• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v AFC Wimbledon

Starting XI for Saturday and your expectations on the result.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I went for a 4-4-2 line up, saying that CP will probably opt for a 7-2-1- line upi but no mind here goes
Bishop ( as i dont know how fit Oxley is or how ready Smith is )
Demi,Moore ( seen a lot of her movies) Keirnan ,Hart
Hutchinson,Hyam, Klass, Dru
Cox (capt ) Bunn.
Subs Smith,Lennon,Kightly,McLaughlin,White (if fit )Dieng,Wabo.

give Elvis a rest,play Hutchinson and Dru as the 2 wide midfielders,White if fit can play either fb positions if needed ,have cover for both Hutchinson and DRU if required.Yes no Mantom ,give hima rest aslo

For me, it's time to go 4-4-2 at home and pick the best, inform players we have for each position. I would go for:

Oxley

Demetriou Kiernan Lennon Hart

McLaughlin Yearwood Hyam Bunn

Wabo Cox

Subs: Bishop, Moore, Turner, Mantom, Dieng, Kightly, Kelman​

If Oxley's fit, then he needs to come back in. Bishop's been great but reckon his confidence may have taken a knock last night. If both fit, Kiernan and Lennon should be our number 1 centre back partnership. Mantom and Dieng need dropping - time to give Dru another shot. The two best wingers are Bunn and Macca at the moment, and I think although Kelman has done nothing wrong, I think Norman deserves a go as our no.2 striker and he looked lively last night when he came on.

Powell needs to make the decision early, work the team hard, practice set piece routines and try to lift them after last night's shocker!

I went for the same line-up except for Kelman instead of Wabo. To be honest, there isn't much between the striker options after Cox, IMO.

I had exactly the same reasoning regarding the goalkeepers as well. Bishop is young and needs a bit of protection.

... I would probably have Macca on the left but it depends on how fit he is given the arrival of a new child.

I don't think he is the one that gave birth though. I may be wrong as biology wasn't one of my strengths at school.

Anyone know if JW is fit for Saturday?

I’d like to see him at the back with either Kiernan or Lennon.

Also having seen a bit more of Hart he’s improving each game, hopefully a plus point. Can’t help think he’d make a great winger though. Problem is whomto play at LB behind him?

Also really like to see Wabo get a start, from the cameo appearances he seems to be quite skilful, but who knows really...

Team wise I’d say Shrimpergary is what I’d go for, given who is currently fit.

Last edited:
Anyone know if JW if fit for Saturday?

I’d like to see him at the back with either Kiernan or Lennon.

Also having seen a bit more of Hart he’s improving each game, hopefully a plus point. Can’t help think he’d make a great winger though. Problem is whomto play at LB behind him?

Also really like to see Wabo get a start, from the cameo appearances he seems to be quite skilful, but who knows really...

Team wise I’d say Shrimpergary is what I’d go for, given who is currently fit.

Dear god no! We want to win! If Kiernan, Lennon and Moore are all fit then it should be between them for starting. I would even put Turner ahead of White. He should only be used in emergencies for example is Demi and Elvis or Hart/Hendrie/Coker can’t play. His tendency to hoof the ball at every opportunity is not what we want.

Dear god no! We want to win! If Kiernan, Lennon and Moore are all fit then it should be between them for starting. I would even put Turner ahead of White. He should only be used in emergencies for example is Demi and Elvis or Hart/Hendrie/Coker can’t play. His tendency to hoof the ball at every opportunity is not what we want.
Be careful what you say about JW, you’ll have OBL after you!

Be careful what you say about JW, you’ll have OBL after you!

It’s the truth though those 3 are all better centre backs than White when fit. If they’re all fit why would bother playing White who is the 5th possible 6th best centre back at the club when Kyprianou is fit.

It’s the truth though those 3 are all better centre backs than White when fit. If they’re all fit why would bother playing White who is the 5th possible 6th best centre back at the club when Kyprianou is fit.

Oh come on, I'm not keeping quiet there. Of OUR players, he's 3rd best behind Kiernan and Lennon. Reads the game well, and has had many a forward in his pocket - something Kyprianou has never done!

Oh come on, I'm not keeping quiet there. Of OUR players, he's 3rd best behind Kiernan and Lennon. Reads the game well, and has had many a forward in his pocket - something Kyprianou has never done!

I’m sorry I disagree, he’s not a great Centre back, he was better as a right back but unfortunately for him we have Demi. Defensively White was better than Demi but didn’t have that forward drive that Demi has.

