• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Southend United v AFC Wimbledon

Baffling selection, I’m happy to be proved wrong.... so COME ON SOUTHEND!!!!

Not happy, though except for McLaughin it is the lineup I expected. Midfield total pooh! Defence decidedly dodgy. Goalie a liability.
No youth, no speed and no desire in team except for Cox. ??

Wasn't there some talk of Kiernan being viewed as a defensive midfielder nowadays rather than a centre back by our coaches? I can't see how this can be 5-4-1 or 5-3-2 because you don't play both wingers and full backs in those systems. If Kiernan is being used in midfield this selection makes more sense (although I'm hoping if that's the case Dieng is pushed up front with Cox because it worked well against Portsmouth).

It's ok … just asked A Cat Called Chicken "are we gonna win today?" (as he stretched out in his towel-covered incontinence pad laden plastic box) and I'm sure he replied "you betcha!" in Chick-speak.

Chicky Ball.jpg

Mantom gets dropped after two of his better games.....not sure how I’d feel as a skipper when you lose 4-1 away and you are the only change to the line up......

I did see it....and call it.....

No :-

Bishop
Bwomono
Klass
Hutchinson
Yearwood
Wabo
Kelman

Yep, this from a manager that is apparently good with youngsters!!

5 at the back, dropping Bishop - sorry, but CP needs to go now

No happy, at all.

Mark Oxley has no right to just come straight back in. I don’t care if he has experience, the lad Bishop has been very good in his absence. First mistake.

Second mistake, 5 defenders and one striker at home against a team in the bottom four.. gutless. We don’t have the players capable of playing 3 at the back, Bristol Rovers has a field day exploiting the gaps inbetween the 3 defenders and if we aren’t careful Wimbledon will do as well.

Third **** up, Turner starting ahead of Moore.. I’m speechless.

That lineup, formation and choice of players hasn’t done anything to calm my nerves. I hope to be proved wrong but right now, I am ****ting it.

Bishop was at fault for two goals Tuesday. He’s made some very good saves and looks a fine prospect but has been at fault for about half a dozen goals so far. Oxley was player of the year last year. If he’s fit this was a no-brainer.

Looks like we’re playing 3 at the back. Our best form this season has been when we went to three central defenders so it’s strange that you think we don’t have the players to play 3 at the back.

It wouldn’t have been my line-up but some of you are just looking for excuses to be angry.

Wow, just wow. No Wabo, I thought he looked up for it when he came on, Tues. The only thing I can say is that is a strong bench!

Be interesting to see how this lines up before making too many judgements.

Seems to me from reading a lot of the above, it didn’t matter what direction Powell took, he was always going to be criticised for it. That team is definitely strong enough to win this game, and I expect them to go and do it.

Yep, this from a manager that is apparently good with youngsters!!

5 at the back, dropping Bishop - sorry, but CP needs to go now
Maybe he is protecting the youngsters from what might be a poisonous atmosphere? But in a way i also agree with you. 5 at the back, one small striker and two wingers doesn't look promising.

I remember the clamour for the likes of McGoalshy as our saviour. Turned out he wasn’t.

There’s definitely an air of just waiting to be angry with Powell in many of the above comments.

wow, this is a positive thread, for months now we've been bemoaning our lack of fit senior players and as soon as CP throws them back in people are complaining that there are no kids.

Is it really a game to see what Wabo (the national league reject) can do? for me there looks to be a lot of flexibility in the team and we could be playing two up with Macca alongside Cox.

I know this is bad, but I was just going to get my ticket, saw the line up, and it's just not worth my little money. One striker and a zillion defenders. As a manager, you can't get a more negative line up. And if they hoof it up to Cox, it will just finish me off. No thanks. We played more or less the same against Scunthorpe, and still let in 4 with all those defenders. I shall be cheering them on listening on the radio. Come on Southend.

wow, this is a positive thread, for months now we've been bemoaning our lack of fit senior players and as soon as CP throws them back in people are complaining that there are no kids.

Is it really a game to see what Wabo (the national league reject) can do? for me there looks to be a lot of flexibility in the team and we could be playing two up with Macca alongside Cox.

We'll win.I do hope that's positive enough for you? :Smile:

Back