• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v AFC Wimbledon

Starting XI for Saturday and your expectations on the result.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Look at the main reasons for our performance and the result last night.....

We started brightly fair enough. We have good seasoned pros coming back and the adrenalin was flowing and everyone looked lively....

BUT.......training and League 1 matches are a world apart and the refusal to have made several players travel to a 23s game backfired in my opinion and bringing so many back in to start games especially on a heavy pitch after a long journey was a poor decision. I know 23s games aren’t a great substitute for real matches but we don’t have time and should’ve used every opportunity we had to give them minutes...

I just knew that as the game wore on, players would gradually lose the pace of the game, some before others, but we started with 4 players lacking a real base fitness and match sharpness and once they started to tire (Bunn tired after 30 mins.....the rest progressively over the next 30) we were in trouble.

It doesn’t take much....and it’s a snowball effect when Bunn for example stops putting defenders under pressure, the ball stops sticking, Cox then tries to compensate.....now your front two are ineffective....Hyam started to cover less ground, he gradually saw less of the ball...now we have less possession and spend longer chasing....which two players are struggling with....

Gradually after more and more pressure (Scun had 60% possession by half time!!) we start to concede ground, gove away more set pieces and are unable to track runners....forwards only need half a yard on a tiring Lennon / Demi and hey presto!!!!!

Why is this a surprise? It was a gamble but unless you can spot the signs early and have the squad to make changes that maintain the previous levels you are stuffed!!

Go with players that are fully fit and can run and play with energy and enthusiasm.....football is an athletic sprint sport.....if you have to gamble on one or two then spit the signs early for changes...

But according to some on here, you don't need matches to get you fit!!!

JD and Bunn should not be starting League games, without having played u23; they need match fitness, it's too much of a risk to throw them in at the beginning

But according to some on here, you don't need matches to get you fit!!!

JD and Bunn should not be starting League games, without having played u23; they need match fitness, it's too much of a risk to throw them in at the beginning
I'd say this is true for longer injuries but muscle pulls for 4-6 weeks out I'd say once their declared fit chuck them straight back in. Time is not something we have at the moment.

I'd say this is true for longer injuries but muscle pulls for 4-6 weeks out I'd say once their declared fit chuck them straight back in. Time is not something we have at the moment.

JD has been out longer that 6 weeks, and that wasn't a muscle pull.

As for Bunn, I would agree if he'd constantly been playing up until his 4-6 weeks out, but he wasn't, therefore he needs match fitness something we can't afford to be giving in League games.

Bishop
Demetriou Kiernan Lennon Moore
Hart Hyam Yearwood McLaughlin
Cox (C) Kelman

We need Kiernan back in defence, I'd put Hart on the wing as he always gets high up the ground. McLaughlin should play a bit better now hid dirt magnet has been born.

Bishop
Demetriou Kiernan Lennon Moore
Hart Hyam Yearwood McLaughlin
Cox (C) Kelman

We need Kiernan back in defence, I'd put Hart on the wing as he always gets high up the ground. McLaughlin should play a bit better now hid dirt magnet has been born.

Yep nows the time to experiment with players in new positions ?

Oxley
Demetriou White Turner Kiernan (if Lennon not fit) Hart
Mantom Hyam
Yearwood
Bunn Cox

This game is must win. But nothing has changed, as It’s been a must win game, for the past month.

After the collapse last night, I can’t help but feel pessimistic going into this one.

I won’t be in the country for this game, and I’m not sure if I’m thankfull or disappointed about that. This could be make or break.

Win, lose or draw options have now been added to the bottom of the poll to help GBJ with his thread on the next match.

It seems a little redundant to post a thread up tbh. Expectations for this game will be as high as they’ve ever been, for any previous game, this season.

We haven't looked fit all season. I remember the Stevenage play-off games, the Wycombe play off final, we bossed extra time in both of them as our players were stronger and fitter than the opposition. Its something that PB was very keen on.

Its no surprise now, that one of the only remaining players from the PB era is Cox and he does the running of two players. Also Demi is the same (when not coming back from injury).

I have never seen a squad of players look so unfit as they are now. We conceed loads of late goals, not just due to the tactics, but lack of fitness, concentration etc.

The whole set up of the playing staff at the club at the moment is wrong. Injuries haven't helped obviously, but maybe some of these are due to the poor pre-season (didnt we only play about 4 games), poor fitness, and possibly poor mental and physical preparation for games.

I am thankful I am not there on Saturday (although will be watching on i-follow), as I would be fearful of a bad deafeat, toxic atmosphere and a miserable 3 hour drive home.

I can't see RM putting up with much more, and a defeat on Saturday, we would be in the bottom 4 only 3 points above Wimbledon. We could quite conceivably finish bottom by the end of the season.

There are several dilemmas at play here. We may have players back on paper but there is so much rustiness to a lot of people and some players are just not match fit. Firstly, we urgently need some semblance of consistency of line up and system. But how do you justify keeping some of those players who underperformed so woefully last night in the side?

Trying to be objective here, we were actually playing quite well last night until the wind blew a cross into our net. But we don't commit men forward nearly quickly enough in this system and I'm afraid our fans will not accept lining up with 5 defenders at home against the bottom side.

