• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United striker Stephen Humphrys is wanted by Doncaster Rovers

so genuine question, I assume he is under contract for another season, would we be looking to get £150k too for him? £200k? whats his worth? being mindful that we will need to give Fulham some of that

He will have to put in a good shift and score half a dozen or so goals before the end of the season to be worth anything like that.

There is no clause for him to leave on the cheap if we get relegated and there is a clause for his wages to be reduced if we are relegated, so out of all the want away strikers it makes sense to keep him.

Heard from a source that would definitely know that Humphys wants to leave and return up North. His other half is up there and has a decent job. meaning she doesn't want to move down here. Sol has apparently told Ste he cant leave, and given the current striker situation with Cox gone and Hopper on his way Humprys understands that. Think he is likely to be on his way in the summer

Similar to what I heard other than he wasnt as understanding as you say and threw his toys out the pram.

Similar to what I heard other than he wasnt as understanding as you say and threw his toys out the pram.

Perhaps initial disappointment? I don't know. All I know is what I have been told by someone close to him and they say he understands why, doesn't mean he is not disappointed.

There is no clause for him to leave on the cheap if we get relegated and there is a clause for his wages to be reduced if we are relegated, so out of all the want away strikers it makes sense to keep him.

I'm told the wages cut if relegated is fairly standard for all their contracts.....About 25%.

There are a couple of other big names on the could go by the end of Jan list. So I guess its a case of if X goes then Y may stay or vice versa. Either way does it do anyone any good to keep someone who doesn't wan to be here when we are planning for L2 next season.

One thing is for sure, you only have to watch SH for 5 minutes to see he doesn't want to be here.

I'm told the wages cut if relegated is fairly standard for all their contracts.....About 25%.

There are a couple of other big names on the could go by the end of Jan list. So I guess its a case of if X goes then Y may stay or vice versa. Either way does it do anyone any good to keep someone who doesn't wan to be here when we are planning for L2 next season.

One thing is for sure, you only have to watch SH for 5 minutes to see he doesn't want to be here.
Agree Risgby seems clear he isnt happy being here.

You are probably correct, but if you look at 2 going from the 3 of Cox, Hopper and Humphrys you are going to keep Humphrys all day long given Hoppers relegation clause. You are right that we should be looking to replace Humphrys but we shouldn't let him go until we do have cover. Kelman and Goodship both look good but one is 18 and the other is in his first season in the football league. We need other options or we could destroy their confidence

You are probably correct, but if you look at 2 going from the 3 of Cox, Hopper and Humphrys you are going to keep Humphrys all day long given Hoppers relegation clause. You are right that we should be looking to replace Humphrys but we shouldn't let him go until we do have cover. Kelman and Goodship both look good but one is 18 and the other is in his first season in the football league. We need other options or we could destroy their confidence
Shouldn't keep an unhappy player not giving his all, everyone said that about Cox as well as other issues.

So in that case take what we can now and get a replacement in even if it is on loan.

Last edited:
Would go some way to explaining his apparent detachment, on the field, from the rest of the team and his apathetic performances this term.

Would go some way to explaining his apparent detachment, on the field, from the rest of the team and his apathetic performances this term.

If we want to look at it from the players perspective it could be argued that it has been a bit of a nightmare for him. When he was signed by Powell he was told he would be given a platform to shine and Powell expected that he would get a move up the pyramid in in 18 months time and wouldn't stand in his way, the reality has been very different. The promising start, then the horrific injury, then Powell gets the sack, then the last day heroics, then the mess of this season, not towing Cox's line and a less than harmonious atmosphere etc

If we want to look at it from the players perspective it could be argued that it has been a bit of a nightmare for him. When he was signed by Powell he was told he would be given a platform to shine and Powell expected that he would get a move up the pyramid in in 18 months time and wouldn't stand in his way, the reality has been very different. The promising start, then the horrific injury, then Powell gets the sack, then the last day heroics, then the mess of this season, not towing Cox's line and a less than harmonious atmosphere etc
Can make excuses for why every player doesn't perform or settle. Managers come and go thats the job, if he isnt over the injury (and it was bad) then he shouldn't be playing (or saying he is able to play) till he believes he is, should seek help on that mentally so he does get back to the level he wants to be at, based on current exertions he will not be going upwards division wise in my opinion.

It could also just be due to issues he just doesn't want to be here, if he is unhappy (location / girlfriend etc), doesn't feel he can give his all then we should sell as best for him and the club.

Can make excuses for why every player doesn't perform or settle. Managers come and go thats the job, if he isnt over the injury (and it was bad) then he shouldn't be playing (or saying he is able to play) till he believes he is, should seek help on that mentally so he does get back to the level he wants to be at, based on current exertions he will not be going upwards division wise in my opinion.

It could also just be due to issues he just doesn't want to be here, if he is unhappy (location / girlfriend etc), doesn't feel he can give his all then we should sell as best for him and the club.
The way I see it hoppers gone cox has gone he’s got 15 games to make a huge name for himself ... soft arse , people go on the lash longer than we’ve got left till the end of the season

Donny Rovers fan in peace.

Very sorry to see your club in such a mess, Rovers nearly went bust in 1998, with a hated owner taking the lifeblood out of the club.

You mention Humphries wanting to leave Southend for Rovers, all I know from the Rovers end, was the club was given permission to talk with Humphries. If he wants to move North, a move to Rovers would make sense, depends whether the club is where he wants to go.

We had the same issue with John Marquis, he loved it in Doncaster, but girlfriend wanted to move South, hence his move to Pompey. Not really done the business there.

Hope you are able to rebuild in the Summer, and have a successful campaign in L2 next season.

Wish you all well.

Very sorry to see your club in such a mess, Rovers nearly went bust in 1998, with a hated owner taking the lifeblood out of the club.

Hope you are able to rebuild in the Summer, and have a successful campaign in L2 next season.

Wish you all well.
What a nice message

You mention Humphries wanting to leave Southend for Rovers, all I know from the Rovers end, was the club was given permission to talk with Humphries. If he wants to move North, a move to Rovers would make sense, depends whether the club is where he wants to go.

We had the same issue with John Marquis, he loved it in Doncaster, but girlfriend wanted to move South, hence his move to Pompey. Not really done the business there.

Wish you all well.

Bloody cheek!!! League Two next season!! Pah!!

Back