• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Southend United v AFC Wimbledon

The Big Dady

¡Viva la Kevolución! ⭐️ ⭐️
Staff member
The Official Match Thread brought to you by ShrimperZone.com

So here we are the nineteenth League One home game of the 2018/19 season and Chris Powell’s first full season since his return and time in charge at the Mighty Shrimpers.

Our nineteenth match at home is against AFC Wimbledon

SkyBet League One.jpg
SUFC.jpgVS.pngimage.png

It is now time for ALL of us to get behind him and the team whether you are at Roots Hall, listening on the radio, or listening/watching on ifollow, and make that famous "Roots Hall Roar".

Chris Powell's 19th Southend United League One Home Team of the 2018/19 season

D1yPkFQWoAcI_An.jpg

The Roots Hall pitch looks fantastic and is ready for action at 3.00 pm Saturday 16th March 2019 against AFC Wimbledon, It looks like we are going to have an overcast afternoon and it will be extremely windy South Westerly breeze so wrap up warm.
D1yEKMTXQAA5prj.jpg

The weather forecast for today at Roots Hall

SUFC AFC Wimbledon Weather.png

Chris Powell’s current League home record

Won 12
Drawn 3
Lost 11
Goals scored 46
Goals conceded 33

League Positions Last Season

10th (2017/18 Season) League One Southend United
18th (2017/18 Season) League One AFC Wimbledon

League Positions Current Season

18th (2018/19 Season) Southend United
24th (2018/19 Season) AFC Wimbledon

Recent League Position Change

SUFC v SUFC Positions.png

Previous Five Meetings

AFC Wimbledon 2-1 Southend United (L1 24/11/18 Att. 4,195)
AFC Wimbledon 2-0 Southend United (L1 01/01/18 Att. 4,392)
Southend United 1-0 AFC Wimbledon (L1 26/09/17 Att. 5,881)

AFC Wimbledon 0-2 Southend United (L1 25/03/17 Att. 4,803)
Southend United 3-0 AFC Wimbledon (L1 26/12/16 Att. 8,493)

Head to Head record

Southend United Wins: 8
Draws: 2

AFC Wimbledon Wins: 5

Special Notice

Today's the day we pay our respects to Sid Broomfield, a club legend and a man whose contribution to Southend United will never be forgotten.

Sid Broomfield.png

We will observe a minute’s applause prior to kick-off in memory of Sid Broomfield

On Saturday the club will pay its respects to Sid Broomfield who sadly passed away two weeks ago.

Sid was only 30 when he was handed the task of building a new stadium for Southend United.

The visit of AFC Wimbledon will be the first opportunity for us to pay tribute to a club legend, a man whose contribution to the very fabric of Southend United will never be forgotten.

A member of the Broomfield family will lay a wreath in the centre circle before a minute’s applause is observed prior to kick-off.

D1yEKNSWkAEXRTw.jpg

Saturday’s programme is dedicated to Sid with the cover changing to a one-off style of that resembling the first game at Roots Hall against Norwich City in 1955, as well as an obituary included inside. These are on sale at the normal price of £3 and available from the sellers located around the ground and at half-time.

Please join us at Roots Hall as we remember a Southend United legend.

RIP Sid and thank you for building our Roots Hall

Wiggle it, Just a Little Bit!

Managers Pre-match Views

AFC Wimbledon

Wally Downes talks to their OS before travelling South to Roots Hall

Wally Downes said the performances of substitutes in recent games has given him a selection poser for the League One match at Southend United on Saturday.

The Dons go to Roots Hall on the back of a run of four wins in six league games and two victories on the bounce, but Dylan Connolly, Shane McLoughlin, and James Hanson have all made key contributions after coming off the bench.

Speaking during an interview, Wally said: “The last two games are gone and it’s all about winning the next game. Every match poses you different problems and it’s about how you adapt and adjust to those problems. It’s a bit of a quandary: Do you change a winning team that has kept three clean sheets or do you freshen it up with the players who came on and did so well the other night?

That’s a part of my job that I will have to mull over during the next 24 hours. You have to upset some and keep others happy, it’s the difficult part of the job. Whenever the substitutes have come on recently, they’ve done well for me. The players are more results-driven than you realise. It’s the results and clean sheets that give them pleasure. It’s not always the performances that give them pleasure, they are results-driven human beings.”

Wally reported that Deji Oshilaja returned to training today after a foot injury, but tomorrow could come too soon for him. Though Kwesi Appiah and Rod McDonald have made progress, they are not deemed ready to be in the squad.

“Everyone is fit out of the players involved the other night. Deji was back out with us today, but Kwesi is having some tests done on his hamstring. Rod McDonald is fit, but probably not ready to be involved in the game, so he is going to be doing a couple of physical days over the weekend. Then he will train with us with a view to playing next Saturday.”

