• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United striker Stephen Humphrys is wanted by Doncaster Rovers

I’d be fine with this if Hopper stayed, but who are we going to have left come February?

Kelman & Rush up front... they are good, but they’re just kids

Am I missing something?...... Have people seen the league table..... we shouldn't be upset by anyone leaving we need a clearout and start again, even those who are good enough to stay apparently are not up to it... or up for it at least...

Was always going to happen,a clearout is whats needed ,if we can get a fee for them then club would be negligent not to accept it.We are going down accept it and move on ,lets prepare for next season with a clean slate ,just hold onto our decent youngsters who have come through the club system.

Humphrys is probably peed off spending half the season hardly touching the ball .In a good side that makes chances hes banging in 15 goals min .He said scoring against Sunderland was the best moment of hes life .

And so the clearout begins! Great news, this season has been a write-off for several weeks now. Sol is clearing the decks and if we can con Doncaster into paying a fee for the lazy git then all the better! A clean sweep of most of the playing staff is exactly what is needed if we are to turn this ****show around in League Two next season....

IIRC when we signed Hump from Fulham wasn't there a hefty % agreed on "sell on" clauses etc? So the up front figure for Hump will be much larger than the money "trousered" by SUFC.
According to Donny he is one, of many, players on their proposed transfer list and no direct contact has been made................yet.

We aren't playing to Humphrys strengths, he's not getting the balls in the positions where he is a real threat. We are pumping balls up to him and hoping he will win the header, pass the ball to himself, get away from the defender marking him and bang the ball in the back of the net

Disagree, it isnt bang it up stuff, sol is playing it out of defence, around in midfield, balls in to feet and to run onto, yes we go firect to the front guys every now and then all teams do, but the work ethic and rate has to be there for all sorts of games. SH hasn't been the same player for a long time, hasn't scored since September.

He has everything but rarely uses it sadly.

IIRC when we signed Hump from Fulham wasn't there a hefty % agreed on "sell on" clauses etc? So the up front figure for Hump will be much larger than the money "trousered" by SUFC.
According to Donny he is one, of many, players on their proposed transfer list and no direct contact has been made................yet.

30% i think, they did that as they know he could be a good player and would get something back for him, but they let him go on that deal with no cash involved as they got fed up with him not working and giving everything.

Just read Doncaster are looking at a few more forwards so cant be definite that this is a done deal

Interesting quote from the Doncaster Free Press. By no means a done deal by the look of things.

“Sources at Rovers have suggested to the Free Press that contact was made with Southend over which players would likely be available in January, with Humphrys’ name one of those given, rather than being specifically asked about”

Suggests other teams are picking at the carcass plus there’s a list of players we are willing to let go ..

Hopper was a terrific acquisition and CP deserves credit for identifying and signing him. If he had not suffered that serious injury last season we might now be in a better place, When he had to stop playing we were mid table and not that far away from a play off berth, and there is a case to be made that all of our present troubles can be traced back to that injury.
He always contributed for us and he will be a big loss but if we are to go down we would be unable to keep him regardless of whether he has a relegation clause in his contract or not. Selling him now makes a lot of sense and trying to hang on to him is not a realistic option. While it is very disappointing to lose a player of his determination ability and character I can see why he is being sold and why he is being sold now.
Last year Cox was very good and his sixteen goals obviously hugely contributed to us staying up. Because of his age I always thought he would find it difficult to replicate that form this season so I was not that surprised that his form fell off during this campaign. However, we now learn that even before the season started he was looking to go to Sydney. I would guess what happened was that Sydney made an approach and RM thought 'my best striker and sixteen goals last season.....what's your offer?'. I suspect they were unwilling to pay and this is why Cox stayed but he was unhappy with this outcome and sulked. That may have been the cause of his relative lack of form on the pitch and of all the rumours surrounding his attitude off the field. Until this season he did really well for us but the same cannot be said about his recent efforts. The player we are now losing is not the player of 2017-2019 and I do not lament his departure. In the present circumstances he is no loss.
Humphreys looked the real deal when he first arrived a year ago, but, never looked to be the same player after suffering that horrific injury at Accrington. Whereas last season I could never question his effort or commitment lately his form has been patchy and his effort inconsistent. To me he looks like a player who no longer wants to be at the club, and, if we can secure any kind of fee for him I think we should be happy to take it. Again, even if were to keep him now he would surely go in the off season. If there is money on offer now grab it as there is no guarantee further offers will be forthcoming in the future.
I reiterate Hopper is a huge loss but it is indisputably in the best interests of the club to sell him now.
Cox is no loss at all as we are not losing the player of last season. We won last Saturday without Cox or Humphreys, and, although on paper all three look to be elite players at L1 level our dismal results this season suggest their reputation might be greater than any impact they are able to make on the field.
Having only won twice this season will we do any worse without the three of them? Accepting fees for two of them as well as what we will save on their allegedly substantial wages seems to me an altogether logical course of action. Unpalatable (in the case of Hopper) for sure but in the position we now find ourselves I think it is the best decision for the club.

Last edited:
if, IF, Hump isn't going to wise up and sort out concentration and team ethos issues he could be another on the list of forwards with huge potential but never make it either high enough or for long enough.
Others, that flopped after moves (and often big money) occurred, that spring readily to mind are Tyrone Barnett, JET, Ryan Hall, Leon Constantine, Frannie Jeffries and Lee Barnard.
Wolves/Cov fans would probably add Freddie!

At least if he goes, it will be the end of the most misspelled player we've ever had, although Shagnasty was running him a close second!

Back