• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United star Gus Scott-Morriss proud of his team-mates

I reckon he’ll be staying for next season at least unless we get an offer we can’t refuse in the summer. If we get promoted I think he’ll sign a new deal. If not, I expect him to be off to the EFL on a free. No hard feelings from me if so. It’s a short career and given his footballing journey, it would be huge to play in the football league for him. He’s plenty good enough too.

Well his shirt has certainly gone. On the lap of 'Appreciation' he took it off and gave it to a young lad in the South Lower.

What does the shirt sponsor get now?
Probably if he was in the south lower he doesn’t come come to many games it’s usually empty in those seats

last year while we were still struggling financially the players had just one long sleeve and one short sleeved shirt. That was it. If the weather was terrible and they wanted to change at half time, they had to decide which to go with for the first half!
Dont think it's any different this year. However they have now got the stat vests back.

Last edited:
SOUTHEND United wing-back Gus Scott-Morriss is immensely proud of what the Shrimpers have achieved this season.

Blues finished the campaign sitting ninth in the National League standings after somehow overcoming a number of off-field issues.
And, despite being frustrated by a 2-1 defeat to Rochdale on the final day, Scott-Morriss is full of praise for how well the players have been able to perform.

“We’re disappointed but immensely proud at the same time,” said Scott-Morriss.

“We’re disappointed because the fans showed up, showed what they’re about and we couldn’t get the win for them.
“But I’m proud there’s still a club and there’s a group of men in there who have kept this club alive.
“To even have a shout of getting out of this division is a credit to them and I’m so proud of the lads in there.

“We stuck together and stayed true to ourselves''.
The Shrimpers still had an outside chance of finishing in top seven ahead of Saturday’s games.
But Scott-Morriss admitted it has been far from straight-forward for Kevin Maher’s side.

“It’s an honest group of men and I’m very proud of what’s in that dressing room,” said Scott-Morriss.
“I know you see what’s on the pitch but you don’t see what happens in there.
“There’s a lot of emotion and there have been a lot of bad times.
“We’ve been at the training ground not knowing if we’re going to get paid and I’m so proud.
“I think it shows what the club will become about come next season.”
The Shrimpers had gone 15 games without defeat for Saturday’s setback.

And Scott-Morriss was frustrated Blues could not build on his early goal which put the home-side ahead.
“We spoke about getting after them early doors and it was just a shame we took our foot off the gas after that a little bit,” said Scott-Morriss.
“We had them rattled and if we got the second goal I think it would’ve been game done but it wasn’t to be.”
Rochdale came back to triumph 2-1 in front of a crowd of close to 8,000.
And Scott-Morriss admitted the fans have also played a huge part this season.
“They’re first class,” said Scott-Morriss.
“I said it last year when we hadn’t been paid for months on end, they kept the place rocking.
“You want to put on a show for them because they keep the atmosphere going and follow you up and down the country.
“If it wasn’t for them it wouldn’t be the same.
“We could easily have gone under.”
Scott-Morriss has played a leading part in stopping that happen.
And he is pleased with the way things have gone for him this season.
“I’m a harsh critic of myself and I wish I had more assists but I’m also very happy with what I’ve done,” said Scott-Morriss.
I’m always looking to do better but eight goals is a personal best for me.
“I got seven for Hemel and I had that in my head I wanted to break.
“But this season hasn’t been about personal accolades, we had to stick together and play out of position at times.”
The Shrimpers will now take a break this summer before looking to finish higher up the league table next season.
“This club can achieve whatever it wants to achieve,” said Scott-Morriss.
“There are still a lot of things that need to be sorted out.
“It’s exciting with the prospect of a new takeover but it’s going in the right direction and for a long time this club hasn’t been going in the right direction.
“That can only be an exciting thing for everyone.”

Don't worry, he's staying.
Tbh i really hope so. Taking all the emotion out, i've really enjoyed his football. Proper sneaky box player that loves turning up late for crafty tap-ins. You'll see him jog around, then a burst of a sprint, his speed seems impressive, but the determination to win... is of a winner.

He is more or less a "must keep" player for us and deserves all the praise he has received.
He looks like a nightmare to play against when he's on it and the more we have like that the better!

He actually has crept up to being my favourite player I think, puts in a good shift, gets the crowd going, doesn’t mind a bit of ****housery…a junior Demi in the making ! 😂

Last edited:
He actually has crept up to being my favourite player I think, puts in a good shift, gets the crowd going, doesn’t mind a bit of ****hosery…a junior Demi in the making ! 😂
🤣 ****housery and Demi yes yes fine analogy, ha all wrapped up with a Gus grin

Gus has been phenomenal for us from the off, I can't quite believe he was a part timer before us. Great attitude, gives one hundred percent and definitely football league quality.

After years of having a team that a good 50percent were unlikeable mercenaries it's an absolute pleasure to support a team where every single player pulls their weight and plays their part.

I really hope we go up next year as it might mean keeping enjoying a few of these lads a bit longer and could see something special develop

Back