• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United to begin interview process but Adam Barrett is not in the running to be manager

The two or three games some of those young lads played will be the easiest ones of their careers.

All adrenalin rushes and enthusiasm. Absolutely zero expectation from the manager and most importantly the fans. Completely untainted by the previous form, the previous managers and probably the most disliked older players in our history.

starting a new season and playing regularly at that level is a whole new ball game.

only one or two will survive

The two or three games some of those young lads played will be the easiest ones of their careers.

All adrenalin rushes and enthusiasm. Absolutely zero expectation from the manager and most importantly the fans. Completely untainted by the previous form, the previous managers and probably the most disliked older players in our history.

starting a new season and playing regularly at that level is a whole new ball game.

And this the crux of it. If we do not bring in some experienced players and rely on the young players from last season we are going to head in one direction only. As things stand I see a relegation battle next year, promotion dreams are fanciful at this moment in time.

Reactions: GBJ

You’re cheerful

Don’t get me wrong, the youthfulness of our squad is one aspect our club that I really like. Those that were given minutes last season impressed me and in the end put in some really good performances and got good results to match. That would have been invaluable for their development. I still feel though that we need some experience heads in the squad and maybe a few who have played at this level and know what it’s going to take to come up against physical teams who’ll look to go direct etc
Agree 100% .. which is why whoever Ron gets in needs maximum time to assess what’s he’s got and we need this embargo sorted so a few reinforcements can be brought in. But I don’t think this batch of youngsters will let us down, they’ve already shown togetherness and desire to wear the shirt.

Agree 100% .. which is why whoever Ron gets in needs maximum time to assess what’s he’s got and we need this embargo sorted so a few reinforcements can be brought in. But I don’t think this batch of youngsters will let us down, they’ve already shown togetherness and desire to wear the shirt.

I hope the Chairman does not overlook Fagan or Maher for someone being recommended like Daniel Webb.

I thought about him the other day, wonder if he has applied.

Interesting that Mike Jackson has been promoted to the Tranmere manager after impressing as part of the Tranmere backroom team over the last few years.

Interesting that Mike Jackson has been promoted to the Tranmere manager after impressing as part of the Tranmere backroom team over the last few years.
All our back room team left, which leaves Fagan as the only internal option, not agsainst that I have said I think he will get the job.

It is why I am also happy with Fagan as assistant manager so when the time comes he moves up and we have a succession plan

Much has been said about how much the Cowley brothers detest Southend with every fibre of their being but who knows? Clearly they would be good candidates on the basis of ability alone. Strong odds of them getting better offers, you’d have to think, but if you don’t ask you don’t get.

Let's face it our only selling point is FF and a possible upturn in our financial position. Unfortunately this has been used on every managerial appointment over the last 12+ years and yet here we are in this mess.If Sol had stayed around it would have given the impression things off and on the pitch were now turning in our favour.Lets hope Rons next surprise package actually gets the bonus and uses it wisely

BTW saw an interview with Steven Reid over the weekend. Was very impressed tbf. Speaks very well.

Didn't realise Roy Hodgson brought him in after de Boer left with Palace rock bottom after 7-8 consecutive defeats and then they kept them up. Obviously working with Hodgson a good education. Time a Wimbledon was helping out a friend who had just been made caretaker manager. So really been working at Reading/Palace/WBA getting his UEFA pro license and now Senior Coach with Scotland.

Talks about being ready to take a managers role, and comfortable accepting a challenge down the leagues.

Lives in Epsom by the racecourse by the way (so would be fairly local)

If we did go "outside" this is the type of appointment I would like to see.

Last edited:
I quite like Danny Webb for the job. Never got why people had such a downer on him. Seemed a bit disrespectful to his Dad who is a club legend.

I think David Webb was one of the best managers Southend has ever had. But I do get the sense that the Chairman's head has sometimes been turned by outside advice recommending this or that person. Virtually everyone was dismayed by Kevin Bond's appointment and I am hoping - just like many on this board - that the Chairman can appoint someone who is knowledgeable about the club's young players and can operate on a very limited budget.

I quite like Danny Webb for the job. Never got why people had such a downer on him. Seemed a bit disrespectful to his Dad who is a club legend.
Don’t think it’s disrespect to his dad, everyone has an opinion on everyone, and you should only be considered for a job if the employer thinks you are worth interviewing and then it is down to you.

Just because your dad is a “legend” at the club doesn’t mean you should just get an opportunity or an interview, to saying your saying this just saying you need to deserve to be considered

I think David Webb was one of the best managers Southend has ever had. But I do get the sense that the Chairman's head has sometimes been turned by outside advice recommending this or that person. Virtually everyone was dismayed by Kevin Bond's appointment and I am hoping - just like many on this board - that the Chairman can appoint someone who is knowledgeable about the club's young players and can operate on a very limited budget.

I agree with Ron getting dodgy advice and getting his head turned. Seems to be though that the problems started with Harry started advising rather than Webb, who used to be Ron's 'go to'. I reckon Danny will be a good football person who will recruit for Southend from the right areas. Knows London football and local non-league

Don’t think it’s disrespect to his dad, everyone has an opinion on everyone, and you should only be considered for a job if the employer thinks you are worth interviewing and then it is down to you.

Just because your dad is a “legend” at the club doesn’t mean you should just get an opportunity or an interview, to saying your saying this just saying you need to deserve to be considered

What I mean is people had a downer on him when he played here. I thought he was okay for a 19-year old.

Back