• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United squad given 10km run, morning after defeat to Aldershot

SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown is aiming for a better run of results after surprising his squad with an unexpected 10km race this morning.

Read more on this story

Help with Echo links
His silly tactics and sound bites are so outdated. Perhaps if he’d done his homework and realised that we need young and paced rather than old , slow and crippled then we might have not been wasting our time this season.
Long runs will really wake up the paceless sideways merchants nottt!
Proving just as bad as Molesley but with added bitter and twistedness…..when he got the boot a few years ago I was delighted, why he is back in his 60’s is a mystery?

His silly tactics and sound bites are so outdated. Perhaps if he’d done his homework and realised that we need young and paced rather than old , slow and crippled then we might have not been wasting our time this season.
Proving just as bad as Molesley but with added bitter and twistedness…..when he got the boot a few years ago I was delighted, why he is back in his 60’s is a mystery?
If phil Brown had come in 2 games earlier last season we would still be in league 2! Give the guy time he knows what he's doing!! Its a new challenge in a new league!

Yeah quite right. No need for fitness and discipline in the modern game.

In your honest opinion, what would you say you have ever liked about anything in the history of Southend United?

There have been many ups and downs following the blues since 1987. I think certain periods can be put into buckets on a scale - anger, frustration, disappointment, satisfaction, enjoyment, amazing.

Last year was disappointing to me. We weren't good enough and wherever the blame sat can be argued. I think MM did a good job. He played with the cards given to him and what he had. Had he been supported I think we could have achieved more. I liked the setup of the team but felt we could have attacked more but he got the team defending well probably at the expense of goals at the other end - he just failed to get the balance right.

This season thus far im frustrated with my team - because I think we could do so much better with what we have. I don't believe 532 is a good setup for the players nor football in general. I've never liked it and never seen it play well consistently as a foundation setup. I'm a 442 fan based on the old days with wingers and box to box mids. In the good old days Benjamin was under appreciated because he played that creative mid role dropping deep but playing as a striker. Maybe that's not for modern football but it had good structure and was well balanced to the shape of a pitch. Expecting wing backs to run the length of a pitch all game and be effective at being a winger or a full back is being good at neither. In business, you set up a team to be the best approach to winning and not picking a team around players. You put the right people in the right roles. We are failing at present putting square pegs etc.

People will often argue that its not a structure or an approach that wins. But there are too many times I've witnessed a change in setup and mentality with the same players make a massive difference. Fry coming in. Fry leaving and Taylor taking over (negative impact)

Anyone remember Steve Thompson 433 with Battersby as the lone striker. Literally mid season changed the setup and we played great football. I watch the drivel here and I must say I cant see him turning this around. I don't think PB is the answer- I was underwhelmed last time. I'm frustrated this time around.

Football is only a game but it is meant to be about a desire to win and entertainment. That's why we pay money to indulge. Not seeing either so whether it's Ron or PB or perhaps the new CEO something has to give. Fail fast act quickly!

The sad thing is, I do this for fun, not as a punishment for a poor performance and woeful result.

Think that says more about me unfortunately…

Wow, is that all? Brown really is going to town making the players run a 10K! Should have made them run a half marathon at least!

Come off it Shrimpet. How do you work that out? We drew against Morecambe and beat Harrogate in the games before he came.
There is a case to be made that our away draw against Morecambe was our last decent result (I undervalue wins against teams who had nothing to play for when we were all but relegated).

Back