• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United under transfer embargo due to money owed to HMRC

Last time we relied on Sturrock having contacts that trusted him enough to believe the embargo would be lifted, it was a miracle he managed to get so many players to agree to sign for us. I can't see it happening again especially if we go for an unproven manager.

That is true. But it is likely there will be an unprecedented number of footballers unemployed by the start of the season. If ever there was a time to need to sign a load of players last minute, this is the season.

Are we really in the poop if we had Oxley, Seadon, Bwopmono, Taylor, White, Dieng, Kyprianou, Clifford, Ralph, Demetriou, Lennon, Hutchinson, Kinali, Gard, Barratt, Egbrei, Kelman, Rush, Acquah, Goodship and Humphrys? ( not to mention 4 others )

That is true. But it is likely there will be an unprecedented number of footballers unemployed by the start of the season. If ever there was a time to need to sign a load of players last minute, this is the season.

Good point, but signing them is one thing, and being allowed to register and play them is another thing entirely.

Last time we relied on Sturrock having contacts that trusted him enough to believe the embargo would be lifted, it was a miracle he managed to get so many players to agree to sign for us. I can't see it happening again especially if we go for an unproven manager.
We had our embargo lifted after Gary Hooper 3.5 million move to Celtic as we had 20% of deals interest into the clauses in case Hooper move to another clubs. That what saved us.

Are we really in the poop if we had Oxley, Seadon, Bwopmono, Taylor, White, Dieng, Kyprianou, Clifford, Ralph, Demetriou, Lennon, Hutchinson, Kinali, Gard, Barratt, Egbrei, Kelman, Rush, Acquah, Goodship and Humphrys? ( not to mention 4 others )

Might as well forget Elvis & Humphrys.

Kelman, Oxley, Lennon, Hutch & Demetriou could possibly go.

Barratt & White haven’t re-signed their contracts yet.

So, a potential squad of

Seadon

Taylor
Dieng
Kyps
Coker
MMN
Clifford
Ralph

Kinali
Phillips
Gard
Egbri

Rush
Acquah
Goodship.

That’s a relegation squad, and there’s no question about it.

As far as I can see the postponement hasn't been confirmed. Assuming it has (and I've missed it), can someone say what actual date in September? Obviously that is important because the new season doesn't start until the 12th.

If the hearing is before that then we can still sign players and have them registered before the season starts. We could sign players tomorrow if we wanted to.

If Ron has been sensible then the postponement won't make a lot of difference by itself. Where it might have an impact is on what players we can attract. It might even make a difference to what manager we can attract, and we need a manager in place before we can do anything.

Good point, but signing them is one thing, and being allowed to register and play them is another thing entirely.

We may well be in the position where we are unable to field new signings for the first few games of the season.

There may also be a number of other clubs in our division in the same boat.

I'm searching for reasons to be optimistic, but the main one is of course that Southend United Football Club Ltd still exists.

The second one is that if we can somehow get this paid in time for the next hearing, there's nothing to stop us signing players and registering them after the embargo lifts, much as we did in 2010.

There are plenty of footballers out of work at the moment and no, we're not the most attractive option, but neither are we the only club with financial struggles. Even playing for us is better than not playing at all.

The main worry will be if it doesn't get paid in time for the next hearing...

I'm not sure why people expected Ron to just magic up almost three quarters of a million pounds from his back pocket when the club has had no income for four months.
Did the PFA not step in back in February to help with wages ? not sure whether they just advised the players or loaned the Club money to pay wages.

We may well be in the position where we are unable to field new signings for the first few games of the season.

There may also be a number of other clubs in our division in the same boat.

Unfortunately, you’re talking about a lot of variables, which can (and usually tend to) go against us.

Let’s face it, this embargo has been hanging over our heads for quite some time now, and two separate court dates have failed to resolve it.

Did the PFA not step in back in February to help with wages ? not sure whether they just advised the players or loaned the Club money to pay wages.
No the tribunal hearing made clear that no monies had been paid by PFA either direct to the players or the club. That turned out to be speculation and no more.

As far as I can see the postponement hasn't been confirmed. Assuming it has (and I've missed it), can someone say what actual date in September? Obviously that is important because the new season doesn't start until the 12th.

If the hearing is before that then we can still sign players and have them registered before the season starts. We could sign players tomorrow if we wanted to.

If Ron has been sensible then the postponement won't make a lot of difference by itself. Where it might have an impact is on what players we can attract. It might even make a difference to what manager we can attract, and we need a manager in place before we can do anything.

No confirmation yet, although I’d expect Ron to put out a statement later today, in which he will downplay the situation, and then quickly change subject to talk about the depth of great applicants that can’t wait to manage this club, and how he’s having such a hard time picking the right candidate.

Season will likely be starting early September though. If this is put back until late September we will be well behind as usual.

Might as well forget Elvis & Humphrys.

Kelman, Oxley, Lennon, Hutch & Demetriou could possibly go.

Barratt & White haven’t re-signed their contracts yet.

So, a potential squad of

Seadon

Taylor
Dieng
Kyps
Coker
MMN
Clifford
Ralph

Kinali
Phillips
Gard
Egbri

Rush
Acquah
Goodship.

That’s a relegation squad, and there’s no question about it.

Yes, but you are taking all the worst possible scenarios (other than Rush and Acquah who haven't signed yet).

All the players you list as leaving may leave this transfer window. It's however unlikely all leave. And it's even more unlikely that they all leave before the start of the season. I suspect our team will look quite different (both in terms of incoming and outgoing) between opening day of the season and the transfer window closing.

Moreover if we do sell all of Kelman, Elvis, Hutchinson and Humprhys that should go a long way towards lifting the transfer embargo and allowing incoming players.

Our position with signings is far from ideal but it's not yet fatal. I think one of the keys will be whether we can get players in and training before the embargo is lifted.

But also a lot will depend on how other clubs in the division fare. We don't yet know how many other clubs are in the same boat - and whose youngsters may not be as good or as experienced as ours.

Reactions: fbm
Eagerly awaiting another statement from Ron outlining why we should all be positive blah blah blah oh and the new stadium.. can't wait.

If confirmed as CP says, even if they were thinking of it, this is hardly going to encourage folk to invest in a new season card.

No confirmation yet, although I’d expect Ron to put out a statement later today, in which he will downplay the situation, and then quickly change subject to talk about the depth of great applicants that can’t wait to manage this club, and how he’s having such a hard time picking the right candidate.
Sadly I think you may be right but deep down I so hope you are wrong but my heart often rules my head........ If we had paid up then I think via the media we would all know by now. We just seem to drift from one disaster to another while someone lives in hope that FF is the answer to all his problems !

Back