Our manager expects to come up against a Southend side with a point to prove after recent defeats and Chris Powell is a man he knows well from their time together at Crystal Palace.

“The place (Southend) has changed I’d imagine since I used to go down there. I’ve only seen it on the videos that I’ve been watching of the games, but Chris Powell, who is one of the players I had when I was at Crystal Palace, is in charge and he gets them playing the right way. They’ve not had a successful couple of games and he will be looking to turn me over, that’s for sure.”

Link to full story
https://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/2019/march/wally-considers-his-options-for-southend-challenge/

Southend United

Chis Powell talks to the OS ahead of the game with AFC Wimbledon

Chris Powell says it’s only natural that confidence is lacking but is striving to overcome the hurdles that they face.

Blues are without a win in nine matches heading into Saturday’s visit of bottom of the league AFC Wimbledon.

The Dons, though, have won their previous two games, and Powell is hoping his side can kick start a positive run of games similar to how Wally Downes side have picked up of late.

“There are nine games to go now and we can’t dwell on Tuesday night,” he said. “You accept it because you have to, but you have to move on.

“Now what we have to do is look forward to the next game.

“We’re under no illusions what lies ahead so we need to get around one another. This is where you really support one another and then you go from there.

“Confidence is one thing that any sportsman or woman will tell you that sometimes things become very automatic when you’re confident.

“You don’t think or over think anything. Those negative thoughts are not in your mind, but even something so simple as conceding the first goal after going ahead, a very unfortunate goal, you can tell a few players think here we go again, without even thinking well it’s 1-1 let’s get on with it.

“That’s the mind and that’s what happens, regardless of all the work you do on the training field and all the talking.

“Ultimately you have to try and stay in the positive, but confidence is lacking, of course it will.

“The Blackpool game where you’re a few seconds away from a real confidence booster and in the end it’s almost like it’s not [despite taking a point from the game].

“You understand there are hurdles to overcome and we have to overcome them.

“We have to draw on experience, knowledge and trying to make it as simple as we can for the players because if you over think it then it becomes tougher.

“That’s where we have to support the group; myself, my staff and the supporters because they’re the only ones that can change it.”

Powell hinted at a change of routine leading up to the game to try and freshen things up but wasn’t drawn on the details of what that was.

“We’re doing something a little bit different on Friday and I’ve looked at that.

“I think a change of routine, a change of environment can help. Not always, because they’ve got to go out there and play, but little things do help.”

Link to full story
https://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/2019/march/chris-powells-afc-wimbledon-preview/

Wiggle it, Just a Little Bit!

Hmmm not sure what to make of that.

Oxley in for Bishop - unsure whether this is right as will Ox be match fit.

Dieng playing and Mantom not - Good that Cox is captain but Dieng has been worse than Mantom.

Cox on his own with Bunn possibly, should’ve gone for Wabo but we shall see.

Good to see Kiernan and Lennon starting again.

I think Kiernan will play CM with Dieng and Hyam

Can’t see how else there can be a balance with McLaughlin in the side....

No Elvis, Hutchinson, Klass or Wabo on the bench. Turner keeps his place and Yearwood can only make the bench.... And the worst thing is we are playing with only 1 striker

I'm not happy... Powell you've got to prove me wrong :Scared:

Last edited:
Even stranger for me after Tuesday is how Charlie Kelman gets on the bench ahead of Norman Wabo.....and I wasn’t ever NW biggest fan but what I’ve seen lately he’s a bigger threat all day long

I did see it....and call it.....

No :-

Bishop
Bwomono
Klass
Hutchinson
Yearwood
Wabo
Kelman

No happy, at all.

Mark Oxley has no right to just come straight back in. I don’t care if he has experience, the lad Bishop has been very good in his absence. First mistake.

Second mistake, 5 defenders and one striker at home against a team in the bottom four.. gutless. We don’t have the players capable of playing 3 at the back, Bristol Rovers has a field day exploiting the gaps inbetween the 3 defenders and if we aren’t careful Wimbledon will do as well.

Third **** up, Turner starting ahead of Moore.. I’m speechless.

That lineup, formation and choice of players hasn’t done anything to calm my nerves. I hope to be proved wrong but right now, I am ****ting it.

A tenner says Piggot gets the winner for them!

Thank f*** I can’t go today - CP has become more negative than PB ever was.

Jeez............. this looks bad. No Bishop, no Wabo. CP's staking his future on experience. I hope he's made the right call. I have a bad feeling about this.

I think Hart will play as a winger with Macca on the other side with Bunn and Cox up front.
So 4-4-2

I like CP, I want him to succeed, BUT 5 at the back, just Cox up top, two wingers with no targets to cross to.
Nah, I can't see it happening for us.

Back