Still our best defensive full back, including Coker. Shame some people earning more than double what he does cant even perform in their own position, let alone as emergency cover at CB.

If CP had played him at RB instead of Elvis we would have more points than we do now.

Not that I think JW does but from now on at home a bit of Hoof ball is exactly what is needed. worked for Scunny the other night. lets see it down their throat for the first 15, as teams in our position at this stage of the season tend to lose games rather than win them. Far to often we have allowed teams to settle at RH without testing their keeper in the first 20/30. With some extra height now available even one good corner might well lift the crowd out of their seats. might just be the boost we all need.

Last edited:
Why all of a sudden is Moore our 2nd most consistant player all season become so out of favour.

Perhaps it seems harsh, I agree that over the entire season he's probably been our second best player behind Cox. However over the last month or so he's had an alarming drop in form, I don't think he could complain about being benched now Lennon and Kiernan are available.

Why all of a sudden is Moore our 2nd most consistant player all season become so out of favour.

I think it comes down to the fact that a lot of people want to see 4-4-2 against Wimbledon. Kiernan on paper is our best centre back, so if he’s fit then he starts. Moore has had a dip in form lately and played consistently through our poor run of results, so for that reason Lennon gets the nod.

Very harsh on Moore, but I too would go 4-4-2 against Wimbledon with Kiernan and Lennon as centre backs.

It's got to be 4-4-2 at home against the Wombles for me. Round pegs in round holes, go with a) form and secondarily b) experience / the need to play our best players into form.

Oxley

Demetriou Kiernan Lennon Hart

McLaughlin Yearwood Hyam Bunn

Wabo Cox

Subs: Bishop, Moore, Turner, Mantom, Dieng, Kightly, Kelman

It's time to:

• Bring back Dru
  • Drop Mantom
  • Drop Dieng
  • Rest Turner
  • Rest Moore
  • Start Wabo
  • Make Coxy captain
We need a very good performance, lots of intensity and desire - and we also need some luck. Keep it simple. Go out and play our game and let the extra quality we have tell. I reckon we could and should be aiming to win 2-0 or 3-0 and resuscitate our season. Come on Blues!!

Not the side I would necessarily pick but this is what I’d expect CP to go with in the circumstances....

1. Oxley (if fit he will replace Bishop for this)

2. Jason Demitriou
3. Sam Hart
4. Luke Hyam
5. Harry Lennon
6. Rob Kiernan
7. Sam Mantom
8. Tim Dieng
9. Harry Bunn
10. Simon Cox
11. Stephen McLaughlin

12. Taylor Moore
13. Nathan Bishop
14. John White
15. Dru Yearwood
16. Norman Wabo
17. Michael Turner
18. Isaac Hutchinson

It won’t be free flowing but he will go for the steadiest hardest working reliable 11 he can muster

I'd go

...................................Oxley (if fit)
Bwomono... Kiernan ... Lennon... Demetriou
.............................Hyam.... Yearwood
......McLaughlin...... Kightly.........Bunn
.....................................Cox

Subs: Bishop, Moore, Dieng, Mantom, Hutchinson, Wabo, Kelman

I'm loathed to start Kightly (and may stil change my mind) but I'm not sure if Hutchinson is ready to regularly start so will plan to bring him on after an hour when Kightly tires.

ps Would people consider this an attacking team or a defensive team?

Im not sure Kightly or McLaughlin bring any genuine or reliable attacking threat, and sure as **** don’t defend, so I’d have to exclude them from any answer to the above question (and preferably the matchday squad too).

Without them, I’d say your side is balanced if short of numbers and vulnerable on the right hand side of defence.

Can you ever recall John White shirking challenge? He goes well up the list because of that in my eyes. I thought Lennon looked very anonymous on Tuesday and Turner rarely gets near enough these days.

We need JW in a battle.

I'd go

...................................Oxley (if fit)
Bwomono... Kiernan ... Lennon... Demetriou
.............................Hyam.... Yearwood
......McLaughlin...... Kightly.........Bunn
.....................................Cox

Subs: Bishop, Moore, Dieng, Mantom, Hutchinson, Wabo, Kelman

I'm loathed to start Kightly (and may stil change my mind) but I'm not sure if Hutchinson is ready to regularly start so will plan to bring him on after an hour when Kightly tires.

I like that side and it’s defijtely one I’d happily go with. I’m not Maccas biggest fan and I think if Kightly plays anywhere it has to be where you have him now....

Options for me would be :-

Taylor Moore or Demi at RB or is consoder Demi in CM alongside Hyam...just for this type of game

Back