• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United receive apology after having goal incorrectly disallowed against Wrexham

The lesson for any local young player is to never accept a refs decision. They will change their mind if you whinge loud enough or your angry dad threatens them with violence. Tell your loud mouth mother to up the volume because you have seen it works on the telly.

If we we fought our way up to play off ( or better) contention and Wrexham pipped us by a couple of points that would be interesting eh NL? 😩

The lesson for any local young player is to never accept a refs decision. They will change their mind if you whinge loud enough or your angry dad threatens them with violence. Tell your loud mouth mother to up the volume because you have seen it works on the telly.
Many fans moaned about Demi doing this but since he hasn't been in the team, not one player has done it. Fine balance I know, but you definitely need someone in there that will fight those kind of battles.

Dunno if it applies to this league but if a club err's on financial indiscretions by deducting points why don't they have the cajones to right this obvious wrong and amend the points gained/lost accordingly ? Would even put them in a better light for correcting such foul-up's.....

Dunno if it applies to this league but if a club err's on financial indiscretions by deducting points why don't they have the cajones to right this obvious wrong and amend the points gained/lost accordingly ? Would even put them in a better light for correcting such foul-up's.....

Wrexham could have equalised or won 2-1. If the goal was given we would have seen a completely different lsat 15.

Those officials weren't even sure themselves. Shame no one has shown chance to balance the mistake. The definite pen on Mooney a few minutes later.

Problem with that, is you have no idea how things would have panned out afterwards.

Let’s say Hyde’s goal stood. What minute was it? Wrexham have 20/30 minutes to chase an equaliser. They are likely to sacrifice defenders for additional attackers. They could go on and turn the game around. If they level the scores, they have all the momentum and could go on and grab a winner.

Equally, them chasing the games would leave gaps for us to potentially exploit. So a 1-0 win, could potentially become a 3-0 and even better for our goal difference.

No one knows how the game would have panned out had Hyde’s goal have stood.

I suppose this is the beauty of not having VAR. We are still talking about the game 5/6 days after the event.

My premiership supporting friends pretty much stop talking about their games in the couple of hours after. They can't quibble about the refereeing decisions as VAR has sucked the fun out of it.

And I wouldn't want the officials to start giving us decisions just to make up for poor refereeing decisions previously. I'd want the current refs to start upping their game and improving in their decision making, reading of the rules and reading of the game.

The majority of us saw the pull on Dackers in the ground, why not the ref. The ref has the benefit of being able to change his position. We are stuck in the same seat, standing area without being able to move with the ball.

I'm not saying the refs job is easy, but if a couple of thousand back seat drivers are saying someone is having their shirt pulled chances are it might just be the correct decision.

So you admit the ref and lino was completly wrong So we lose 2 points And the ref and lino need to be brought to task and struck off for the rest of the season .
No they don't. They made a huge mistake, but we've all been there and done that. They need some kind of reprimand, but it needs to be proportionate.

As it happens, I don't get this attitude. We ask referees to be more visible and admit their mistakes and when they do we throw it back in their faces. As a collective we need to be better than that; we can't have it both ways.

I suppose this is the beauty of not having VAR. We are still talking about the game 5/6 days after the event.

My premiership supporting friends pretty much stop talking about their games in the couple of hours after. They can't quibble about the refereeing decisions as VAR has sucked the fun out of it.

And I wouldn't want the officials to start giving us decisions just to make up for poor refereeing decisions previously. I'd want the current refs to start upping their game and improving in their decision making, reading of the rules and reading of the game.

The majority of us saw the pull on Dackers in the ground, why not the ref. The ref has the benefit of being able to change his position. We are stuck in the same seat, standing area without being able to move with the ball.

I'm not saying the refs job is easy, but if a couple of thousand back seat drivers are saying someone is having their shirt pulled chances are it might just be the correct decision.
That's where you and I disagree!

:Winking:

Many fans moaned about Demi doing this but since he hasn't been in the team, not one player has done it. Fine balance I know, but you definitely need someone in there that will fight those kind of battles.

Wrexham were drilled in it. I think it was that low down chance in the first half when Colin covered his left post. Their hands all went up in a similar fashion to claim a corner. The con didn't work but eventually that sort of pressure was rewarded.

The problem with Demi is he is not very good at it. Rather than angry yellow outbursts you need to convince the ref he is missing obvious fouls on our number 9 etc.

We had a corner late on from our left. Watch their player molest Ralph at the near post. He continued long after the ball went over them and into the second phase. If you tell the ref before then a loud reminder as the ball is on its way I find it improves their vision.

The problem is where does it stop?

Fans would be leaving the ground not knowing the result if points can be added/taken away later in the week.

I remember looking at a result on ceefax at about 515 one sat afternoon and thinking we'd drawn a game. Imagine my surprise when I opened the Sunday papers and found we'd lost!

No they don't. They made a huge mistake, but we've all been there and done that. They need some kind of reprimand, but it needs to be proportionate.

As it happens, I don't get this attitude. We ask referees to be more visible and admit their mistakes and when they do we throw it back in their faces. As a collective we need to be better than that; we can't have it both ways.
Yes and I wish people would make the connection between castigating referees for their mistakes, abusing them, and funnily enough not having very good refs because nobody wants to do it. It's a cycle that is going to be very tough to break.

I do think this particularly instance was unacceptable, because they initially made the correct decision and only changed it when bullied by the Wrexham players.

However, things like Eastleigh where the ref's made a couple of contentious decisions, that is part and parcel of football. I see Chesterfield had their red card against us on Tuesday rescinded. But clearly we didn't take advantage of that particular gift from the officials.

It's not so much the mistake: like players, officials understandably make them too.
It's the confusion.

Kev is still talking about handball, but the ref's decision is offside. He signals it, and latterly, the lino does too.
There is serious concern that a rookie ref (only three games at this level) caved in to pressure.

I agree with @rigsby, Demi is not very good at fighting our corner: his timing is piddle poor for the most part .
And on this occasion, ours are off in one corner celebrating. It's almost a pity Hyde didn't run towards the West, so blue shirts could have added to the chorus.

BUT, I agree we need to cleverly lean, because officialdom at this level is frequently awful.
I've been involved with NL games for nearly 10 years, and EVERY week there is hopelessly poor decision making you won't find in the EFL.

It hurts now but imagine how we will feel if we miss out on 10th place at the end of the season because of this.

Last edited:
Lady Luck is supposed to even these things out over the course of the season. Luck has to be earned though, a lot of the time, so let’s hope the lads earn a rebalancing by the end of the season. It looks like most of the injured players could be in contention by November and that should surely help.

That's where you and I disagree!

:Winking:
The standard of refs in this league i sometimes wonder if they aren't already giving decisions against a certain team to make up for errors in a previous game, and thus a vicious circle ensues which seems that more often than not we are on the end of.

I've not been on other forums of the other clubs in this league, but the iI think the general consensus is that the refereeing is poor when compared to EFL refs (and we had some shockers in that league)

Back