• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United under transfer embargo due to money owed to HMRC

I actually liked Layer Road. It was a total s**thole but had character that your new ground doesn’t. This is why I’m not overly fussed about a new ground, even though ours is falling apart.

Yes the thing is Layer Road was run down just like Roots Hall is now in some ways, but it is home and most new stadiums are very different. We moved to a new ground earlier than planned because Layer Road needed at least a million spent on it shortly to aquire a new safety certificate. As we intended to move within the next 5-10 years we had to make a quick decision and the only land available cheaply was where we are now which was owned by the local council. We ended up in the middle of nowhere because there was little being built around us, 12 years later it is improving but still to me anyway doesn't feel like home. Most away fans I speak to admit they miss Layer Road, there is something about those old stadiums that the new ones can't match. Yes you get a better view, more facilities etc but for us older fans the memories are not there, the atmosphere is not the same and it is all so bloody sterile! Treasure Roots Hall because whatever replaces it will not feel like home for many years......

Last edited:
They hated Southend invading Layer Road, as we would end up having 3 sides. It looked like it was falling down in the 70s, with zero investment, but I really miss the place.

My little brother (14 at the time) was crushed against the perimeter wall in 1971 at the Layer Road end, when a punchup developed between Colchester and Southend. He was taken to hospital with suspected fractured ribs and of course I had to go with him in the ambulance, I was 18. We missed much of the game which Colchester won 1-0 with a 78th minute goal from Steve Leslie in front of nearly 10,000 fans, I still moan at him about mising that goal today:Hilarious: For those interested here is a link to the teams that day, several decent players in each side. https://www.coludata.co.uk/item.php...wAll=&fcomp1ShowAll=&frt=all&fhan=all&it=1418

My little brother (14 at the time) was crushed against the perimeter wall in 1971 at the Layer Road end, when a punchup developed between Colchester and Southend. He was taken to hospital with suspected fractured ribs and of course I had to go with him in the ambulance, I was 18. We missed much of the game which Colchester won 1-0 with a 78th minute goal from Steve Leslie in front of nearly 10,000 fans, I still moan at him about mising that goal today:Hilarious: For those interested here is a link to the teams that day, several decent players in each side. https://www.coludata.co.uk/item.php...wAll=&fcomp1ShowAll=&frt=all&fhan=all&it=1418

I LOVE that database...:Worthy: Who on earth had the time to put that together? @Colchester and proud!

I LOVE that database...:Worthy: Who on earth had the time to put that together?

Graeson Laitt is your man, a longtime season ticket holder at Colchester, there is some great stuff on there, as you can tell he has been doing it for years and constantly updates it. It is a great resource for fans of any club who has played Colchester over the years, he is improving it all the time. You will find some games he has even included videos of the match as well. He is also heavily involved with local cricket as well.

Graeson Laitt is your man, a longtime season ticket holder at Colchester, there is some great stuff on there, as you can tell he has been doing it for years and constantly updates it. It is a great resource for fans of any club who has played Colchester over the years, he is improving it all the time. You will find some games he has even included videos of the match as well. He is also heavily involved with local cricket as well.

It's fantastic, now if only we had somebody with that sort of free time. Tell him from me he has done a brilliant job on it.

What mask will Uncle Ron choose to wear for the occasion?

What mask will Uncle Ron choose to wear for the occasion?

I don't know, but after hearing our sorry tale, I wonder if the Judges would lend Southend a few quid. Ron's got his own special chair there with his name on it, he's been there so many times. Every year he turns up, every year he wins. Quite impressive really, apart from being there in the first place.

Do we expect this to happen or is Ron’s usual trick to settle the day before and it gets withdrawn?

Back