• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United under transfer embargo due to money owed to HMRC

When are the sheep/lemmings going to wake up and realise what Ron Martin is doing and has done to this club. Most of the football league treat us like the unwashed and give us nothing. We take the pee out of our neighbours, but they have the goodwill of their local or ex-loanees. Vic Jobson seems like Jack Walker compared to our current incumbent!

Hopefully people will start finding their voices and start speaking out instead going, here Ron, have my season ticket money and don’t worry the money from last season either. It’s not like he doesn’t live in a big F O house on Essex Way and needs help.

Wake up everybody!!

Spot on..... how do they fall for it?

The thing for me now is, is Martin going to come out and explain/re-assure the fans?
Because whilst he might play it down and do his usual condescending "the fans don't need to worry about this, it's my problem"......this is serious. Not only is the club closer to the brink than it's been since probably the 1980s, but today's adjournment could realistically lead to our relegation out of the Football League next season, for various inter-connected reasons.

Now is the time, more than ever, that he needs to ****ing SPEAK. Before the relationship between the club and the fan base is completely destroyed.

The thing for me now is, is Martin going to come out and explain/re-assure the fans?
Because whilst he might play it down and do his usual condescending "the fans don't need to worry about this, it's my problem"......this is serious. Not only is the club closer to the brink than it's been since probably the 1980s, but today's adjournment could realistically lead to our relegation out of the Football League next season, for various inter-connected reasons.

Now is the time, more than ever, that he needs to ****ing SPEAK. Before the relationship between the club and the fan base is completely destroyed.

What can he say that will change things?

And even if he said those things, would people believe him?

Are you?.....don’t be shy, he relies on a few mugs that he can walk all over no matter what he does.

Well I'm renewing. Why wouldn't I?

I'm more a Southend fan than a football fan. Lower league clubs all lose money and they need everything they can get.

I can't imagine a scenario where I actively wouldn't want to support the club I have supported since I was 8 years old and so would always go to games. Why should I pay more on a game by game basis? I also want my seat just in case shock horror we get a big draw in the cup (yes, yes, I know). The club can have the use of my money.

It's not really supporting if you aren't prepared to financially contribute and not to do so because of Ron is strange in my view. The bloke has kept us alive for years. Yes, I agree that clubs should belong to the supporters but the fact is that they don't. People need to accept that and stop living in the past. Or of course just stop supporting the club,. But then don't bleat about it on here because that will be your choice and no-one else's.

I'm just grateful that we still have a club at all.

Are you?.....don’t be shy, he relies on a few mugs that he can walk all over no matter what he does.
I’m renewing
I’m not a mug
I have never let anyone walk over me

however I do have a skill called “able to take in information and make an informed decision”

Additionally I also won’t be slagging off people who decide not to renewal or name calling . Each off us does want we believe to be correct.

I will listen to people who put up a coherent argument for why supporters should not renew, but at the moment I haven’t heard one that makes sense to me.

Last edited:
What can he say that will change things?

And even if he said those things, would people believe him?

Quite- and we already know what the problem is.
Ron needs a large sum of money.
The people who can give it to him our the partners in the FF & RH developments.
They clearly are reluctant to forward those moneys until there is more certainty on planning for RH & FF
With planning the value of RH & FF rockets and Ron has plenty of collateral and can recapitalise the club.
To coin a phrase, nothing has changed.
It is and remains timing.
HMRC are not going to pull the plug (and get nothing) because they can see where the money is coming from. Hence I don't believe they have opposed either postponement.

I’m renewing
I’m not a mug
I have never let anyone walk over me

however I do have a skill called “able to take in information and make an informed decision”

HoweverI also won’t be slagging off people who decide not to renewal or name calling . Each off us does want we believe to be correct.

I will listen to people who put up a coherent argument for why supporters should not renew, but at the moment I haven’t heard one that makes sense to me.
Well put
Certainly the fear of losing money is not a valid reason - as DCG says put it on a card if there is any concern.
I think we all know not renewing will make the situation worse and don't need telling. However, people don't need to be called out on their decision.

