• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DoDTS

The PL League Boss⭐⭐
“Southend United Under the Shadow of War” is my next book which should be published this coming November. For those that have seen my previous effort the “Forgotten Years of the Kursaal” the format is much the same, match reports intermingled with snippets from the local paper, and is my attempt at showing the history of the club for this period in the greatest possible detail. As this book covers 1934 to 1946 it is in fact two stories, one of the Blues and one of the town of Southend during war time, and it will include some 1,500 extracts from the local papers in its 400 odd pages. A quick blog of the book is shown at the bottom of this post.

The point of all this is have any Shrimperzoners anything to include in this book i.e.

1) Southend United 1934 to 1946, I know it’s a long time ago but has anyone any memories, pictures etc on this period or any passed down stories from parents, grandparents etc.

2) Southend and district during the war, again any personal or handed down stories of evacuation, air raids, rationing etc. and again any pictures would always be welcome.

Full credit to anyone providing anything used in the book would of course be given.

DoDtS

SOUTHEND UNITED UNDER THE SHADOW OF WAR 1934 to 1946

In 1934 Southend United…….had a new ground at the Stadium and a new manager in internationally well known David Jack, however at the end of the season they had to seek re-election and the pitch was a quagmire. A 4-4 draw at Tottenham the following season brought some satisfaction but In the coming seasons, the supporters watching poor results became disenchanted with the ground the “bob” supporter getting poor views in the open. With the outbreak of war Football continued for a season at the Stadium in largely meaningless games, with the club only kept afloat by the generosity of the supporters. The following year the London clubs refused to travel to Southend as it was a restricted area and the club had little option but to move to Chelmsford, they struggled on for a year but little of Southend United was left apart from the name and at the end of the season it was time to call it a day. With peace declared the club was resurrected and competed in the 1945-46 most importantly the club had survived.

In 1934 the Town of Southend
was rapidly developing, the fastest growing residential town in the country and the population grew to 150,000. With the outbreak of war it was generally thought that the town would be in the front line and possibly the place for invasion and life in Southend revolved around gas masks and Anderson shelters. With Dunkirk the Government virtually insisted on evacuation not only of children but everyone who could be persuaded to leave. The population dropped by two thirds to 50,000 and those that were absent didn’t know if their property had been bombed, vandalised or looted Those that stayed had to contend with bombs, doodlebugs and V-2 rockets and the worry that their children, many who were not receiving any education at all, might be buying, swopping or playing with live ammunition. Despite all this the town survived

Will look forward to another excellent read Pete, didn't realise you'd started another one, thanks for booking up Aldershot, two weeks til kick off, can't wait!

Pete,

I've got a few books about Southend during the war, plus my surviving Uncle has had a couple of articles published about being evacuated and other experiences during those years. I'll ask him if he'd mind them being repeated subject to them being what you want for your book.

Cheers H

I found this picture of Harry,Firestorm and I think it is OBL in the foreground..not sure about the rest...hope it helps Pete.....damn you meant WW2...sorry mate they were a lot older then.

SoldiersBilletedSouthendWW1.jpg

Pete,

I've got a few books about Southend during the war, plus my surviving Uncle has had a couple of articles published about being evacuated and other experiences during those years. I'll ask him if he'd mind them being repeated subject to them being what you want for your book.

Cheers H

Thanks Harry, the Southend Standards give a very good idea of what was going on and I've been through them week by week, what I'm really after is the personal stories to compliment the newspaper articles.

Cheers

Pete

I found this picture of Harry,Firestorm and I think it is OBL in the foreground..not sure about the rest...hope it helps Pete.....damn you meant WW2...sorry mate they were a lot older then.

SoldiersBilletedSouthendWW1.jpg

Nice one John, actually that looks very much like you just to the right of OBL?

Pete

My father has a number of pictures and other bits re Southend during the war eg his ration books etc although not sure anything relating to the club. He has previously supplied copies for other books and Southend museum.

If you are interested will speak to him and e-mail you contact details.

My father has a number of pictures and other bits re Southend during the war eg his ration books etc although not sure anything relating to the club. He has previously supplied copies for other books and Southend museum.

If you are interested will speak to him and e-mail you contact details.

Thanks if you can that would be great, this book is two stories SUFC and Southend in the War so anything would be of help.

I will pm you my e-mail address.

Cheers

DoDtS

Back