• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United under transfer embargo due to money owed to HMRC

Yes, but you are taking all the worst possible scenarios (other than Rush and Acquah who haven't signed yet).

All the players you list as leaving may leave this transfer window. It's however unlikely all leave. And it's even more unlikely that they all leave before the start of the season. I suspect our team will look quite different (both in terms of incoming and outgoing) between opening day of the season and the transfer window closing.

Moreover if we do sell all of Kelman, Elvis, Hutchinson and Humprhys that should go a long way towards lifting the transfer embargo and allowing incoming players.

Our position with signings is far from ideal but it's not yet fatal. I think one of the keys will be whether we can get players in and training before the embargo is lifted.

But also a lot will depend on how other clubs in the division fare. We don't yet know how many other clubs are in the same boat - and whose youngsters may not be as good or as experienced as ours.

It’s likely that most of those players will leave.

I know that Elvis and Humphrys want out. They’re actively trying to sort out transfers as we speak.

Demetriou & Oxley are still on decent wages, which aren’t conducive to our current situation, and Hutchinson, Lennon & Kelman all have interest in them from teams in higher leagues.

I don’t think they’ll all go, but the possibility that they will, is very real. If they do, then we will need 7-8 new signings, minimum.

Like you say, the good news is, we will recoup some funds for those players, which will certainly brighten up our bank account, and whilst I agree our situation is not fatal, I believe it is very precarious, and should be treated as such.

We must now get a manager in place ASAP, and he has to work his bollocks off to assemble a squad that can learn & gel together quickly. If we can get the embargo lifted on Sept 16th, then it’s not the end of the world.

However, if we don’t get the embargo lifted on that date OR we fall into any other disrepute (such as more non-payment of wages), then we’re nailed on for relegation next season, IMO.

Last edited:
How many season tickets do you think we will sell this year off the back of this......less my four I’d say 1262?

Yes, but you are taking all the worst possible scenarios (other than Rush and Acquah who haven't signed yet).

All the players you list as leaving may leave this transfer window. It's however unlikely all leave. And it's even more unlikely that they all leave before the start of the season. I suspect our team will look quite different (both in terms of incoming and outgoing) between opening day of the season and the transfer window closing.

Moreover if we do sell all of Kelman, Elvis, Hutchinson and Humprhys that should go a long way towards lifting the transfer embargo and allowing incoming players.

Our position with signings is far from ideal but it's not yet fatal. I think one of the keys will be whether we can get players in and training before the embargo is lifted.

But also a lot will depend on how other clubs in the division fare. We don't yet know how many other clubs are in the same boat - and whose youngsters may not be as good or as experienced as ours.

I wouldn’t want to rely too heavily on incoming transfer fees for players contributing to the lifting of the embargo.

I’m not sure any club in league 1 or 2 will have much of a transfer budget at all. Everyone’s first port of call will be the best of the freebies on offer. With what’s left being scraps for the rest to fight over whether they’re worthwhile or not.

the window for contracted players opens next week so we’ll see an indication of who has money to spend soon after that I guess? The bad news is that with the promise of crowds returning sooner than expected clubs budget sheets may show a forecast of being able to spend a little.

but.....in this climate clubs will be trying to steal players for less than their value whole Ron being Ron will want good money or demand better money knowing he either keeps a player he needs to loses one for more money than he hoped.

if Ron initially wanted £100k / £150k / £200k for say Elvis / Charlie / Isaac he may now ask for £150/£200/250k and price them out knowing he gets to keep them or he gets a good price

I don't know anything but could this all be depending on the advancement of the stadium plans? Maybe Ron won't be able to access the funds to settle the tax bill until the stadium definitely gets a green light. Does anyone have any idea when that could be? Not exactly the best preparation for next season but then again, who knows what's going to happen between now and then?

this might seem like an ignorant question but does the embargo get lifted if we pay up before the next court date? If i understand it correctly the embargo is enforced by the EFL not the courts so if we pay up HMRC before september then surely the EFL can lift the embargo?

I don't know anything but could this all be depending on the advancement of the stadium plans? Maybe Ron won't be able to access the funds to settle the tax bill until the stadium definitely gets a green light

It’s possible... and also very worrying at the same time.

If we’re relying on be council to get a move on with things, then the September hearing looks even more precarious.

this might seem like an ignorant question but does the embargo get lifted if we pay up before the next court date? If i understand it correctly the embargo is enforced by the EFL not the courts so if we pay up HMRC before september then surely the EFL can lift the embargo?

I would say that until the court case is either dismissed, or concluded, the embargo will remain.

I’m guessing here, but I assume we could technically pay the debt tomorrow, but until it goes back in front of a judge, and is ruled upon, then everything stays the same.

I would say that until the court case is either dismissed, or concluded, the embargo will remain.

I’m guessing here, but I assume we could technically pay the debt tomorrow, but until it goes back in front of a judge, and is ruled upon, then everything stays the same.
I was under the impression that if a club pays before any court case, they can send proof to the league and then any sanctions are lifted in due course. of course could be different to that and be as GBJ says

Reactions: fbm
Anyone buying a season ticket whilst still under a winding up order is mad. If the club does go bust it will be the second year in a row season ticket holders will lose their money.

Personally I do not think we will go bust, but I will not be spending anything until it is resolved.

Anyone buying a season ticket whilst still under a winding up order is mad. If the club does go bust it will be the second year in a row season ticket holders will lose their money.

Personally I do not think we will go bust, but I will not be spending anything until it is resolved.
unless you buy on a credit card of course

I was under the impression that if a club pays before any court case, they can send proof to the league and then any sanctions are lifted in due course. of course could be different to that and be as GBJ says

Hopefully you’re right.

When are the sheep/lemmings going to wake up and realise what Ron Martin is doing and has done to this club. Most of the football league treat us like the unwashed and give us nothing. We take the pee out of our neighbours, but they have the goodwill of their local or ex-loanees. Vic Jobson seems like Jack Walker compared to our current incumbent!

Hopefully people will start finding their voices and start speaking out instead going, here Ron, have my season ticket money and don’t worry the money from last season either. It’s not like he doesn’t live in a big F O house on Essex Way and needs help.

Wake up everybody!!

Beat me to it Yorkie.

With the sale of one or two players, plus a share of Dru's move (if that goes through) there will be more than enough to get us out of the embargo.

Wigan have just been told they can't sign players for 2 years.

The EFL are clamping down on clubs who land themselves in trouble. As a serial offender, I hardly think they'll choose us to go easy on.

That isn't in any way supporting clubs. If anything, it will push more clubs under

Back