the other side with the officials and Wrexham players.
By the time, ours realised the goal had been chalked off it was too late.
On top of which, the ref had clearly had enough by then, so yellow cards all round to go with the one shown Palmer.
It might have been interesting had both sets of players been on the same side of the pitch.

I agree with lots of comments on here....we arent very good at getting the refs face. For most of the game it should be the captain constantly talking to the ref with any larger than life **** ups reinforced by other players. Its not about condoning the actions, its about competing for the refs decision making. ITs part of the problem of having a young inexperienced team or a captain thats not overly verbal. Believe it or not, I know for a fact that quite often in games the verbal banter between an experienced captain and the ref often also includes a bit of a laugh about how the games going or admissions from both that they may be ehaving a bit of a 'mare'. Being in the face of the ref the whole game does not always mean berating and petulism. Sometimes its an experienced way of gaining the refs decisions when it matters. I appreciate there are other times when the ref is so bad, that its constant moaning, but this is generally equalled by the other teams similar protests.
Very good.
I don't like it, but it seems de rigueur in the modern game, as long as it's not Demi.
There's no light and shade where he's concerned.

Very good.
I don't like it, but it seems de rigueur in the modern game, as long as it's not Demi.
There's no light and shade where he's concerned.
I know your dislike for his approach which I can understand. Sometimes over keen on ear bashing which can appear petulant but definitely no lack of passion or good intent.
Just want others to take the better bits of his approach and use it

So they admit they made a mistake in not awarding the goal,which is good they admit the error but the referees are still making major errors and dont seem to learn from their mistakes.
Referees have always made mistakes, just now we have 300 different angles and slow mo on TV to highlight

Easy solution if your team scores and its a tight decision its a goal

I blame their players more than the hopeless ref.

Too many times it’s happening now, other teams protesting every decision, diving in the box, feigning injury, wasting time in the 60th minute when they’re a goal up I’ve seen it far too many times in the last few seasons. We get rolled over every time.

We’re too nice. It has to stop!

Maybe we just need to start cheating like the other scumbag teams in this division.

Referees have always made mistakes, just now we have 300 different angles and slow mo on TV to highlight

Easy solution if your team scores and its a tight decision its a goal
If there’s a huge degree of doubt even between officials then let the decision stand, yes. There’s no way the ref or the lino here were anywhere near sure so protests from Wrexham should’ve been waved away.

In a normal game the official has his 5 minutes of fame and that is it; and mistakes may be on sport channels etc BUT the Wrexham TV circus brings a whole lot more. IF the ref blunders and it costs Wrexham he could get notoriety among a whole wider audience, globally, repeated and named by "famous" actors etc. However if he gives a dodgy decision pro Wrexham then that will be largely overlooked and airbrushed from the hollywood success filming of a gallant point at former league humblers of Manure etc.

Of course, this isn’t the first time we’ve had an “apology” from officials after the game for their mistakes. I can recall it happening on more than one occasion under both Tilson and PB the first time around.

In a normal game the official has his 5 minutes of fame and that is it; and mistakes may be on sport channels etc BUT the Wrexham TV circus brings a whole lot more. IF the ref blunders and it costs Wrexham he could get notoriety among a whole wider audience, globally, repeated and named by "famous" actors etc. However if he gives a dodgy decision pro Wrexham then that will be largely overlooked and airbrushed from the hollywood success filming of a gallant point at former league humblers of Manure etc.
It does amuse me to think anyone reading Ryan Reynolds' twitter feed would give a flying stuff about a ref's decision in a NL game .. maybe a few Wrexham fans ..

Back