• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v AFC Wimbledon

Starting XI for Saturday and your expectations on the result.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For me, it's time to go 4-4-2 at home and pick the best, inform players we have for each position. I would go for:

Oxley

Demetriou Kiernan Lennon Hart

McLaughlin Yearwood Hyam Bunn

Wabo Cox

Subs: Bishop, Moore, Turner, Mantom, Dieng, Kightly, Kelman​

If Oxley's fit, then he needs to come back in. Bishop's been great but reckon his confidence may have taken a knock last night. If both fit, Kiernan and Lennon should be our number 1 centre back partnership. Mantom and Dieng need dropping - time to give Dru another shot. The two best wingers are Bunn and Macca at the moment, and I think although Kelman has done nothing wrong, I think Norman deserves a go as our no.2 striker and he looked lively last night when he came on.

Powell needs to make the decision early, work the team hard, practice set piece routines and try to lift them after last night's shocker!

This is one of three must win games (Shrews and Wycombe being the others). Cox and Wabo should start up front. Please don't just have Cox on his own CP........

Last edited:
Win, lose or draw options have now been added to the bottom of the poll to help GBJ with his thread on the next match.

For me, it's time to go 4-4-2 at home and pick the best, inform players we have for each position. I would go for:

Oxley

Wabo Cox

If Oxley's fit, then he needs to come back in. Bishop's been great but reckon his confidence may have taken a knock last night. If both fit, Kiernan and Lennon should be our number 1 centre back partnership. Mantom and Dieng need dropping - time to give Dru another shot. The two best wingers are Bunn and Macca at the moment, and I think although Kelman has done nothing wrong, I think Norman deserves a go as our no.2 striker and he looked lively last night when he came on.

Powell needs to make the decision early, work the team hard, practice set piece routines and try to lift them after last night's shocker!

Completely Agree with that team

Try Moore in midfield protecting the back 4.

He has energy, pace and works hard which are three things the current incumbents don’t have.

Last edited:
Look at the main reasons for our performance and the result last night.....

We started brightly fair enough. We have good seasoned pros coming back and the adrenalin was flowing and everyone looked lively....

BUT.......training and League 1 matches are a world apart and the refusal to have made several players travel to a 23s game backfired in my opinion and bringing so many back in to start games especially on a heavy pitch after a long journey was a poor decision. I know 23s games aren’t a great substitute for real matches but we don’t have time and should’ve used every opportunity we had to give them minutes...

I just knew that as the game wore on, players would gradually lose the pace of the game, some before others, but we started with 4 players lacking a real base fitness and match sharpness and once they started to tire (Bunn tired after 30 mins.....the rest progressively over the next 30) we were in trouble.

It doesn’t take much....and it’s a snowball effect when Bunn for example stops putting defenders under pressure, the ball stops sticking, Cox then tries to compensate.....now your front two are ineffective....Hyam started to cover less ground, he gradually saw less of the ball...now we have less possession and spend longer chasing....which two players are struggling with....

Gradually after more and more pressure (Scun had 60% possession by half time!!) we start to concede ground, gove away more set pieces and are unable to track runners....forwards only need half a yard on a tiring Lennon / Demi and hey presto!!!!!

Why is this a surprise? It was a gamble but unless you can spot the signs early and have the squad to make changes that maintain the previous levels you are stuffed!!

Go with players that are fully fit and can run and play with energy and enthusiasm.....football is an athletic sprint sport.....if you have to gamble on one or two then spit the signs early for changes...

Bishop

Demetriou

Kiernan

Lennon

Hart

Bunn

Yearwood

Hyam

McLaughlin

Wabo

Cox

What we’re doing at the moment clearly isn’t working. We need to win there’s no other option, so we need to go attacking from the off. I’ve not been impressed with Hyam, but he’s not too keen on going forward so it may actually work with Dru alongside him. Wabo despite all of the discussion, clearly has a knack of scoring goals and with 20 this season, what’s the harm in throwing him in from the start and seeing how he does. He’s not going to do worse than what’s gone before him is he?

Worked really well so far this season. I've never seen any evidence to suggest we've worked on a single set play

Oxley

Wabo Cox

100% agree with this mate. Apart from Bishop/Oxley depending on fitness, anything other than that lineup would be a huge disappointment for me.

Simple 4-4-2. Two wingers, two strikers and Yearwood to play like he did end of last season by just running at the opposition knowing Hyam is covering him behind.

If the quality of that team can’t beat bottom of the league then Powell’s position is untenable.

I’m counting 6 players in there that clearly aren’t fit.....

And while we all moan about CP and his chopping and changing we are all as guilty of making instant snap decisions based on right now, the last thing I saw!

CK scores from halfway line - he must start he’s our saviour......he wasn’t ready, it showed at Blackpool.

Wabo comes on for 15 mins shows a couple of nice touches - forget CK, Wabo must start.....

It’s happened since Xmas with several players!! It stinks of desperation. I said weeks ago someone needed to show some trust in whoever they believe is good enough, find a formation that suits our available players, work at it and find some form and consistency with it....

Unfortunately now it’s become too messy. We have no identity and we have run out of time to find some.....now it’s just sticky plasters covering over wounds that need stitches....we have to limp over the line somehow and start afresh

Worked really well so far this season. I've never seen any evidence to suggest we've worked on a single set play

Apart from 2 goals we scored against Blackpool. That’s without even looking into it. Come onnnnn.

(Yes some corners have been dog ****, listen to the total analysis pod with Ben Cirne and you’ll hear his assistant say we look at scoring from the flicks mostly, that’s why we aim at near post a lot, still, some have been ****e).

Apart from 2 goals we scored against Blackpool. That’s without even looking into it. Come onnnnn.

(Yes some corners have been dog ****, listen to the total analysis pod with Ben Cirne and you’ll hear his assistant say we look at scoring from the flicks mostly, that’s why we aim at near post a lot, still, some have been ****e).

Dont get me wrong it helps when we have some of the bigger lads up there like Lennon, Kiernan and Turner but I'm generalising over the whole season and set pieces haven't been good enough, at either end

I’m really not sure why we let Mantom take so many corners either. He rarely delivers a decent corner. We must surely have better.

Weirdly I'm quite looking forward to Saturday - we might win...I hope we win...I pray we win...please can we win...

I’m really not sure why we let Mantom take so many corners either. He rarely delivers a decent corner. We must surely have better.

Not sure how Mantom is in the team. Not sure how Manton is on set pieces. Not sure how Mantom has the armband

Dont get me wrong it helps when we have some of the bigger lads up there like Lennon, Kiernan and Turner but I'm generalising over the whole season and set pieces haven't been good enough, at either end

Yep, this is fair.
At some points defending from set pieces has really been so awful. Surely this is down to players alone.

When you mention Lennon and Kiernan I still pray we will just about have enough to stay up. Pleaseeee.

Yep, this is fair.
At some points defending from set pieces has really been so awful. Surely this is down to players alone.

When you mention Lennon and Kiernan I still pray we will just about have enough to stay up. Pleaseeee.

If we stay up I think it will be a case of we just run out of games.

I honestly can't see where the next win is coming from. Can't see where the next clean sheet is coming from. Of course, I'd love to be proved wrong, I'm not going into Saturday or any game and wanting to lose but I'm trying to be realistic and we need a run of form now in the last 9 games that I don't believe we've had in 9 games all season

Back