I do think Powell has to go back to a 4-4-2. I know this is a very clueless football fan thing to say, but on this occasion I believe it's true. Unfortunately, the wingers we have are out of form. However, the recovery of Demetriou adds another dimension to our right hand side, and Kightly has the intelligence if not the pace to link up well with him. It's also the side where Wimbledon are most threatening with Pinnock. Personally, I think that is where the game will be won or lost.

Rest Hyam, he's not ready for three games in a week. I can see Lennon coming out also, it's a big ask for him to do the same. Kiernan may come in and Moore may keep his place, as poor as he has been lately. I'd like to see Yearwood back in with Mantom. I know many would like to see Mantom dropped, but he's more dynamic than Dieng and certainly likely to cover more ground to track Wordsworth.

Up top, Bunn and Cox did seem to link up well for the start last night but Bunn's not fit and it showed after half an hour. I can see Kelman returning, but he'll probably only be able to do 60 or 70 minutes. Bunn off the bench to try later on to try and get us back in the game (we will of course be losing by that point).

Is this enough to beat a side second in the form table and with three ex players eager to prove a point? Probably not. I predict a woeful 11th home defeat of the season, and Powell to be gone by Monday.

Mi
Try Moore in midfield protecting the back 4.

He has energy, pace and works hard which are three things the current incumbents don’t have.

Might work actually. Also in his role as the world's most overrated player he is currently costing us about a goal a game so might be good to get him further away from his own goal.

Well we are now in a realigation dog fight, but I still think we can get out of it.
However we have to put most of our senior players in against the bottom of the table side.
Not kids except we do have a problem who to play up front with Simon.
Experience and a possibility to score goals from midfield is a must.
I would go a revised 4-4-2. This to me is a game for one winger Micheal Kightly with Charlie and Simon up front. Midfield Hyam (enforcer If fit) Dieng and Mantom in midfield (Those two more liable to score goals. Defence Demi, Hart, Kiernan and Harry.
What C.P. must do is keep a eye on who is running out of puff, or should I say cant keep up with pace. So the bench is important. If and its a big if, Oxley back for Nathan if fit enough.!!

Oxley/Bishop

Demi Lennon Kiernan Hart

Hyam

Dieng Mantom

Kightly (Either Wing Switching)

Kelman Cox

Subs Oxley/Bishop. Turner. Moore. Dru. Mclaughlin. Wabo. Bunn.

We need to accept that we may actually lose on Saturday but that wont necessarily be the end of the world or relegation.

For us it is the worse time to play Wimbledon -they have 4 wins in their last 6 league games and only one defeat -in the 90th minute to Charlton.

They will come thinking they have a great chance of winning and have not conceded in 3 games.

Somehow we need to get the game into their half - I don't think 5 at the back will do that -McLaughlin needs to come back in and Dru with Kiernan returning. Get rid of Turner, and maybe Moore and Dieng.

At least Sam can shoot - not seen any thing from Dieng and Hyam.

I think Wimbledon will come expecting to win which may help us provided we have Cox and Wabo up front as two true strikers, supported by attacking midfielders. I do think that we will win this, which is unfortunate because I am never right (ask my wife....).

Every week I look at the options to pick from and every week I despair at the lack of a midfielder who can run forwards.

There's still lots and lots of football left to play and this is a bonkers league; only 5 points separate 12th and 21st. Indeed, until Scunny equalised we were actually 12th. Bearing in mind our superior goal difference to all but Bristol Rovers, we could shoot back up the league on Saturday with a win should those immediately above us fail to win.

It's a very tough decision for SCP regarding the starting line-up on Saturday. I would go for a back four of Demi, Lennon, Kiernan and Hart.

Midfield is much more tough: lots of ifs and maybes. For example, I would probably have Macca on the left but it depends on how fit he is given the arrival of a new child. If not, I'd have Bunn there. In the middle I'd have Hyam and Mantom with Dru on the right (he can play there). So essentially that would be a tilted/lopsided four that both PB (with Atkinson) and Tilly (with Pettefer).

Obviously Cox up front but with whom? The mercurial Dieng has done OK there, Kightly can play there and by all accounts Bunn played well in patches yesterday. I'd probably go for the latter unless he has to play on the left, in which case I'd go for Dieng. Kites these days is more suited to an impact sub role anyway. Kelman is not ready to start yet, IMO.

Subs:

Smith, Moore, Kites, Kelman, Klass, Dieng, Wabo

No Turner, if you are wondering. His creaky legs need oiling and as well as Moore, Dieng can slot into defence if there's another injury crisis.

Currently my mood also.

Still a bit raw from last nights display.

But we live in hope. I hate relying on other teams results in order for us to survive.

However, other teams around us also have a couple of tough fixtures this weekend.

I can't see Gillingham getting much change out of Luton, neither Walsall V Sunderland or Brizzle V Charlton.

Also Rochdale have Accrington away & Shrewsbury have Wycombe.

Mind you Oxford V Bradford could be a bit of a balls breaker for us.

Last edited:
Back