They clearly are reluctant to forward those moneys until there is more certainty on planning for RH & FF
With planning the value of RH & FF rockets and Ron has plenty of collateral and can recapitalise the club.
HMRC are not going to pull the plug (and get nothing) because they can see where the money is coming from. Hence I don't believe they have opposed either postponement.

No, we don't know this. We are speculating, based on the fact that some of us have seen the Zakays' name pop up on Companies House. I'm not saying it's not correct. Far from it, I very much imagine it to be pretty on the money. But we don't know for sure. It would be good to hear it from him. Some reassurance is needed, and it would be nice to see a positive spin on the whole thing with him elaborating on the fact that he's essentially told the court that he expects to have planning permission and re-financing in place by September 16th.

Although what we don't know is what other unpaid demands have piled up in the meantime.

Correct.

I know that one furloughed player activated a 14-day contract termination warning, due to non payment of wages.

He’d received the Government’s 80%, but hadn’t received the top-up that he was owed as per the refreshed terms of the furlough contract that they signed a few months ago. The good news is, the debt was swiftly paid at that point.

Would the EFL deem that as a breach? It’s extraordinary circumstances, which isn’t laid out in their policies, but I’d have thought non-payment of wages, is still non-payment of wages?

From what I heard, you got it kentblues. Very well put as well.

No, we don't know this. We are speculating, based on the fact that some of us have seen the Zakays' name pop up on Companies House. I'm not saying it's not correct. Far from it, I very much imagine it to be pretty on the money. But we don't know for sure. It would be good to hear it from him. Some reassurance is needed, and it would be nice to see a positive spin on the whole thing with him elaborating on the fact that he's essentially told the court that he expects to have planning permission and re-financing in place by September 16th.
Well the only thing that will make everyone believe anything would probably be a statement from SBC rather than Ron. In the end we know planning is at the crux of it all.
I am sure there will be a statement later today or tomorrow, and I'm equally sure that whole will be picked in it and it won't satisfy everyone remotely.
What is really needed is a clear route to planning approvals and a clear project plan supported by all parties - Ron, Citizen, SBC and (perhaps) Homes England.

I think you’ve nailed it.

Especially the timing point. We now have up until Sept 16th for that timing to come to fruition, before our situation becomes critical.

What we can’t afford, is any delays from the council, or any pandemic-related hit on the financials of it.

Correct.

I know that one furloughed player activated a 14-day contract termination warning, due to non payment of wages.

He’d received the Government’s 80%, but hadn’t received the top-up that he was owed as per the refreshed terms of the furlough contract that they signed a few months ago. The good news is, the debt was swiftly paid at that point.

Would the EFL deem that as a breach? It’s extraordinary circumstances, which isn’t laid out in their policies, but I’d have thought non-payment of wages, is still non-payment of wages?
There were three Championship Clubs who paid late earlier in this year with no action. Unless there is a special rule for the big clubs and another for us (surely not) I suspect there is a degree of leeway for, shall we, administrative issues. A day or two you might get away with, 10-14 days as we found out not...

Hopefully.

There were three Championship Clubs who paid late earlier in this year with no action. Unless there is a special rule for the big clubs and another for us (surely not) I suspect there is a degree of leeway for, shall we, administrative issues. A day or two you might get away with, 10-14 days as we found out not...

Hopefully.

Yes hopefully you’re right.

We can’t afford a points deduction.

It's not just certainty on planning permission.

That's only one small part of the equation.

They will also be looking at the economic viability of the whole project in light of coronavirus and the UK crashing out of the EU in January. We're in for an incredibly rocky time economically and projects are being shelved or delayed as companies cut their losses.

The good news is that borrowing is incredibly cheap at the moment so that can offset some of the lower returns the project will now be expected to make.

Correct.

They'd be within their rights to, but I would think some leeway would be granted in light of the extraordinary circumstances that are hitting well run businesses as well as the feckless.

As the above post alludes to, there is a severe economic crisis looming. The sold prices of the properties earmarked for RH and FF could be well short of what was envisaged months ago

Back